• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Discounts List

Nope Best Buy bought out Future Shop circa 2001 or so rather than having to compete with them when they entered the Canadian market.  Now they wield a very strong market share with both stores together.

Ok, here is the savings I have seen:
McDonald's`s 15% given while in uniform, I did not ask, just surprised when I received it.
KFC 15% discount, while in uniform
Holiday Inn hotels have a discount, sometimes better than the internet rate, sometimes not.
Via Rail is still offering military discounts
The Running Room 15% off, just show id
Hubby has mentioned Subway giving a discount as well when he was in uniform

In the States: 
Movie theatres will have the prices discounted for military, Cdn military id works, we lived in Colorado for 4 years and never had a problem with it.
Shades of Green (military only resort on Walt Disney World) you have to be actively working with the US military to qualify to stay here; however, there is a shop in the hotel where you can buy discounted park tickets with your Cdn military id.
We found while living in the States that most places will advertise a military discount and if they do not, just ask.

That is all so far, I think I need to call Future Shop about the laptop I bought there last weekend :S

Air Canada will give you a military discount or if the plane is not full a seat upgrade from economy to business and Car rental companies also offer discount not sure of the amounts but i know they do.

Oh, we are planning a trip to Florida this year and Sea World is giving free tickets to active military, even Canadian military, and up to 3 free tickets for family, military id must be presented to qualify. 

Seafair in Seattle offers free admission to service personnel from both sides of the border.

bradlupa said:
Air Canada will give you a military discount or if the plane is not full a seat upgrade from economy to business and Car rental companies also offer discount not sure of the amounts but i know they do.

Probably the standard 10%.  May as well buy a lifetime membership to a hostel for $50, you still get the 10%.  ???

Marine Atlantic to honour Canadian Forces
with discounted travel

April 21, 2009

St. John’s - Marine Atlantic will honour Canada’s Canadian Forces personnel, veterans and their families with a special appreciation fare from May 1 to October 31, 2009.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 will provide Canadian Forces members and veterans with a complimentary passenger fare on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry route.  Up to three companions travelling in the same vehicle and on the same reservation will also receive a complimentary passenger fare.

“I am truly pleased that Marine Atlantic has chosen to honour Canadian Forces members and their families with these special fares,” said Rob Merrifield, Minister of State for Transport. “I hope they and their fellow Canadians will take advantage of all Marine Atlantic has to offer this summer.”

“Marine Atlantic is an important link to families and loved ones for Canada’s men and women in uniform from eastern Canada,” said Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence.

“The Canadian Forces’ history is steeped with stories of courage and bravery from Atlantic Canadians.  I am proud that Marine Atlantic and this government are recognizing and celebrating this historic past,” added Minister of Veterans Affairs Greg Thompson.

“The members and families of our Canadian Forces, both past and present, represent an integral part of who we are as Canadians and therefore we would like to thank them for their service through this promotion,” said Wayne Follett, President and CEO of Marine Atlantic.  “We look forward to our Canadian Forces and our veterans taking advantage of this appreciation fare.”

Additionally, members of the Canadian Forces will receive a 50% discount on their passenger fare when travelling on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service.  Up to three companions travelling in the same vehicle and on the same reservation will also receive a 50% discount on their passenger fare when travelling on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service. Normal fares will apply to the vehicle itself.

For a return booking consisting of four adults in a passenger vehicle booked under the Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry route, this represents a savings of $230.00.  Likewise, for a similar booking on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry route; this represents a savings of $322.00.

This promotion will provide individuals with a wide range of opportunities to travel to and from the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.  Some restrictions will apply to the Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009.  To reserve under this Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 beginning on Monday, April 27, please call 1-800-341-7981.  We apologize this fare is not available through online booking.  The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 is available on new and existing reservations.  Members of the military may avail of this opportunity anytime during the promotional period.  To avail of this fare, members and veterans must present required identification or documentation.

Media Contacts:
Tara Laing, Communications                          Christopher Hilton
Communications,                                              Office of the Honourable Rob Merrifield
Marine Atlantic                                                    Minister of State (Transport)
Tel: 709-772-8974                                              Tel:  613-949-8624
Email: tlaing@marine-atlantic.ca                    Cell: 613-697-7324

Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009

April 21, 2009

Marine Atlantic provides an essential transportation service between Newfoundland and Labrador and the mainland portion of Canada.  The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 has been designed to say “thank you” to current and retired members of the Canadian Forces for their ongoing service both here in Canada and abroad.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 will available to qualified individuals from May 1 to October 31, 2009, although with limited crossings being available for this promotion during the busiest periods.  The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 is available on Marine Atlantic’s Port aux Basques/North Sydney and Argentia/North Sydney ferry services and will be applied to new reservations and existing reservations for individuals who qualify.  Members of the Canadian Forces may avail of this travel as often as they wish during the promotional period.

Eligibility
For the purpose of this promotion Canadian Forces personnel are defined as active or retired members of the army, navy, air force or reserves.

An eligible individual possess one of the following pieces of identification, which must be used at the time of booking a reservation and presented at the time of travel:

* ID Cards for the Department of National Defense (Cards: NDI 20, NDI 30, NDI 50, DND 2262).
    * Record of Service Card (NDI 75) or certificate of discharge (together with photo identification) for retired military.
    * Any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card for veterans.
    * To qualify, individuals are required to provide identification.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 is designed to thank our current and past members of our armed forces by providing them with a discount when travelling for personal reasons.  Therefore, to qualify individuals must be travelling either in a personal vehicle (PRV) or as a walk-on customer.  This discount is not provided in conjunction with other special fares such as group rates.

Travel period
The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 will be in effect for travel that occurs from May 1 until October 31, 2009.  Some travel restrictions will apply.  Offer is subject to availability.

Details of the special fares
Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry service
Members of the Canadian Forces plus up to three additional persons travelling in the same vehicle on the same reservation are entitled to complimentary passenger travel on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry service.  Please note vehicle fares are not included in this promotion.

Members of the Canadian Forces travelling without a vehicle are entitled to complimentary travel on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry service provided they book in advance.

Argentia/North Sydney ferry service
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces plus up to three additional persons travelling in the same vehicle on the same reservation are entitled to travel at a discount of 50% off passenger fare on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service.  Please note vehicle fares are not included in this promotion.

Members of the Canadian Armed Forces travelling without a vehicle entitled to travel at a discount of 50% off passenger fare on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service provided they book in advance.

Booking a reservation
Marine Atlantic requires a reservation to travel on all of its vessels.  To book this special promotion beginning on Monday, April 27, current or former members of the Canadian Forces should:

Telephone Marine Atlantic’s Reservations line at: 1-800-341-7981.  This special fare is not available through our online reservations system.

When booking, please request the Canadians Forces Appreciation Fare 2009.

The primary individual on the reservation must be a qualified member of the Canadian Forces (not necessarily the driver of the vehicle).  At the time of making the reservation, the Canadian Forces member must provide Identification number located on one of the accepted forms of identification.

Please note:  Customers reserving under this fare will be subject to all of Marine Atlantic’s travel and change policies.

At time of travel
As proof of entitlement, upon check-in the primary individual on the reservation will be required to present the same form of identification as utilized when reserving the ticket.

Please Note: If proper identification is not presented at check-in, then the reservation will be modified and customer(s) will be required to pay regular fare.

Media Contact:

Tara Laing
Communications
Marine Atlantic
Tel: 709-772-8974
Email: tlaing@marine-atlantic.ca

Sweet! Only 399 dollars to get part way home to the Avalon! 400 in gas and I may actually get home and back to base in under 2000 dollars!

Really takes me about $300 (ferry/cabin+fuel through PB) to get me off the island

Civilization here I come!  I guess there is no excuse now, not to explore Halifax this summer.  It's almost the end of April and I still have snow in my back yard :crybaby:

NFLD Sapper said:
Really takes me about $300 (ferry/cabin+fuel through PB) to get me off the island

Factor in gas from Ontario and back. 2 kids a wife and a cabin.....two little ones....cabin is a must.Otherwise it would be 11 hrs of chasing boys around/off a boat.Its more of a pen than a cabin.  ;D

X-mo-1979 said:
Factor in gas from Ontario and back. 2 kids a wife and a cabin.....two little ones....cabin is a must.Otherwise it would be 11 hrs of chasing boys around/off a boat.Its more of a pen than a cabin.  ;D

gotcha  ;)

So, for those of you who got an "M" in the Planning and Organizational Skills, July / Marine Atlantic / VIA Rail could get you off da rock and over to "Couver for fairly cheap!!

Some paintball grounds give 10 - 15 % off when your in the military, this also applies at some times to emergency services. There's one in the ottawa area that does this...

Davis (HiddenFlame) said:
Some paintball grounds give 10 - 15 % off when your in the military, this also applies at some times to emergency services.

Paint ball grounds have emergency services?  Or did you mean if you have to call an ambulance after getting hurt while paint balling...... ;)

PMedMoe said:
Paint ball grounds have emergency services?  Or did you mean if you have to call an ambulance after getting hurt while paint balling...... ;)

I think what was meant was that you get a 10-15% discount on the emergency services as well as the paintball game. You know, for when your paintball section attack goes horribly wrong.

Chapeski said:
I think what was meant was that you get a 10-15% discount on the emergency services as well as the paintball game. You know, for when your paintball section attack goes horribly wrong.

:rofl:
SL: "MEDIC!" "IM HIT IM HIT"
Medic : "Where?!"
SL: " I Dont know where!!"
Medic: "OH GOD THIS IS BAD!!" "looks like I will need 2 wet wipes for this"

NJ transit give's you 50% off if you show ID, doesn't matter what country your from. Chances are if your travelling down there you aren't going to care about the 50 cent to 5 dollar difference in fares, but remember that it IS American dollars and cents I'm talking about, not Canadian.

Back