• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MMA Anyone?

I got a hold of Bobby Southworths fight against Vitor Belfort. Easy to predict who wins, but not so much the method. I never thought of Vitor as a grappler...

http://www.robclaw.com/southworth%20v.%20belfort.wmv

What the hell is Bobby doing fighting someone like Vitor?

Excellent question... :o

Vitor is an unbelievable striker, Southworth just doesnt match up to the calibre of Vitor Belfort. Have you seen the match between Vitor Belfort and Vanderlie Silva? Vitor KO'ed Silva in 44 seconds....

Id say he went easy on Bobby!  ::)

All time favorite match ever won by strikes has to be Pride 8 Igor vovchanchyn vs.  Francisco Bueno.

Pte. Gaisford said:
All time favorite match ever won by strikes has to be Pride 8 Igor vovchanchyn vs.  Francisco Bueno.

never seen, lookin around  for it now.

Anyone know of any MMA training centers/what not around British Columbia?

JasonH said:
Anyone know of any MMA training centers/what not around British Columbia?
UBC has some great programs...Not Mixed perse, but you can take Sombo, BJJ etc. there. In the interior, Pride Gym is a pretty good kickboxing outfit.

When you are looking for things www.google.com is usualy a good place to start.

And here is a highlite real of Igor Vovchachyn:
http://www.subfighter.com/vidz/highlights/fighter/Igor_Vovchanchyn_kain_Medium.wmv

Hmmm I like. Mostly because he pulls off the very technique I cling to (wait for a blow, then charge it). Heres a question, anyone know of any decent places in Toronto that host MMA fights (amateur of course)?

I'd love to not only watch, but step up. Everyone needs a good ass kicking every now and then I say.

Well last night I did kickboxing for the first time.  That was fun, didn't relize how much your calfs and shoulders are used but I certainly felt it this mornin lol.  I'll probably sign up doing that.  Year worth membership is 540$'s.

The place I was doen it at was "Fraser's Kickboxing", guy just so happens to be a substitute in highschool I've had a few times lol.  But aside from that there was a BJJ trainer there who was coaching people.  So I might take a look at that.  But like I was saying to the coach.  You start cross training and you become a Jack of All trades, master of none.  Just hope people remember that, but if you're gonna get into something specifically and go MMA.  Make sure you can wrestle and do some submissions!

Oh and on a side note, for those wanting to do this for self defence course.  Remember things like Kung-foo or anything won't help you much to save your life since most street fights (I've experianced anyways) end up on the ground.  So if you're gonna do self defence take part in some wrestling/strikeing class's.  If need be learn a few submissions to break the persons arm or knee cap at some point if you need to flee.  Thats my 2 cents.

JasonH said:
Remember things like Kung-foo or anything won't help you much to save your life since most street fights

I think practitioners of Chinese Gung-Fu would strongly dis-agree with you and for good reason.

JasonH said:
Oh and on a side note, for those wanting to do this for self defence course.   Remember things like Kung-foo or anything won't help you much to save your life since most street fights (I've experianced anyways) end up on the ground.   So if you're gonna do self defence take part in some wrestling/strikeing class's.   If need be learn a few submissions to break the persons arm or knee cap at some point if you need to flee.   Thats my 2 cents.

Funny, most of the fights I have seen or been involved in ended up on the ground only after somone was knocked off their feet. I agree, though it's good to be versetile.

Sport or Mixed Martial arts are not, however, the be all and end all of self defence.

Ever since that one cop on Cops said "9 out of 10 times it goes to the ground" now everyone seems to think they're some sort of fight expert and all regurgitate it.

The thing is, 9/10 times is wrong. My friend completed his Criminal Justice degree recently and him also being a martial artists (though in TKD..) shared some statistics with me.

In 2004, statistics for the USA showed that 56% of the time the fight would end up on the ground.

Now keep in mind that, statistically, most of these people were probably untrained fighters who just go by instinct and don't know anything else. Who knows how many other fights were due to drunkenness.

Point is, 90% of fights do NOT go to the ground and because one cop said it doesn't make it true. Statistics are more accurate than one cops opinion and if you got a good striking game and a good ground game you'll probably be able to stay on your feet.

Steve said:
I think practitioners of Chinese Gung-Fu would strongly dis-agree with you and for good reason.

Problem I have with things like Kungfu or Karate or Ninjutsu is the prevelance of McDojos. Not that you can't find a good Wingchun or Bujinkan school here and there, though.

Well yeah it's like that with north american TKD as well, but I'm talking about Gung-Fu taught in China by actual sensei's and not cash whores.

Funny, because every fight I've been in, i've tried to force it to the ground. Simply because, if you send it into a ground and pound you tend to take much less abuse from your opponent...

"FBI statistics confirm that over 80% of assault cases end up with both parties in a grappling scenario."

http://www.rebellionjj.com/aboutbjj.html

Thats really the only statistic  know of atm. Mind you, "grapple" is a pretty broad term and doesnt necessarily mean on the ground ie. Muay Thai Clinch could likely be considered a "grapple scenario'

Exactly, grappling isn't ground fighting. Two guys interlocked with underhooks is grappling but they can easily be standing or one against the wall.

If you were to extrapolate the amount of cases that actually were on the ground it would be alot less

Plus like I said before, a lot of these cases probably are between untrained people. It's instinct to try to take your opponent down (ie- headlocks).

I wish there were some way to tell these things apart .. how many "grappling" scenarios were as you say; muay thai grappling. How many were ground fighting? Were the persons involved regular Joe Schmoes or did they know a thing or two?

This is probably impossible to do but I'd like to see a study like that done, then we could get a true general statistic of how many times a fight will go here or do this, ya know?

I agree, for the most part the fights i've witnessed behind bars and in parking lots have really been 50/50. usually when it DOES go to the ground, it doesnt stay there as both fighters havent a clue what they're doing. its usually initiated by a trip or a simply hip throw, but 1 party almost always gets back to his feet and continues the flurry on the slower one.

The other would simply be the box out until someone goes down or simply cops out. These are funny, especially when both parties have no idea how to box and/or have never had any experience fighting before. The ol close your eyes, swing like mad and hope to connect tactic...
I've run into one of these, and believe me its no challenge if you ignore the constant hooks, go under and put him down. its pretty much clear sailing from there...

Im watching the TUF marathon right now, I wish they hadnt removed the booze factor (it made house life that much more interesting).  ;D Watching the Ludune and bobby fight annoys me, i loved Lodune  :D

Anyone catch the special on Spike TV last night? UFC Ultimate Knockouts 3 at 9pm ET last night, i made a note to come on here and let everyone know but low and behold forgot.

Back