• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Milnet.ca Medic Q&A

mariomike said:
If you enjoy Paramedic Q and A's, here is something from my old "Dr God" aka Base Hospital. It is civvy, but may be relevant to the CF.
http://socpc.ca/paramedic_resource_manual.html

Thank you!

K.Schults said:
Thank you!

No, thank you. For providing the best patient care possible. Often under hazardous conditions.

Hi, I see it's been a while since this thread has been active, but I'll pose my question anyway

Currently I'm working for a reserve unit where you may not perform duties with a beard.

Today I got a shaving CHT because of some razor rash that has been spreading quite rapidly on my neck. The doctor asked me what I was looking for, so I asked for a no shave CHT. He gave me 30 days simply noting "no shaving", and sent me on my way.

Now, as you can figure out, I can't perform duties, and upon reflection 30 days is much too long and I've really pissed off the people higher up, and given them ideas to RTU my useless butt. Am I really stuck with this 30 day CHT, or would it be feasible to go back to the doctor once it's healed (say 2 weeks from now) to discontinue my CHT once the shaving rash has settled down? I'm essentially getting punished by my unit for having a skin rash here...

Thanks
- - - Roo

First off, you're not being punished for having a rash...you'd be RTU'd because you're not employable with the restrictions given, FULL STOP.  Secondly, if things have improved after a week or two, nothing wrong with going back to the MO and having that 30 days reversed - conditions change for the better or worse, so if it's better and you're able to manage shaving, shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck.

MM

Unrelated to illness & medical categories, but I'm sure a medic would know.

I'm a new MOTP student and my ULO has ordered a doctor's kit through the MIR for me but nobody seems to have a clue what's in it (not my ULO and no one at the MIR either, they also lost the shipping papers so they can't even look up the contents. OOPS!).

Anyone have a clue what's in this kit? We're starting some clinical stuff and are already needing some instruments. Just wondering what I can get away with borrowing from classmates until my kit arrives.

Thanks in advance!

af_med said:
Unrelated to illness & medical categories, but I'm sure a medic would know.

What is the standard issue steth in the CF?

I'm a new MOTP student and my ULO has ordered a doctor's kit through the MIR for me but nobody seems to have a clue what's in it (not my ULO and no one at the MIR either, they also lost the shipping papers so they can't even look up the contents. OOPS!).

The school recommends a Littman Cardio III, so I was wondering if it is part of the "doctor's kit" or whether I should go ahead and buy my own.

Thanks in advance!

The Littman is probably your best choice for now. I'm a PA and have been using my Littman for 12 years without a problem. Most of the docs in my ER also use the same model.

The MOTP kit used to have a Hewlett-Packard version of the Sprague-Rappaport type - a very expensive version of the 20 dollar double barrell things you see on TV.  They may have changed to the Littmans, as the Classic II is the standard issue, and when I was in PA school, we were issued the Cardiology III's.  I bought a Master Cardiology for myself later on.  Ask the local Base Pharmacy to contact CMED (Central Medical Equipment Depot) for the NATO Stock Number and Nomenclature for the kit so it can be procured for you (if they don't already have the parts - we did in Kingston when I was there many moons ago).

MM

Hey, People. I've a few questions, I'm midway through my Preceptorship phase at PCP school. I was wondering is there are any bridging programs from a QL5 Med Tech to a Civillian ACP?
Also, I was wondering if I need to be registered in the province in which I'm posted in order to operate as a CF Med Tech or is this only if I want to work on the Civvy side to keep certain skills sharp i.e. Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Bariatrics etc.

If these questions have already been asked then I apologize. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks people and have a great weekend!
-BadgerTrapper  :cdn:

BadgerTrapper said:
I was wondering is there are any bridging programs from a QL5 Med Tech to a Civillian ACP?

It is possible to "bridge" from QL5 Med Tech to Primary Care Paramedic ( PCP ) in Ontario.

"5.  (1)  The operator of a land ambulance service shall not employ a person to provide patient care, whether on a full-time or part-time basis, or engage a person to provide patient care as a full-time volunteer, unless the person is a paramedic who, holds the qualifications of an advanced emergency medical care assistant" ( AEMCA ):
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000257_e.htm#BK3

In 2007, the military approached the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care ( MOHLTC ) to permit QL5 Med Techs to challenge the AEMCA. In the past the Ministry has permitted this, but has required an additional 80 120 hrs ( minimum ) with a PCP preceptor crew.

"Recognition of QL5A & Challenge of AEMCA exam:
Reference A is a confirmation letter by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, recognizing the CF QL5 Med Tech as meeting the PCP requirements to challenge the AEMCA exam, all QL5 Med Techs are encouraged to prepare for and write this exam with approval through their Chain of Command.  Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario."

See attached .pdf from MOHLTC to CFMSS Commandant for reference.

Best of my knowledge there is no ACP bridge.  If you want to keep certain skills sharp, you'd likely need a provincial license to either moonlight or do MCSP/MCRP or whatever it's called this week.

MM

medicineman said:
If you want to keep certain skills sharp, you'd likely need a provincial license to either moonlight

If your local service offers part-time employment.

I worked for a career department. There were no part-timers, volunteers / auxiliary.

When the car count is below minimum, as it often is, it is covered only by overtime.

medicineman said:
or do MCSP/MCRP or whatever it's called this week.

As of late last year, our department offered this program to 57 QL5 Med Techs.

Some other services ( also as of late last year ) that offer it are: Ottawa, Renfrew County, and possibly Simcoe County. There may be a couple of others as well.

However, from what I have read on here, there may be some problems.

Adam said:
11 years in, and I have only had 2 shifts on Amb through the MCSP program.

There are similar posts.

Regarding mandatory licensing of Med Techs:

BadgerTrapper said:
Also, I was wondering if I need to be registered in the province in which I'm posted in order to operate as a CF Med Tech <snip>

Rider Pride said:
No, Med Techs are not required to have a provincial paramedic license.

Good day! I'm wondering if anyone can offer some direction - I was a reg force Med Tech and completed my QL3 in 2002, QL5 in 2005 and PCP in 2006. I'm applying for BSN, obviously through a civilian school now and was wondering if there is any type of access to course outlines and/ or transcripts from CFMSS?? I have no problem getting my transcripts from JIBC for the paramedic portion, but I don't really know where to turn if I were to start looking for the military portion. Can anyone offer any assistance or tell me who I might need to contact?? Thanks and cheersWFECEE

Write to the School with your past SN, dates attended, where you're applying and they should send the stuff there.  There will be some delay, just be aware.

MM

It would be silly not to expect a delay! Thank you greatly, I really didn't know if they would do this but happy to know they do! Definitely appreciated, cheers

Hey people, quick question. I'm nearing the end of my NCM-SEP PCP program and was wondering at what point would one earn the Health Services badge? Upon completing BMQ? Or upon completing BMQ, BMQ-L and the scope expansion course in Borden?

You will be awarded your Canadian Forces Medical Service cap badge at a ceremony, in front of the hundreds of names of our fallen, at the end of your QL3 Med Tech course.  I think you are calling this the "scope expansion course" but really it is mod I and III of the QL3 Med Tech course, as NCM SEP is PLAR'ed for Mod II (PCP).  Only then are you officially part of the family having completed your initial occupational qualification.

There is no Health Services badge as it is not a Branch or Service, but rather a Group where people in the Medical Service are employed. You are in (will be in) the Canadian Forces Medical Service.  You work for the the Canadian Forces Health Services Group. 

Good luck with the rest of your training.

MC

Thanks, MedCorps. Awesome answer. I've achieved all my Competencies and such as laid fourth by Medavie HealthEd. Graduation is 8 July, then hopefully a July BMQ otherwise it'll be PAT platoon for me. Back on track, I've a few classmates interested in applying as a Semi-Skilled (New Brunswick PCP). Will they learn any new skills/Med Admin as a QL3 Med Tech? If anyone can help it's greatly appreciated, Thanks everyone! -Badger

(Search Function is down for me? Has been down for the past 3-4 days. I'm thinking it may be server overload?)

The new scope of practice is approved for the QL3 Med Tech and posted on the DWAN it has all kinds of good things in it.  The new Med Tech Protocols and Procedures manual I am told is in process of being signed off and will be used by both QL3 and QL5 Med Techs, as opposed to just QL5 Med Techs like it was in the past. I hope that they have fixed some of the little problems with the last edition.

They / you will get some additional skills. It is a pretty impressive document and we are expecting our Med Techs to do more and more as we try and institutionalize some of the skills we acquired during the most recent conflict. This will also be reflected in the MCRP and Simulation Centre. The Training Plans at the CFHSTC are in the process of being updated (with qualification standards boards now done) and I suspect that in a year or so the full scope will be taught at the CFHSTC. 

If you have specific questions let me know and I will try and help you out / call someone who can. 

MC

Back