• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP use of force with regards to wildlife

Kilted

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what type of protocols do MP's normal have to follow before engaging an animal on base?

lol, sounds like a backstory to that question! Also curious myself, especially after seeing Gatineau police killing a cow with a 9mm a few years ago (worked as well as you would expect).

Just out of curiosity, what type of protocols do MP's normal have to follow before engaging an animal on base?

Sheep Silence GIF by STUDIOCANAL France

Depends on the circumstance. I‘ve seen MPs have to shoot a deer that had been hit by a vehicle. AFAIK, all they did after was fill out a use of force report. Did not strike me that anyone made a big deal about.

I can't speak to the MP's, but in the RCMP animals can be dispatched if they're wounded or present a threat to human life. Call the Conservation Officers to deal with the remains. No UoF paperwork required.

I’d call the local conservation/fish and wildlife officer for advice…

Just to confirm my understanding, MP endeavoured to murder-death-kill a raccoon with his nine, with what looks like maybe a barracks in the backdrop?

I'm guessing a suspected rabid raccoon, that presented a danger to the troops. I've seen lots of wildlife on lots of bases, and have never seen an MP shoot at any of it before.

Edit: Also, the commentary is a bit funny... I suspect the guys commenting wouldn't have done any better given the rounds MPs carry are likely not optimal for taking down game.

I'm guessing a suspected rabid raccoon, that presented a danger to the troops. I've seen lots of wildlife on lots of bases, and have never seen an MP shoot at any of it before.

Edit: Also, the commentary is a bit funny... I suspect the guys commenting wouldn't have done any better given the rounds MPs carry are likely not optimal for taking down game.
9mm JHP should do a raccoon if you can hit it.

Suspected rabid is fair. Not a good position to be in regardless, and I have to assume a cordon was in place around this.

9mm JHP should do a raccoon if you can hit it.

Suspected rabid is fair. Not a good position to be in regardless, and I have to assume a cordon was in place around this.
Is that what MPs carry?

I've had few interactions with MPs over 22+ years, and in none of those conversations did the topic of duty ammo come up.

Is that what MPs carry?

I've had few interactions with MPs over 22+ years, and in none of those conversations did the topic of duty ammo come up.
I believe so. I remember a 9mm range on workup training where we got some surplus MP ammo to shoot through the brownings, and it was noteworthy because it was 9mm hollow point. JHP is normal for police duty ammo.

Just to confirm my understanding, MP endeavoured to murder-death-kill a raccoon with his nine, with what looks like maybe a barracks in the backdrop?
For context, that is the parade square in Meaford.

IF you have the time and there is no danger live trapping an animal is an alternative. I have done that with squirrels since they ate the wiring on my red Ram.
Point to note: Squirrels do not make Navy SEALs - every one has failed the pool comp.
Summer Lol GIF

From around that neighbourhood.

Each spring local police services deal with a surge of calls from the public regarding what they believe are ‘rabid’ raccoons. These raccoons appear around residential properties during the daytime hours causing people concern. Police are wanting to educate residents that these raccoons are not necessarily rabid, but rather the animals may be experiencing a common condition called distemper.

Symptoms of distemper can be similar to that of rabies, however distemper is a neurological disease and can include behavior such as walking in circles, acting disoriented or the raccoon could have discharge coming from its eyes and mouth. There is no risk for humans to contract this disease from raccoons. . . .

That's not to say the MP wasn't justified in engaging 'Rocky', you never know the extent of the threat when he bursts in grinning a grin. If the MP's name isn't Daniel (wouldn't that be a hoot), it should be his nickname from now on.

The only time that I was aware of MPs (actually it was the RPs who did most of the shooting) using their sidearms to dispatch animals was on the camp at Ismailia (Egypt UNEF) back in the 1970s. There was a problem with feral animals (mostly cats but some wild dogs) roaming the camp so the RPs (who did the patrolling armed with SMGs) were authorized to kill them. After several . . . ahh . . . incidents, high powered pellet guns were acquired from Germany to be used for that purpose. They performed adequately - if used properly and the shooter wasn't too drunk - but that's another story.

How great is the rabies problem in that area? Would it be enough to justify rabies vaccination, if not for all members posted to Meaford, then perhaps to all MPs who, like the individual in this incident, could be required to confront a possibly infected animal and deal with it's fluids post-dispatch.

As for his shooting ability, from personal experience (in Rwanda) using a pistol to deal with wild dogs who blocked my path, at least he hit it; my couple of rounds only scared them off, though my intent was more deadly.

Back