• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MSVS Mil-COTS Gun Tractor (Split From: MLVW restrictions)

TSM A

Inactive
Reaction score
NFLD Sapper said:
It's because the gun tractor and sev's haven't been fielded yet........

30th Fd received their Gun Tractor end of Nov

TSM A said:

What do you think of the new ride?  (other than the standard "Holy  :eek: - It's huge!"

Looks like you're still stuck with your sprung shelter.  Any news yet on a move yet?

TSM A said:

TSM once you get the guns hooked up can you send me a pic of the set up assuming you still use the 105's....

Man it will be interesting to see if they can get those in the door at 15th FD in Vancouver.

Colin P said:
Man it will be interesting to see if they can get those in the door at 15th FD in Vancouver.

hey Colin. they won't fit. and with the 75 foot turning radius it'll be hard to get them into the compound.
Ian

NFLD Sapper said:
TSM once you get the guns hooked up can you send me a pic of the set up assuming you still use the 105's....

once we get them i'll take a pic. but considering i'm on the wet coast, on the wrong side of the mountains it may take a while.

Hope your Gunners learn how to back into position. The days of driving into position are done. Not unless you have a 250 foot turning radius. No longer will you swing the gun in by driving it in. Nor will you simply back it in on a short platform.

I'm all for creature comforts, but making a mobile home out of that truck is stupid in the extreme. I want to be handy and watching when they have to gallop into position and get their gun in action.

The size of that truck is beyond stupid for a combat support vehicle. Creature comforts have overtaken operational need.

It won't fit any hydraulic rack we have for maintenance. It won't fit any building we have for repair or maintenance.

And who decided a truck with half the capacity of the HLVW should be twice\ three times, the size of a HLVW?

NOTE: I was out of line\ lane when speaking about the procurment folks. Everyone has a job, and everyone works hard at them and I was unfair in my comments.

edited to remove unfair and uncalled for comments to the procurment folks ;)

Hey recceguy, have you seen the next gen recce vehicle?

2 roof hatches, ample space for pers and kit.

It even comes pre-rolled, so you don't have to worry about how to actually employ it. Coming to an armoury near you, fall 2011!

41570_360757667292_7439209_n.jpg

When DND went out to industry, there was only one company that offered to sell us trucks.

So the choices were (a) MSVS MilCOTS or (b) nothing.

dapaterson said:
When DND went out to industry, there was only one company that offered to sell us trucks.

So the choices were (a) MSVS MilCOTS or (b) nothing.

Be that as it may, that is an extremely poor excuse for accepting that truck.

So you'd prefer option (b):  nothing?  MLVW lifeextension wasn't going to happen, and something was needed.  And no other vendor was willing to sell.

I can just imagine the howls if we had retired the MLVW fleet and not provided any replacement...

(And note that there will eventually be an SMP MSVS as well, but there's been even more trouble defining the requirements in a way that there will be more than one bidder.  The MilCOTS MSVS is imperfect - but it's much better than nothing at all)

dapaterson said:
So you'd prefer option (b):  nothing?  MLVW lifeextension wasn't going to happen, and something was needed.  And no other vendor was willing to sell.

I can just imagine the howls if we had retired the MLVW fleet and not provided any replacement...

(And note that there will eventually be an SMP MSVS as well, but there's been even more trouble defining the requirements in a way that there will be more than one bidder.  The MilCOTS MSVS is imperfect - but it's much better than nothing at all)

Can't argue it.

Get us some SPF 10000 and a welding helmet.

The brilliance around here is astounding 8)

I doubt it was a case of only one vender be willing to sell. More likely only one qualified vender willing to sell on the terms of the bid.

We could have bought off the shelf several designs of tactical truck, they just wouldn't be made here.

Colin P said:
I doubt it was a case of only one vender be willing to sell. More likely only one qualified vender willing to sell on the terms of the bid.

We could have bought off the shelf several designs of tactical truck, they just wouldn't be made here.

Nope.  Only one response to the RFP.  And the trucks we got are made in the USA - manufacturer, in fact, announced a plant closing in Canada around the time the deal was announced.  They still have some presence in Canada, and are able to claim the necessary IRBs.

Spectrum said:
Hey recceguy, have you seen the next gen recce vehicle?

2 roof hatches, ample space for pers and kit.

It even comes pre-rolled, so you don't have to worry about how to actually employ it. Coming to an armoury near you, fall 2011!

41570_360757667292_7439209_n.jpg

Might as well. They don't seem to be in any great rush to upgrade the C&R GWagons and get the fleet off the grounded list ::)

dapaterson said:
Nope.  Only one response to the RFP.  And the trucks we got are made in the USA - manufacturer, in fact, announced a plant closing in Canada around the time the deal was announced.  They still have some presence in Canada, and are able to claim the necessary IRBs.

With everybody and his brother buying trucks (armoured and otherwise),  and production lines full so that the Yanks were buying case lots from any and all suppliers regardless of design and commonality, I wonder how many firms were motivated to source parts for IRBs?

Sounds to me like it would have been a major cost for the suppliers that wasn't required when selling to other customers.

The AHSVS went through fast.  Did we request IRBs on the UOR?  Or was that an acceptable ACAN?  Gawd, I luv acronyms.  ;D

Good Lord!
What the hell is that ...that... thing ??

I realize I've been out of the loop for quite a while but is that monstrosity supposed to be a improvement on a good old-fashioned deuce-and-a-half*... ?

*(like I said -it's been a while)  

Back