• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mental Health: Help line

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I was wondering if we can make a topic here in reference to a help line/important contact information for each base/detachment for mental health issues.

ie: If I was to "sings the blues", and I was attach to a base. Or  I never reach out to find help and is seeking now. What are the important numbers for CFB (Fill in the blank) mental health services?

Regards,
Schultz

If you are a CF member, Veteran, or family member, affected by an operational stress injury visit the OSSIS website at www.osiss.ca or call 1-800-883-6094 for confidential peer support.

dileas

tess

CF Member Assistance Program:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/assistance

1-800-268-7708 (24/7/365)
1-800-567-5803 (TTY/TDD)

Use caution as I have called the help line after a change in meds and yes a couple many beers, manly just wanted to talk to a doctor as I was not feeling well.....my address came out in conversation,,,i ...was told the police where being sent...in the meantime I went to bad...30 minutes later they are at my door waking me up asking if i call looking for help..yes i did as i was not feelling 100% because of the increased meds and alcohol...they ask my wife if she felt threatened, she said no he was sleeping...I said i really did not want to go evefrything was fine...and...whamo!!! arrested under the mental health and thrown into civie cells...Of course my chain of command is aware...I will never make that call again...

7 of Spades

As someone who just recently began the process of getting help, I would 100% suggest OSISS.. I tried MAP, and I did not have a positive experience with them at all. With OSISS, they have me set up with a peer group and people who actually care to talk to.

I've had to use MAP before - no issues, nor have any other folks I've suggested it to.  Being a health care worker, didn't like the idea of going to see the head crushers at work since they were across the hall from my RSM...just didn't feel warm and fuzzy about that.

7 - if you'd shown up in some ER's acting like that, you may have been formed as well if you come across the wrong way...of course calling up drunk and medicated can do that when the person on the other end doesn't know you, etc and you're talking all wacked out.  Don't not call them if you need them - just go by the rule I use alot and that's don't call anyone when you're hammered UNLESS REALLY NECESSARY. 

Oh yeah, and if you're taking psychotropic medication or any other for that matter, don't freaking drink...it'll just make you do and say silly things, and those things will make you feel even worse about yourself when you sober up  ;D.  It can also be lethal depending on what you're taking.  Not being sarcastic there - speaking from experience.

MM

I made use of MAP........best decision i made under the circumstances i was in. No issues whatsoever.

Mich's little rant..........

I recently was diagnosed with (mild) depression, and it became apparent at how ill equiped and stigmatizing the Cadet side of the military is with dealing with it, for class A reservists at least..... stigmatized, 'hidden away', removed from parading, rumors (apparently I'm more interesting to  than somebody under investigation)....in general, a lack of understanding. Note: I can only speak to my little class A/Class B corner of the world. I am very hesitant in accessing any service connected to the CF after my little encounter with the CoC.

I'm a social work student - so my background in 'mental health advocacy' will come in handy ;) because I will be using this as a positive experience to change the way we think, at least in my little circle of the world (yay, cadet lifeskills classes!).

So please, please please - educate yourself on options and watch out for your people. A mental illness is just that - an illness, and needs no other special treatment then medical treatment. Stimatizing people and removing people out of their normal enviroment (provided there are no safety concerns) doesn't help at all. Let the medical system (civilian/military) deal with things. 

/end little rant!  (Sorry for my off topic-ness)

Macey said:
New link that I think may be of some interest.  PTSD Info
Seriously? You re-awaken a necro-thread, to post a commercial for a DVD narrarated by "Marteen Sheen," featuring some "veternan," and when I clicked on "Contact Us" to find out about the people behind this, it set off all kinds of security alerts on my computer. 

Yep, it may be of some interest all right.  ::)

Back