• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Arts and Science Program

Good evening;

My name is Mike. I am currently in my application process to join the Canadian Forces Reserves and I have came across this program offered in my school.

I will make this nice and simple and just ask, has anybody and/or does anybody know anything about this program?

Any replies back will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers;

Mike F.

Here is a link for the course program.

http://www.niagaracollege.ca/studying/programs/fulltime/dmas_0590/

Looks like a cool program. Seems that you can tranfer credits towards an RMC degree too. Sorry Mike I have no additional info, but good luck and let us know how it goes.

Welcome, letsgotitans - "search" can be your friend....

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50991.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/49178.0.html

I was just curious if anyone has explored this route? Milnetnews.ca 's links (end of page 2 ) Lead me to the start of this thread, while the other was "off limits" OR "dead/deleted".

I was simply searching for any online programs with Humber (Ontario Colleges) that may seem interesting. Programs with open start dates and done at your  own pace i.e. Electricalmechanical Technician @GBChttp://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod/cewskcrss.P_Certificate?area_code=PA0029&cert_code=CE0184  , and this obviously caught my interest. I am not putting the cart before the course here just curious if anyone has explored this or know folks who have and their experiences.

I don't and will not have time for something like this program as I would first like to attain a degree in a previously studied area but I am curious how this worked out. Or if it hasnt at all.

Thanks

*note I searched "MILITARY ARTS AND SCIENCE DIPLOMA PROGRAM" and only this hit. If Iam unknowingly ressurecting a dead and beaten horse, I stand down and will get back to searching.

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ac-pe/ug-apc/dcs-dep/ap-pu-eng.asp

Try there.  I enrolled in the programme years ago.  It has gone from being pretty good to what I consider quite expensive for what you get.  I realize you can get it subsidized by DND to a certain extent, but I have become disappointed with the quality of the last few courses I have taken.

AmmoTech90 said:
...... but I have become disappointed with the quality of the last few courses I have taken.
No requirement to name names or point fingers, but.......in what way?

THIS is what I was fearing. There is an ILP for subsidies but my experience with anything Ontario Colleges get into, is  the prices climb and instructor quality is a roller coaster from the TOP to the very bottom. Again MY experience .

Still sounds interesting and worth further consideration if it would stand to help your career. I have alot of mandatory learning to do yet before this would be an avenue to explore. I am going to call tomorrow, Iam curious now.

Keep it comming.

Lack of feed back from the profs is the main one.

Lack of clarity in the text books/readers that caused me to seek feedback from profs.

Lack of guidance on what to expect for finals.  Now I know that you shouldn't be led by the hand through what is on a final, but in a residential course you get to know the prof to a certain extent and see what they stress and what gets dismissed.  This allows you develop an understanding/foreshadowing/something of what to expect.  This is pretty much impossible in a distance course and I recall that in some of the earlier courses you would have an exam outline (general multiple choice questions (25%), short answer based on subjects xyz (25%), and a choice of one of three essay (50%)) to help study from.

RMC has started nickle and dimeing for ever little change, and not necessarily in the nickle and dime range.  I know things are tough all over, but $50 to change programmes?  I've been at RMC for the last year, and I know that the process can be done by a phone call and five minutes.  The one that really gets me is the $250 for a PLAR.  This is military unit assessing the skills of a military member to allow them to develop professionally.

I started getting a hints a few years ago through this programme that RMC was getting out of touch with supporting the military side of things, especially military anywhere south of Highway 2.  The warning not to register yet because of potential budget cuts that is on their webpage seems to support that.

I actually got an ILP approved to do the BMASc at RMC and also had to get a PLAR done although the 250$ and the application fee was reimbursed thru
the ILP.  The only credits I got were from my second language profile. Nothing for military courses or my non credit diploma from another university.

AmmoTech90 said:
http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ac-pe/ug-apc/dcs-dep/ap-pu-eng.asp

Try there.  I enrolled in the programme years ago.  It has gone from being pretty good to what I consider quite expensive for what you get.  I realize you can get it subsidized by DND to a certain extent, but I have become disappointed with the quality of the last few courses I have taken.

How did you find the course load? Time line wise?

The course load is what you make of it as you don't have to take a set number of courses at a time.  I found that taking one course at a time was very manageable, two courses could get a bit hectic especially if work intruded.  I never tried continuing one over a deployment or military course.

AmmoTech90 said:
The course load is what you make of it as you don't have to take a set number of courses at a time.  I found that taking one course at a time was very manageable, two courses could get a bit hectic especially if work intruded.  I never tried continuing one over a deployment or military course.

Understood, thanks. Id imagine the 6 RMC classes are a bit more intense. Hopefully better represented and lead than the rest of the program.

McD said:
Understood, thanks. Id imagine the 6 RMC classes are a bit more intense. Hopefully better represented and lead than the rest of the program.

What 6?  There is no residential requirement that I know of.  If you mean the OPMEs then they are also run outside of RMC by Canadian Defence Academy.  I found them to be actually easier than the RMC courses.

I am not as familiar with this as you but here is where I got that from...

"RMC CoursesBAE101* Introduction to Defence Management and Decision Making
PSE123*Fundamentals of Human Psychology
HIE208*Canadian Military History: A Study of War and Military History: 1867 to the Present
HIE275*Survey of Technology, Society and Warfare
POE206*The Canadian Forces and Modern Society: Civics, Politics and International Relations
POE488*The Law of Armed Conflict"

http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca:80/dli-dai/dmasc-dascm/index-eng.asp#RMC

And / Or

https://www.senecac.on.ca/ce/programs/military_arts_science.html

After I finished my Chemical Engineering degree at RMC, I found that I wanted more of the history and politics courses... so I enrolled in the BMASc at RMC, I really don't need it but it's mostly by personal interest...

I got an ILP approved and am currently doing one course each semester. Like Ammotech said, you basically choose your own course load. I find that one course is very manageable with work and I find that most teachers are very understanding of military life in general and most of the time, will gladly accommodate someone if he needs a little more time to submit assignment or do exams. Being in the navy, I had more than once needed a modification of the exam schedule to do the exam while I was ashore in Halifax and never had to fight or complain for such a thing, everything was handled smoothly, it was a question of one or two emails.

I have to agree with the lack of info on the finals but most teachers, if asked, will gladly go over the format of the exam. In general, for the assignment, I find that the essay questions are generally quite vague but on the other side, I find that the teachers will accept pretty much anything if it is well written with a solid and logic argumentation. I even once or twice asked to write about a different subject than the required one because I taught the given subject was quite boring. Again, it you substantiate your opinion and give the prof the angle you want to use to tackle your subject, most of them are very happy to oblige and it provides them with something different to read. 
To conclude this part, you are your best teacher, you can either do the minimum to pass and get a check in the box or you can take charge of your education and explore the areas of the subject that really interest you, it's all up to you...

As for operations, I was able to complete a course while I was on deployment in Haiti during OP Hestia, it was very challenging having to study while doing the operation and thinking back I think it was plain crazy but on another aspect, it forced me to think about something else. Being on a ship, I know access to internet and study spaces is probably easier than during any land operations... For military courses, I guess it depends what kind of courses you're doing, I probably would not attempt doing a university course during a military course that requires spending any extended period of time in the field... On the plus side, at RMC, but only for operational reasons, (not sure it a last minute military course goes into that category) they allow you to drop the course without any impact on your academic history.

Of course, this is all from personal experience and yours may vary

Those course you listed are all either correspondence and/or OPMEs, no residential, although some OPMEs can be done on-site, across the country, with local profs drafted in.

The diploma programme is not the same as the BMASc although many courses are the same, you do not come away with a bachelors.

Yes, the DMASc and BMASc are not the same but the core part is, it seems it's only a question of credit number...

As for those 6 courses, they are both given as residential at RMC and by correspondence since they are core components of many RMC degrees and diplomas.

McD said:
If you choose to do either residential or correspondence for RMC courses, do not expect anything different from any other university, really it all depends of the teachers, some are really good, some, not so much... same thing for intensity, it depends on the teacher and the amount of work you actually want to put into it.

Understood. Thanks gentlemen, it looks interesting-purely from a knowledge growth stand point. A complementary bit of education.

I am going to focus on BMQ and getting trade qualified before taking on anything like this. However,  the input here will still ring clear should this become an option in/for my future.

God willing all goes well before, during, and after my training. Thank you.

Edit * In bold. My dunce cap is now firmly secured.

KrazyHamburglar said:
To conclude this part, you are your best teacher, you can either do the minimum to pass and get a check in the box or you can take charge of your education....
This should be beaten into students at a very early stage .... in a lovingly and informative manner, of course.

As for operations, I was able to complete a course while I was on deployment
I started my BA through correspondence. I got some strange looks while studying 17th Century Anglo-Dutch naval warfare, while in Bosnia's Drvar Valley  ;)

Yes, the DMASc and BMASc are not the same but the core part is, it seems it's only a question of credit number...
Although the reading material seems similar, I suspect you'd find the marking is based on higher expectations for the BA assignments.

Oh, and McD......
McD said:
A complimentary bit of education.
I believe you meant "complementary," as in "contributory, or making one complete" as opposed to "complimentary," as in "damn, aren't you pretty."

[Education will do that to you.......if you've got teachers who know the difference  ;)  ]

Back