• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MLVW Replacment

My understanding is the Gov't tried to bypass the RFP rules a few yrs ago with a direct buy of S&S vehicles and was caught. It was a bad deal in the end, with no regional contracts and no long term support...just the truck itself. Civy companies involved are all well aware of the rules and existing contracts make no difference whatso ever, an RFP will come out, bids will be submitted and lowest bid will win...anyone want to hazard a guess when the first truck appears, I say no earlier than 2010. Of course if equipment is needed for op purposes, well thats a whole new chapter and different pot of monies...or so I understand..but you can't replace an entire truck fleet for op purposes

Michael Dorosh said:
BUT HOW GOOD IS THE HEATER IN THE CAB :rage:? :rage:

I think that any heater would be a better heater then what we have....lol

and i like the Oshkosh one better, it looks more like an army truck, i think it looks more intimidating then the other ones, but that's just my thoughts :salute:

Just an update on the Oshkosh MTVR.  The Oshkosh site now has information on the 9-tonne 6x6 Load Handling System and the 16.5-tonne 8x8 Load Handling System.  Again looks like a great replacement down the road for the HLVW in addition to the MLVW.

www.oshkoshtruck.com

Just an update on the MTVR.  The Oshkosh website now indicates that an 8x8 16.5-ton Load Handling System variant now exists in addition to the 6x6 9-ton Load Handling System.  Pictures of both are on the site.  As I questioned earlier, this could likely replace the HLVW when the time comes as well.

www.oshkoshtruck.com

IMHO Send one of each trucks to Petawawa and let us do a 2 week or one month trials on the trucks with all Units sending a few reps to get the feed back so it can best suite all trades. What the truckers might see are different from the Engineers, and arty and so on.

Chimo

FEEOP042 said:
IMHO Send one of each trucks to Petawawa and let us do a 2 week or one month trials on the trucks with all Units sending a few reps to get the feed back so it can best suite all trades. What the truckers might see are different from the Engineers, and arty and so on.

Chimo

So......you were in Pet for the Iltis Trials too?  Was it you who passed them?

No I was here when the HLVW was going thought RAND trials.

But I know what we need and i can make a difference with the vehs for the Engineers. I have lots of experience with are equipment and taught lots of HLVW and HESV crses.

Chimo

Been to Gagetown?

If a vehicle can handle Gagetown, Petawawa is nothing.

Perhaps that is why some of the trials done in Pet have passed vehicles that should have failed.  ;D

..as long as I have to pull over in -25C to change the fuel filters, I'll be happy... ;)

I just read in esprit de corps magazine that on Aug. 4th DND "quietly put out a tender for the acquisition of up to 150 new heavy, armoured transport trucks.  Many in the media mistakenly believed this project was part of the previously announced $1.2 billion medium truck project, but the official notice contained a specific disclaimer to the contrary.  It seems this new truck fleet will need to be able to haul a 16-ton payload and must have the capability of mounting an armoured cab.  The bids were to be tabled by Aug. 18th (just 14 days notice) and the supplier should be able to deliver the first 50 trucks within five months.  INdustry insiders quickly realized that the short notice and specific wording of the requirement heavily favoured one manufacturer in particular.  'They went through the Oshkosh catalogue, page by page,' said one jilted competitor.  The US truck manufacturer is represented in Canada by DEW Engineering."

This is the MTVR they are talking about here.  Why not combined this order for heavy trucks with the Oshkosh/DEW proposal for medium trucks and have one common fleet?

i read as well that we are supposed to be gettin new trucks but weather or not it will happen i dunno I'll just wait and see just like everything else they promise in the army don't believe it until it is in your hands,your inside of it,or your feet have touched down on the ground...........pro patria

harry8422 said:
i read as well that we are supposed to be gettin new trucks but weather or not it will happen i dunno I'll just wait and see just like everything else they promise in the army don't believe it until it is in your hands,your inside of it,or your feet have touched down on the ground...........pro patria

Weather is always a factor.  Our extreme climatic conditions will be an important factor in the purchase of any vehicle for the military. 

:rofl:

I had to re-read that to make sure on what I was understanding. I know what harry8422 meant. Good one anyways George.

Mountie said:
This is the MTVR they are talking about here.  Why not combined this order for heavy trucks with the Oshkosh/DEW proposal for medium trucks and have one common fleet?

Because the 150 trucks represents an Unforecasted Operational Requirement, and can be pushed through quickly.  Routine fleet replacements are not Unforecasted, and will follow the normal procurement cycle.

Hence the problem with all our recent acquisitions - no lifecycle support, no training fleets, and possibly no commonality when the existing fleets are replaced.  We're sinking millions of dollars into kit that may be scrapped when we leave theatre, or that will leave us with an unmanageable logistics tail to support into the future.

Agreed.  The Oshkosh MTVR is one of the three finalists in the MSVS Replacement Project though.  So if they could manage to choose it for the MSVS it would simplify things. 

And why is it that the CF needs new 16-ton armoured trucks?  I thought the HLVW PLS variant is capable of carrying 16-ton and has add-on armour on the cab in Afghanistan?  I also read on here about a year ago that most of the HLVW fleet was to be converted to the 16-ton PLS variant.  Was that true or just rumour someone printed as fact?

Must be rumour, you still need to carry stuff in a normal cargo space without a PLS.

I provided information regarding the advantages of the Oshkosh MTVR so to be fair here is some new information I found regarding the Stewart & Stevenson FMTV.

The FMTV, which DND has supposedly wanted from the begin, is a 2.5-tonne 4x4 and 5.0-tonne 6x6 truck.  I have been trying to follow the development of the FMTV on the company's website.  I now see that the 11-ton technology demonstrator and the 9-tonne Load Handling System are being produced, the dump truck variant is now available in 5, 7.5 & 10-tonne versions, and there is also a new 17-tonne 8x8 heavy variant.

So the FMTV is also a very good candidate to not only fulfill the MSVS Replacement Project but also replace the HLVW and VHLVW someday.  Even the 11-tonne and 17-tonne variants have 80% commonality.  There are 2.5-tonne cargo and van models; 5.0-tonne cargo (short or long bed, with or without material handling crane), 1,500-gallon water/fuel tanker, expandable van, wrecker (same axles as the 10-tonne dump & cargo variants)and tractor; 9-tonne Load Handling System variant; 10-tonne dump truck and 17-tonne cargo.  A tilt-bed version of the 5-tonne has also been developed to transport the M777 lightweight howitzer rather than towing it for improved mobility and the HIMARS launcher is also based on the FMTV chassis.

This range of vehicles would easily replace all the MLVW, HLVW and VHLVW.  I assume that variants of the new 11-tonne and 17-tonne versions will be developed in the near future such as tanker and load handling systems. 

I just read this past week that MAN has now entered the MSVS competition.  I was also reading up on the Armoured Heavy Support Vehicle System project (AHSVS) and MAN is also expected to enter this competition.  Once again there is an opportunity to have a common vehicle fleet of MSVS, HSVS and AHSVS with commonality among Allies.  Obviously the Germans use these vehicles but the British have also just ordered a fleet of 5,000 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 MAN trucks to replace their current vehicles.

www.militarytrucks.man-mn.com

Anyone know how hard it is to uparmour a cab-over design as opposed to a traditional design like the MTVR?

Matthew.  :salute:

Back