• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memo of absence

Status
Not open for further replies.

50missioncap

Inactive
Reaction score
Im new to the reserves and i need to write up a memo of absence becuase im am going to miss a weekend due to midterm exams. Does anyone have an example of a memo or a template?

Do a Search, there's lot's of examples around here. If your Chain of Command is asking for it, your MCpl should be guiding you in writing it. Ask him/her.

After you've done that, please read the following before posting again:

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

They're requestig a formal memo for a PRes missing a weekend ex?

I'm surprised, but impressd to hear of a chain of command that serious about getting troops out there. Which unit are you with?

I've heard that a lot of PRes regiments are doing so now. The Royal Montreal Regiment is doing so.  :salute:

Naralis said:
I've heard that a lot of PRes regiments are doing so now. The Royal Montreal Regiment is doing so.  :salute:

Our unit has done that for the most part the last few years. It depends on your Pl WO/CSM. I'm all for it. I'm sick of seeing 60 people on Thursday, and 15 on Friday night.

That sounds pretty harsh.  My unit normally they just have the little gather round half circle when the platoon commander or whoever reads off the names and asks if you're coming or not, and if you say you aren't they go "why not?" then you throw out  your excuse, they bust your balls a little bit over it ie. "what do you mean you have to study for exams!" or "work? That's no excuse!" And then that's about it lol.

Thats weird because I never go to training exercises and don't tell anyone.  I guess every unit has a different protocols and regulations.  You should see my answering machine!  Chock full of army messages!  "where are you!" "pvt. ______ just calling to see where you were yesterday"  Sometimes its just hard to find the time and that unfortunate.  Its nice comming from a chill unit.

P.S. can anyone direct me to the medic message board?  I want to be a medic.

tookieman said:
Thats weird because I never go to training exercises and don't tell anyone.  I guess every unit has a different protocols and regulations.  You should see my answering machine!  Chock full of army messages!  "where are you!" "pvt. ______ just calling to see where you were yesterday"  Sometimes its just hard to find the time and that unfortunate.  Its nice comming from a chill unit.

P.S. can anyone direct me to the medic message board?  I want to be a medic.

Nice to see you dispelling the stereotypes of reservists. Maybe you should think about whether you want to soldier or not. Why are you taking up space and funding? Please do us all a favor and release.

If you want to be a medic, I suggest you first find your drive. It's probably located right next to your rucksack, which you appear to have no use for as well. I recommend you ask your CSM. Tell him that since you never go on ex, and don't plan to, you've misplaced these items. Maybe he'll sort you out.

No my unit is very determined to get me to go on ex.  They just understand certain people have school, work, etc. to attend.  I go every training night – and this is sufficient enough.  I have been told this by even a colonel. 

I believe that personal lives change very often, in that sense; it’s okay to miss training.  Since most people have to sacrifice a lot in the beginning of their lives – I hope, and others hope – the older army generation will understand that if these young people stay in, one day they can train more often.

I will release from the army after my time in Afghanistan, as a medic.  That’s why I am here!  Lots of cool stuff on this site.  Oh BTW I have basic and soldier qualify.       

tookieman said:
No my unit is very determined to get me to go on ex.  They just understand certain people have school, work, etc. to attend.  I go every training night – and this is sufficient enough.  I have been told this by even a colonel. 

I am always skeptical of people who seem to be able to make it out every thursday, but never seem to be able to make an exercise. The fact that you said you NEVER go on ex, and expressed a cavalier attitude, makes me doubt that you are being forthright here. Whatever, you want to be slack, go ahead.

tookieman said:
I have been told this by even a colonel. 

You spoke to your Brigade Commander about this? Or perhaps you mean LCol, your CO.

tookieman said:
I believe that personal lives change very often, in that sense; it’s okay to miss training. 

Right, but not ONE ex?

tookieman said:
Since most people have to sacrifice a lot in the beginning of their lives – I hope, and others hope – the older army generation will understand that if these young people stay in, one day they can train more often.

One day? One day I might win the lottery, but I'm not holding my breath. If you can't train now, go to supplementary reserve until you can actually train (thursday night social club is NOT training). Don't waste time and money.

tookieman said:
I will release from the army after my time in Afghanistan, as a medic. 

Good luck Skippy.

tookieman said:
Oh BTW I have basic and soldier qualify.        

You might have 'Soldier Qualification', but that doesn't make you a soldier. I could have a liscence to piss across the Fraser River, it doesn't mean I can do it.

Lots of great advice!  thanks.  Although my name is not Skippy.  If you do that Ill start calling you Caesar Salad,  ;)  Just kidding bud.  It was my CO I talked to.  I went to 1 training ex.  and won top soldier  got any more info?  Medic information?  have a good day.

QR&O 9.04 (2):

Subject to any limitations prescribed by the Chief of the Defence Staff, a member of the Primary Reserve may be ordered to train each year on Class "B" Reserve Service prescribed under subparagraph (1)(b) of article 9.07 (Class "B" Reserve Service) for a period not exceeding 15 days and on Class "A" Reserve Service (see article 9.06 – Class "A" Reserve Service), for a period not exceeding 60 days.

What this means is that Class A reserve service does present members with a legal obligation to train.  The training calendars for most reserve units involve around 40-50 days of training annually, which is less than the 60 that a Class A member can be ordered to attend.  Therefore, you are obligated to attend all unit training, unless formally excused by your chain of command.  The leadership within the reserves, recognizing the fact that Class A members have civilian work/school commitments, will usually excuse members from training if they ask in advance, but if a member just fails to show up, then he could be subject to both disciplinary and administrative action.

Tookieman: it must be nice indeed coming from a chill unit.  If you pulled a stunt like the one you describe in my unit, you'd be slapped with a verbal warning (first offence).  It would get more serious after that.  Furthermore, the chain of command in my unit would not support sending you on your QL3 course after the poor dedication you've shown to unit training.  Without completing a QL3 course, you won't be going on any deployment to anywhere, and you could be released from the forces as being not advantageously employable.  Maybe you should think about that.  Maybe you should also think about the fact that reserve medics are not deployed overseas in trade, as their training is not equivalent to that of their reg force counterparts.

Wake up to reality, kid.

tookieman said:

I believe that personal lives change very often, in that sense; it’s okay to miss training.  Since most people have to sacrifice a lot in the beginning of their lives – I hope, and others hope – the older army generation will understand that if these young people stay in, one day they can train more often.

I will release from the army after my time in Afghanistan, as a medic.  That’s why I am here!  Lots of cool stuff on this site.  Oh BTW I have basic and soldier qualify.         
I don't know, but to my unit -and most others I know of, Reserves is a responsibility - you treat it with respect like any other job you might do - you don't just NOT tell someone your not going to be there... A common courtesy goes along way.

PS - words come down pretty fast about attitude,actions etc to your chain- It's a small army especially through these means. You don't know who might perouse these boards and/or know your unit's staff... Just a heads up - been there, done that on a couple of occasions on a few different means and learnt from it.

hmm.. no age, mostly empty profile.... lax attitude...

I smell civie wannabe or cadet.

i know if this o2 thief was in my unit he/she would be sorted out fairly quick.

regards

Josh

You know whats funny.  I can do whatever I want.  It doesnt matter what you people say.  I am a reservist, I am in the army, I do WHAT I WANT AND ITS NOT UP TO YOU GUYS.  So deal with that tough guys.

I am tired of getting bashed here, its pathetic.  I just came around to find some useful advice.

tookieman said:
You know whats funny.  I can do whatever I want.  It doesnt matter what you people say.  I am a reservist, I am in the army, I do WHAT I WANT AND ITS NOT UP TO YOU GUYS.  So deal with that tough guys.

I am tired of getting bashed here, its pathetic.  I just came around to find some useful advice.

Really? Because as Res F ...you are still subject to the CFAOs, QR&O and NDA...best remember that. You swore an oath...don't want to comply? Do us a favour and get out then and don't let the door slam your ass on the way.

tookieman said:

So far several Staff members have tried giving you advice.  Since you refuse to take it,
You can enjoy some time off and read for a while.

OM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back