• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Most common postings

Danno1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied for NES and NCI Regular, and am wondering where most postings are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_base

That page lists Halifax and Esquimalt under Navy bases, but in the recruitment video someone says they are posted in Montreal, and I've read about some postings in Ottawa too, though not for hard sea trades.

What are the more requested, and more common postings? I live in Toronto and would prefer a smaller town, even a middle-of-nowhere isolated community like Air Force bases. But I will of course go anywhere the Forces need me.

Danno1 said:
in Ottawa too, though not for hard sea trades.

I'm in Ottawa and have several NES OPs working for me so, guess again. We even have one or two NCI OP positions as well as NETs and NAVCOMs. That's just my unit.

If you don't know........

:-\ Im confused.

Are those Ottawa jobs land based, or posted to the narrow body of water in the North end?

This must sound like a dumb question, but what is the purpose of naval postings that aren't directly on an Ocean coast line?

So Halifax and Esquimalt take up the bulk of postings? Under what circumstances would someone be posted to Ottawa or elsewhere?

Thanks

Danno1 said:
Are those Ottawa jobs land based,

Land based.

This must sound like a dumb question, but what is the purpose of naval postings that aren't directly on an Ocean coast line?

Look up the Canadian Forces Electronic Warfare Centre (CFEWC) and the Naval Electronic Warfare Centre (NEWC).

Danno1 said:
So Halifax and Esquimalt take up the bulk of postings?

Yes.

Under what circumstances would someone be posted to Ottawa or elsewhere?

Normal circumstances. There is work to do in Ottawa that requires RCN personnel.

Great, thanks for the info Aviator, that's what I was looking for!

Danno1 said:
What are the more requested, and more common postings? I live in Toronto and would prefer a smaller town, even a middle-of-nowhere isolated community like Air Force bases. But I will of course go anywhere the Forces need me.

I snipped and bolded that so you can easily find it when you become the first NES/NCIOP to get posted to Cold Lake or Goose Bay  ;)

So I will ask the obvious question.....if you want to go be posted to an RCAF base why not take an Air Force trade?

Ex-Dragoon said:
So I will ask the obvious question.....if you want to go be posted to an RCAF base why not take an Air Force trade?

Fair question. I prefer Naval trades and a life at sea, but Air Force/Army type isolated bases for my family when I'm deployed. It would be easier for my wife to build community support and have a safe and close place to go in a dangerous situation, such as civil unrest. There are more ways to get in trouble in the big city than a small town without a Superman like me around.

I might be wrong here, but I would expect the PMQs to be more inaccessible to the public in a small community than a big city, and more closely situated to the base. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I know I know A S S -U-ME.

I've read through all of the available trades, and there isn't any AF/Army job that is as interesting to me as MARS, NCI and NES. I wanna be a semen! Er, sea-man!

Cold Lake or Goose Bay? Sure why not!  ;) 

Danno1 said:
I know I know A S S -U-ME.

Yet you just keep doing it.

sigh

Danno1 said:
I've read through all of the available trades, and there isn't any AF/Army job that is as interesting to me as MARS, NCI and NES.

Then you will be, primarily, in Halifax or Esquimalt, with Ottawa as a strong possibility later on. Time for you to learn to deal with that.

"Superman"  ::)

CDN Aviator said:
Yet you just keep doing it.

sigh

Then you will be, primarily, in Halifax or Esquimalt, with Ottawa as a strong possibility later on. Time for you to learn to deal with that.

"Superman"  ::)

I was being sarcastic, obviously, about Superman.

Halifax, Esquimalt and Ottawa would be excellent, I would be honoured to work there.

I don't want to seem like a lazy jackass, I've done extensive research into the Forces in general, the less relevant tidbits I figure to pick up along the way. Sometimes you read an off remark in a thread and run with it, I read that sea hard trades aren't usually posted in Ottawa, and had no reason to doubt it,so I ran with what seemed a logical, and largely unimportant, conclusion, figuring that someone more informed, like yourself, would eventually correct me.

It's not rational to dedicate yourself to endless details about something uncertain and distant; I haven't even written my CFAT yet.  I also dedicate many hours to researching where to live, buying a house, financial investment, current affairs, RCMP careeers, internal OPS careers, etc. I can't be expected to invest as much time at this stage as someone like yourself, or to research obscure details that may never be relevant and aren't easily searchable.

Anyway, thanks for your information, I do appreciate your help, as well as the help of everyone on this forum. 

Danno1 said:
I've read through all of the available trades, and there isn't any AF/Army job that is as interesting to me as MARS, NCI and NES.

Interesting, did you happen to read about AES Ops?  Pretty much covers all the naval combat trades all jammed into one.  Plus if you get selected for MH you will get to experience the "life at sea" you desire!

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Interesting, did you happen to read about AES Ops?  Pretty much covers all the naval combat trades all jammed into one.  Plus if you get selected for MH you will get to experience the "life at sea" you desire!

Hey thanks! I remember looking into that and disqualifying it for some reason, but on review it looks really good.

That reason was probably a little town called.....  Greenwood...

Dolphin_Hunter said:
That reason was probably a little town called.....  Greenwood...

But he wants an isolated RCAF base.  I think that just became the biggest selling point for the trade!    :facepalm:

Danno1 said:
I was being sarcastic, obviously, about Superman.

Halifax, Esquimalt and Ottawa would be excellent, I would be honoured to work there.

I don't want to seem like a lazy jackass, I've done extensive research into the Forces in general, the less relevant tidbits I figure to pick up along the way. Sometimes you read an off remark in a thread and run with it, I read that sea hard trades aren't usually posted in Ottawa, and had no reason to doubt it,so I ran with what seemed a logical, and largely unimportant, conclusion, figuring that someone more informed, like yourself, would eventually correct me.

It's not rational to dedicate yourself to endless details about something uncertain and distant; I haven't even written my CFAT yet.  I also dedicate many hours to researching where to live, buying a house, financial investment, current affairs, RCMP careeers, internal OPS careers, etc. I can't be expected to invest as much time at this stage as someone like yourself, or to research obscure details that may never be relevant and aren't easily searchable.

Anyway, thanks for your information, I do appreciate your help, as well as the help of everyone on this forum.

We do have personnel that do the long commute from the Valley to Halifax everyday. Thats always an option but sucks for gas and during storms.

Dimsum said:
But he wants an isolated RCAF base.  I think that just became the biggest selling point for the trade!    :facepalm:

I just googled Greenwood... 676 residents... That must be an adventure  :D

I got my first contact from the local RC about my files being transferred, and am going down this week to present documentation and get the ball rolling. Let's get this started! Thanks for the info guys, hopefully I'll be able to join your ranks soon enough.

Danno1 said:
I just googled Greenwood... 676 residents... That must be an adventure  :D

I got my first contact from the local RC about my files being transferred, and am going down this week to present documentation and get the ball rolling. Let's get this started! Thanks for the info guys, hopefully I'll be able to join your ranks soon enough.

Well there's also Kingston, Kentville, New Minas, etc.  At least 20K people there!

Depending on what trade you are you could also be posted to Saint Jean, Quebec City or one of the 24 reserve units. As well there are recruiting centers in most cities across Canada that you could do a stint in.

Chances are you wont leave one or the other coast (if you are a hard sea trade-except Steward) until atleast the MS rank (St Jean, QC, maybe Ottawa). The NRD posits open up as PO2/PO1 as well as Ottawa. After that you could (if willing to take a job out of trade and in the right place at the right time) end up anywhere.
I personally had 28 years in and except for a 4 month stint in Esquimalt early in my career, I stayed in Halifax (actually was 'posted' to Halifax) the whole time (21+ of those 28 years posted to an operational sea going unit). If you are going to stay in beyond 20 years in this day and age, you will have to do your 'penance' in Ottawa at some point.

Back