• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]

Who signs off on the Relocation Losing Unit leave pass? Does the OC of the gaining unit have to sign off on the Losing Unit Leave pass? Does anyone have a reference for this?

Also just to confirm are they entitled to 5 days leave for gaining unit and 5 days leave for losing unit when posted within Canada.

Thank you

Ok, so simple enough question. I'm posted to CFB Edmonton, and hold the rank of Cpl(harder to get posted without that leaf). My fiancee lives in Saint John, NB. Will being married assist in getting me posted to CFB Gagetown? And if not, and I need to look at moving my fiancee west, will being married get the move covered though Brookfield?

We're looking at a situation where my fiancee has a phenomenal career on the east coast. Her dream job really. It would be better for me to come east, and that is definitely the more preferable of the choices. Cheaper housing, she has that aforementioned dream career, and really its no skin off my balls. That being said, if the career mangler refuses my request, we're looking at an expensive move across the country to get her out to Edmonton.

Any tips for a situation like this. Or any answers? I simply don't know where to look for the information I'm hunting. I'd rather do this whole thing without pissing off the chain, as I currently am in fairly good standing...I think. Ha.

Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide.

Cheers,
Tom

Unfortunately, unless you're full married and recognised by the CF as such, your relationship doesn't exist to them and they will offer zero assistance.

What trade are you?
Assuming combat arms - all the schools (Inf, Armd, Arty, Cbt Engr) in Gagetown have Cpl positions in their support companies - drivers, storemen, en force, crewmen, etc. 
I know while I was in 3 RCR the career Mgr would send out the list of Cpl posns open outside the Bn for the next posting season - looking for volunteers who wanted to go to those spots.  If he can fill it with a guy that wants to go there - it's a lot better than posting an unwilling troopie, who might release, and then the spot is unfilled and he has to spend money again moving someone the next year. 
One thing about the Inf Sch posns - once soldiers got there, none of them wanted to leave, so there was a low turnover from one year to the next.  2RCR guys filled most of the RCR slots, since it was a no-cost move. 

RedcapCrusader said:
Unfortunately, unless you're full married and recognised by the CF as such, your relationship doesn't exist to them and they will offer zero assistance.

And even when married, you may not get the posting you want.

RedcapCrusader said:

Or have common-law status.

Right now your F&E(furniture and effects, aka your stuff) is in Edmonton, getting married doesn't change that.  While you are free to get married, the CAF expects you to move your new spouse to your place of employment, there is no entitlement to do this just because you got married.

As for a posting to Gton, your best bet is to take that up with your CoC, so that your RSM/Senior Tech can take your request to careers.  The other thing you can do is look at EMAA and see what positions their are in Gton for your rank and trade, write down the position numbers and add them to your requests both in EMAA and have your clerks put them on your MPRR so that your CM sees that on your file when he reviews it.  I beleive that in EMAA you can even now send a note to the CM telling him why you want a posting to Gton to sell your case a bit.

Now given this, the needs of the CAF/C Army are still higher priority to the CM than your personal needs, so don't expect him/her to completely reorganize his/her posting plot just for you.  But knowledge is power so having the CM know your case is a good start.

Jon

Old EO Tech nailed it on the head. 
You must make this equation work out:

(CM has a posn in Gagetown) + (He can afford to move a guy from Edmonton) + (Your CofC knows you want to go to Gagenam, and are willing to put your name in for it) = (your posting.)

So I received the phone call and can't be more excited. I will begin my journey 2 June.. 
I really would like to know what to expect. Its really hard to start over and almost feels like although i'm getting second thoughts.
I have a bought home and a wife.. I guess my question is. Has anyone gone through this. cut salery in more than half as a private and still maintained a living.
Is there still a demand in the trade..
Where are the most likely bases i would have to move to with my family.
Whats it like to buy a house or likeliness to owning a house again.

Im interested in knowing really what happens now its a huge life changing experience for someone like me that isn't starting fresh.. please share your insight.

thanks all

The CF doesnt make it easy for successful people to join up.. its a tough decisions so sell everything I own to start over. Reason to sell everything is because basic pay isnt high enough to pay the bills.morgage insurances basic home needs for family phone internet cable... has anyone gone through this..
Over 1800 views and nothing.

What happens now...

You're taking a pay cut, that's your choice.  Whether someone else has done it successfully is irrelevant, but I guarantee many have done it successfully.  You can, however, forecast your future pay in today's dollars buy looking at the pay scales.  You move up one level every year, and should be promoted to Cpl by the time you've been in for four years.

There is still a demand for the trade, and there will be as long as we have aircraft.  If there was no demand you wouldn't have been offered a position in it.

Most likely bases: no clue.  That's like asking today if it's going to rain on May 17th.  You'll be going to a base with aircraft, so that narrows it down a little.  You need to be open to all the possibilities, but they will ask you for your preference while you are on your course in Borden.  If you want more say, do better on your course.  They often try, as much as is in their power, to get those who do well close to the location they want to go.  But if you want to know for sure where you're going to go, then just ask to go to Cold Lake; I'm sure the Career Manager would be happy to fulfil that request.

Buying a house as a CAF member is the same as anyone else.  No idea what the likelihood of you purchasing again is: I don't know your financial position at all, or where you're going to be posted.  But many members buy homes.

The CAF does make it easy for people to join up, it just isn't that easy financially to switch to a second career once you've become relatively successful in your first.  They have developed an entry plan that pays you decently well for an unskilled worker, and then subsidizes your education on top of that!  Think about it: walk into an aircraft maintenance company and see what they'll pay you with your current resume to work on aircraft structures.  Won't happen.  You'd have to pay for school on your own dime and find the time to do those studies while working full time to pay for it.  With the Air Force, you're getting paid to learn the skills necessary to be productively employed later on.  That's a pretty good deal in my eyes.

No doubt you'll have to adjust your expected standard of living to accommodate your lower pay.  But that's a temporary situation.  It should be a "short term pain for long term gain" scenario.

ven said:
So I received the phone call and can't be more excited. I will begin my journey 2 June.. 
I really would like to know what to expect. Its really hard to start over and almost feels like although i'm getting second thoughts.
I have a bought home and a wife.. I guess my question is. Has anyone gone through this. cut salery in more than half as a private and still maintained a living.
Is there still a demand in the trade..
Where are the most likely bases i would have to move to with my family.
Whats it like to buy a house or likeliness to owning a house again.

Im interested in knowing really what happens now its a huge life changing experience for someone like me that isn't starting fresh.. please share your insight.

thanks all

Hi there. I am also starting my basic in June 2 at St. Jean. I'm going in for avn tech though. I have a fiance and we own a condo. We were thinking of renting it out while I'm at borden, with her moving down to borden with me. I don't know the exact details of the pay and if I need to be paying for quarters. Are there quarters for families on base while you are in school in borden ? If your wife is staying home. Maybe her getting a job to cover the lost income ? I'm still all new to this and am looking to also gain information from this post.

Thanks in advance.

Joey

If a member submits a memo to re-badge from one infantry unit to another would he pay for the move out of his own pocket or would the CF pay for his move?

The CF pays, that is why it is more common for people to re-badge while at a training centre than in an actual BN as it does not involve a move until their normal posting out of the TC.

Thanks.  This guy is already trained an in a BN. Is there any advice I could give him to try and increase his chances at getting approved for re-badging that you can think of? (I'm not familiar with the specific reasons he's asking)

ObedientiaZelum said:
Thanks.  This guy is already trained an in a BN. Is there any advice I could give him to try and increase his chances at getting approved for re-badging that you can think of? (I'm not familiar with the specific reasons he's asking)

Is there a personal or compassionate reason involved ?

If your troop is seeking for contingency or compassionate reasons, DAOD 5003-6 is the relevant reference.

However, these are not without ramifiaction as the troop is essentially saying that, unless his circumstances change, he cannot achieve universality in terms of service.

All other requests fall under the "please, if I may ask, can you move me?" category.

Remember that rebadging regimental affiliation and moving to a specific location are not necessarily the same thing. Don't request one if you actually want the other.

Example: if the member has a compassionate reason to move to Edmonton in the short term, but simply requests "I want to rebadge to PPCLI", there is every possibility that the member could receive a posting message to the 2nd Battalion in Shilo. Or to the Infantry School in Gagetown. Or an RSS billet in Winnipeg. All of which are perfectly normal positions for a PPCLI infantryman. If the member needs to go to Edmonton right now (possibly even on a contingency or compassionate move), then that's what he should ask for.

If the member has a more long term goal to switch locations (married a francophone girl, likes skiing, wants to raise his kids in French schools) then requesting rebadge is the way to go. A rebadge, for example to R22eR, would result in the bulk of your career being in Valcariter over the long term. But in the short term, there's no reason that you wouldn't be badged to R22eR and for your first posting in the new regiment to be the Infantry School.

Back