• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moving from BC and looking for secret gems across Canada

LCIS227 said:
The Peace Gardens are on the Manitoba / North Dakota border near Boissevin.

Thanks for the correction.  What can I say, I was about 3 years old!  :p

I'll second (or third, or whatever) the plug for Thunder Bay, since I live here.  Following are the things to see in the Thunder Bay area:

-Kakabeka Falls (provincial park 30 km west of Thunder Bay; it's right on the Highway and you quite literally can't miss it)
-Fort William Historical Park (accurate rendition of this major 1815 fur trading centre, with period re-enactors and some period weaponry...but the focus is on the fur trade)
-Thunder Bay Military Museum (in the local armoury, at 317 Park Avenue, downtown north side;  it's a small museum, but quite good, and includes a large display of water colours and drawings done by a German PW held during WW2 in several camps on the north shore of Lake Superior)
-Marina Park and the Sleeping Giant (downtown north side; a photo op sort of thing)
-Ouimet Canyon (about 40 km east of Thunder Bay; a spectacular, deep gorge with good viewing; the bottom contains a unique eco-system, called an "arctic disjunct", because the plants down there are normally only found in the arctic.  However, low light levels year-round at the bottom make it a cold, dry, dark place)
-Eagle Canyon (very close to Ouimet; walk across a 600' long suspension bridge over a 150' deep canyon...this is Canada's longest foot suspension bridge, but this one, unlike the others above, will cost you some money)

I'd also recommend taking Highway 17 west of Thunder Bay, along the north shore of Lake Superior, if the weather is nice, and making your way to Sault Ste. Marie.  The views along the lake, especially at Rossport, Terrace Bay, Marathon and south of Wawa, in Lake Superior Provincial Park, are spectacular.  I particularly suggest a stop at Old Woman Bay, just south of Wawa.  There's a beach, if you don't mind swimming in Superior (the water rarely breaks 5 or 6 degrees C, even in the summer) and some amazing cliffs.  Also, Rossport is a true hidden gem; there's a bunch of little craft shops, a restaurant and some great scenery, just by leaving the highway for a half hour or so.

If you take Highway 11, it's faster to North Bay (where 17 and 11 cross again), but the scenery is much less interesting once you get away from Lake Nipigon, until you're back in the Temagami area--about 600 km worth of moose pasture and jackpine flats.

Here is my advice - save time and money and go directly to Quebec. Get settled in and then go to Newfoundland :)

There is no flat lands, no high buildings and no smog.

Just wonderful people who love a good time.

( I am not a member of Tourist Newfoundland or have family members who are members with Tourist Newfoundland ) ;D ;)

Crowsnest Pass via the CNP Highway: Gorgeous views and nice little towns where you can buy fruit etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowsnest_Pass_Highway
http://www.crowsnest-highway.ca/cgi-bin/citypage.pl?city=CROWSNEST_PASS&page=acc-camp

Make sure you stop in Coleman and camp at the Allison-Chinook campground, north off No.3 12 km w. from Coleman. It's signposted pretty well. (403) 562-3219, 563-5395. Bring your fly rod and fishing license. The local hiking from there is fantastic too, if you've got the time. Great views and easy access, easy for kids and parents carrying smaller fire team members in baby bergens.

Do not stop anywhere between CNP and Lethbridge - far too windy and miserable.

daftandbarmy said:
Do not stop anywhere between CNP and Lethbridge - far too windy and miserable.

I must protest.  Waterton is neither windy nor miserable.

A number of years ago I stayed at a Hampton Inn hotel in Texas. I was so impressed by this chain that I chose Hampton every chance I get.
Check out the link, perhaps there are some along your route.

http://hamptoninn1.hilton.com/en_US/hp/index.do

Enjoy!  :)

Awesome feedback everyone, keep it up.

We were thinking about going through Crowsnest, stopping in Fernie (after a bit of a wine stop in Osoyoos), but are trying to figure out what to do from there.  All very helpful input.

Kirkhill said:
I must protest.  Waterton is neither windy nor miserable.

OK, OK I agree it's one of the most beautiful mountain towns around (outside of South Park of course) but man, it can blow hard there. I hiked through there for a week a couple of years ago, and have been back winter and summer for shorter trips over the years, and I came away with a permanent list to starboard each time. Last year it was so windy in the townsite I couldn't even put the family tent up without risking its demise. The trees by the lake are a good indicator - they all lean so far over that they look like a tac nuc warhead just detonated next door. ;D

Regardless, camp sites are well serviced and there are some great places to stay, from the Prince of Wales on down.

Keep your sense of weather humour handy though!

they all lean so far over that they look like a tac nuc warhead just detonated next door.

About the same angle as the whinns at the Old Troon... Ayrshire is my reference point.  Anything less than a gale is a calm day.  ;D

Back