• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Motorcycle Insurance

Quag

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a SV650S.  I'm trying to find some cheap insurance.  What do the fellow riders on this forum reccommend?

~Quag

Hello,

I ride a '92 Kawasaki EX500, it's definitely a beater bike (but it runs like a top, I do lots of touring on it), its been a first bike to many and probably dropped by most, including me.  It's not worth much anyway so I just run the bare minimum in insurance, in BC its $200,000 liability.  This costs me about $300 from April to October.  If I'm in an accident and it's (cheaply) fixable I'll do it myself, and if it's not I'm not out all that much and the bike has already paid for itself in fuel savings over driving my truck in the summer.  My agent tells me that when you go adding collision and comprehensive is where motorcycle insuance gets expensive.  There is a company, I forget the name, it's either Beacon or Lighthouse or something like that they offer additional coverage for a significant savings over ICBC. 

Ride Safe

Planes

I know I might be digging it out of the grave but I think I can add some input for those looking at riding a bike on the roads. At least it's better than starting a new thread altogether.

Insurance is different province to province as the legislation changes. As such, I will be discussing my experience with insurance in the province of Ontario.

For the absolute cheapest insurance on ANY bike (they rate on CC's, not type) go to State Farm insurance. Often though you will have to take your car to them as well. However for both vehicles you will typically save. You must also have an immaculate driving

After them, Jevco. Jevco DOES rate Supersports into a high bracket, however ignores Supersports over (If my memory serves me correctly) 20 years old. So that vintage 110Hp GSXR 1100 will be cheaper than a current model GSXR 600. Go fig.

After that, CC's and Type DO play a roll. Supersports will always demand a higher premium. However, certain model's are exempt from this status. Worth the research, but the SV650/SV1000's are considered touring despite their ability to be very very quick bikes in the right hands.

There is always the: Track Vs. Street argument. For speed junkies who cannot afford $3000 liability only insurance, going to the track may be the only option. However if you are able to accept riding a different type of bike (dirtbike, Supermoto, cruiser, sport-touring) for a number of years until you get into the age group where insurance becomes cheaper, sometimes this is an option.

www.gtamotorcycle.com is a free message board which deals with many topics (and insurance in great detail) regarding motorcycles in Ontario.

Hope this helps some people get two wheels under them during leave :)

Nites

Back