• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

What happens if somebody fails the swim test at BMQ?
Will they give a second chance for poor swimmers?

Yep. During swimming PT classes, all the bad swimmers/floaters/treaders are rounded up with another PSP staff to practice what they sucked at on the swim test. You can get a second and maybe even 3rd shot!

So they are not allowed to continue on BMQ until they pass the swim test then? Or do they still continue BMQ meanwhile?

I failed my swim test on my BMQ (wasn't at St Jean) and carried on to complete the course. Its mainly a water-confidence test, I was told as long as you attempt and give it an honest shot you'll be fine. Not everyone is a swimmer.

A1cool said:
So they are not allowed to continue on BMQ until they pass the swim test then? Or do they still continue BMQ meanwhile?

You continue on the course like everyone else. It's on the CF expres that you HAVE to pass.

That being said, depending on your trade you may need a swim test to take part in certain training later on in your career so if you are a bad swimmer, make an honest effort to get better when you are given the opportunity.

PMedMoe said:
I think the somersault is to see how you react when disoriented.  After all, if you fell of a ship, it might be head first, so they want to see how quickly you can orient yourself.

The lifesaving society does a swim test/program called Swim To Survive in which swimmers enter the water using a roll (either forward, side or backward), tread water 2 minutes and swim 50 m. their logic behind making usually kids do a roll is that is disorients them similar fashion to falling off a boat/dock ect and being able to right themselves to the surface.  FYI- the treading water for 2 minutes as to see where they are in the water and perhaps be able to call for help/ decide if it is safe to swim to shore/dock/boat ect. 50 m is because most people actually drown 10 m from safety surprisely and most people who find themselves in this situation were not expecting to be in the water.  They have other programs where kids/ teens/ adults swim in clothing, do workouts and all sorts of fun stuff.

just a note- as an instructor of adult swim lessons- a forward roll/ diving would not be covered in a learn to swim basic swim lesson. I tend to teach those to my more advanced students. If you are learning to swim, take the basic class- it is a great support system because you will be with other adults like you. But to cover deep end stuff and forward rolls- do a private lesson for those.

Hi, I'm an extremely passionate military fan and I am joining the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada or the Royal Westminster Regiment of the 39 Canadian Brigade Group in September of 2013.

I was wondering. I heard there was some sort of water test during BMQ? I'm not a very good swimmer (heck I can't swim to save my life). This worries me a lot. What can I do? Any advice or suggestions?

If you go to the RegF BMQ and can't swim then it's considered a "PO" failure. 3 "PO" failures and you get re coursed.

I don't know how it is for Reserve BMQ.

Speaking from my own time at BMQ only, we were all required to do the swim test, which consisted of, If I remember correctly, you have to swim 50 meters continuously after jumping in feet first, while wearing coveralls. (Abandon Ship) The second portion of the test is having to tread water for two minutes, then swim twenty meters. However, it was not held against us if we failed it. Two guys on my course absolutely couldn't swim and passed just fine.

We were all navy too, so when civvies hear what I do and say: "I hope you're a good swimmer" I always respond: "Not a requirement in the navy."

EDIT: I did my BMQ in the naval reserves, so I can't say for sure it would be the same for you.

PO stands for performance objective, which is a test you are required to pass. Failing too many will result in being RTU'd - Returned to Unit(If you are doing BMQ as a summer course, I don't know how weekend BMQ courses work that)

Now that it's been mentioned, I cannot recall if those two individuals got PO failures for the swim test or not. They might have, but if that was the only thing they failed, they would have still passed.

Well, even so, I don't want to look like a total loser not being able to swim. (Sadly I can't legally drive yet either: I'm 19....herp).

I have incredible amount of respect and awe for our military. The history behind it is amazing. Many people join without knowing about it.

Any other things I should know about?

shadownet said:
Well, even so, I don't want to look like a total loser not being able to swim. (Sadly I can't legally drive yet either: I'm 19....herp).

I have incredible amount of respect and awe for our military. The history behind it is amazing. Many people join without knowing about it.

Any other things I should know about?

No one on your course will consider you a "loser" for not being able to swim. They might yank your leg and tease you a bit but if they're doing that to you then it is a good sign. Everyone is different and most people who join the CF understand this after week 1.

What's a good way to start preparing for the physical fitness test? I heard it's nothing to worry about, but considering I haven't done any extreme physical exercise since Grade 10 PE.....

shadownet said:
What's a good way to start preparing for the physical fitness test? I heard it's nothing to worry about, but considering I haven't done any extreme physical exercise since Grade 10 PE.....

Start by searching these forums. There is more information here than you possibly need to know.
Good luck.

shadownet said:
I haven't done any extreme physical exercise since Grade 10 PE.....

I doubt your grade 10 PE would be considered "extreme physical exercise"

You want to start preparing for the physical fitness test?  It's call working out.. go for a run, lift weights, do pushups, etc.  Also keep in mind that PT test is pretty easy,  you will need to be at a pretty good level of fitness if you wish to be in the Infantry.

And if you want to improve your swimming,  practice.. take private swimming lessons, what ever you need to do to improve.  AFAIK there is no swim test in Army Reserve BMQ,  but depending on your career and courses you take, etc you may at one point be required to do one.

-Skeletor- said:
I doubt your grade 10 PE would be considered "extreme physical exercise"

Some people probably do consider that extreme  ;D

shadownet said:

Like Skeletor said, start working out.

LOTS of people heard that the physical test is "nothing to worry about" and they end up failing. I've seen a lot of people fail because they couldn't do the final 1 or 2 push ups.

I have been doing push ups lately...and using my brother's dumbbells. I should be ready by the time September rolls around. I might end up taking private swimming lessons...ugh...I hate swimming but I guess I have to suck it up and do it. No other choice

Thanks guys! You really helped me out here!

I'm thinking of joining the Canadian Forces in the near future, but there's something that's concerning me. I'm not a great swimmer; could this prevent me of attending the Leadership and recruit school in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu?

Thank you

Back