• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

28Medic

Inactive
Reaction score
Selling this for a friend.
Men's Mess kit includes....jacket, pants, suspenders and cummer-bun (sp?)
This is a red bolero style jacket, pants are black with sanguine/burgundy strip down leg.
Jacket currently has WO rank, red jump wings and medical badge accouterments (items are easily switched)
Fits approx height... 5' 8" - 6' 1" and weight...180 - 200 lbs.
In excellent condition
Located in Ottawa...

Price: $200.00 ?? (willing to negotiate)

Reason for selling: both guys who wore this mess kit have left the medical branch and gone officer in the Airforce!

Is this for sale still - I am DEFINITLEY INTERESTED - NOW!!!

Do you have a waist size and jacket size??

This is an incredible price....

i paid 400 for used.... doeskin

is this doeskin or the other type of fabric...

even then.. 200 is a fantastic price. 

It is not Doeskin but it fits me like it was tailored for me ;D

By the way, is wearing the cumberbun or wiastcoat a choice or dress regs.
It came with the cumberbun but since then I have herd that the waistcoat is the way to go.

GF

I believe (and will confirm with RSM in the morn)...

Cumberbun - up to and including WO, MWO/CWO - waistcoat/vest.  Unless grandfathered with old style mess kit that does not accommodate waistcoat/vest.

Officers - waistcoat/vest unless grandfathered with old style mess kit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waistcoat

Hi there, I've searched the site, and found no answer!

I was wondering if there is any SSM's out there that may know off the top of their head.

Strictly hypothetical:

Say I have a member that was air force, they had completed an OT the the army.
The currently own a Air Force mess key, they wear it to functions, will they be required to but the army mess kit or are they still auth'd to wear their old air force mess kit with all past accouterments, IE Ranks, identifying trade parts etc?

Is there any direction or anything I remember i thought i saw something about mess kits recently that stated something along these lines but i cant find it now.

Thanks I appreciate the help!

WEAR OF MESS DRESS

57. Acquisition

a. All Regular Force officers are required to be
in possession of mess dress No. 2, which
shall be procured at individual expense.
Newly-commissioned officers are required to
obtain this order of dress not later than six
months after commissioning.

b. Mess dress No. 2 is optional for Regular
Force non-commissioned members and all
members of the Reserve Force. Acquisition
is the responsibility of the individual.

c. army colonels, on promotion to that rank,
may elect to continue to wear their previous
branch/regiment mess dress, with current
rank insignia, instead of the pattern
authorized for army colonels (less honorary
and Royal appointees) and described in
Chapter 6, Appendix 1 to Annex B,
paragraph 8.

58. CF personnel who purchased an obsolete
dress pattern while it was still authorized, may
continue to wear that uniform until it is worn out. New
purchases shall conform to current regulations.

59. Obsolete patterns include the following:

a. the CF midnight blue mess dress and pre-
DEU combat arms mess dress may be worn
by those serving on, and who purchased the
uniform prior to 19 June 1986;

b. obsolete mess dress patterns of the Royal
Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and Royal
Canadian Air Force may be worn by those
serving on, and who purchased the uniform
prior to 1 February 1968. Information on the
applicable regulations can be obtained from
NDHQ/DHH.

The hypothetical member's air force mess kit would not be "obsolete" in this case (despite it being identical to the "old" CF midnight blue mess kit).  In his case it is the current air force mess kit and inappropriate if he is now an army officer.  Although the regulations don't specifically cover this exact scenario, I think there is enough there to imply that he needs to get a new mess kit.  Furthermore, he should show some professionalism and dress properly for his new occupation.  How do his brother and sister officers feel about his reluctance to show he is a member of his new family?  All he really shows is that he is cheap.  Being properly dressed is the first mark of professionalism.  As for qualification badges (not trade badges), they can still be worn on his army mess kit.

How much does a mess kit cost? (new to the military, don't have any kit yet just curious)

DexOlesa said:
How much does a mess kit cost? (new to the military, don't have any kit yet just curious)

With my rank badges and mini medals I paid around $900 (in 2006) for NCM Mess Kit.

DexOlesa said:

Not plugging this company, but its local for me and has a good breakdown of what you can expect to pay: http://www.andreitailors.com/military-frame.html

Pick your uniform type, then element, and an option will come up to see the price. You'll be looking at the Doeskin items.

Make sure you spend the money to buy a high quality one and ask the tailor to put in lots of extra material for future expansion!  If you do that, it should last your whole career.

PuckChaser said:
Not plugging this company, but its local for me and has a good breakdown of what you can expect to pay: http://www.andreitailors.com/military-frame.html

Pick your uniform type, then element, and an option will come up to see the price. You'll be looking at the Doeskin items.

They also have "company reps" or recommended tailors across the country, accessed through their displays at CANEX.  So you don't have to visit their shop on Princess Street in Kingston.  ;D

As for "Doe Skin", it is more expensive and more difficult to maintain (Liqueur spills, Crud, etc.) than Barathea.  Barathea is cheaper, and looks just as good. 

I actually just picked up mine on Saturday. I went with the more expensive option (you only live once  right) and all in it came to just over 1300.00. That being said, th's with EVERYTHING (Except the boots - I will wear shoes) - shirt buttons, cuff links, bow tie, cummerbund AND minis (6 for $75). It is absolutely stunning and I highly recommend everyone getting them sometime in their career.

I strongly disagree that barathea looks as good as doeskin.  Doeskin is the ONLY way to go!  The colours are richer and it looks much sharper.  The key is not to spill your drink!

Pusser said:
I strongly disagree that barathea looks as good as doeskin.  Doeskin is the ONLY way to go!  The colours are richer and it looks much sharper.  The key is not to spill your drink!

Are you implying that one should only have one drink?    >:D

Back