• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My dismay with the treadmill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

old man neri

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, my start date for IAP/BOTC was and still is quickly approaching. I had started running in an attempt to get into shape. Due to my civy job I found myself in hotels a lot (5 nights/week) in strange towns so I go accustomed to using the treadmill in the hotel. When I left that job, just recently, I continued to use a treadmill in my basement. I was starting to get really concerned with my times. According to the treadmill I couldn't run 2.4km in less than 15min. I was rather dismayed by this, I thought I was in much better shape, I remember passing the CF Express test back in the recruiting centre with out much difficulty. I could still do the sit ups, chin ups, and push ups with out difficulty but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't keep running with the pace my treadmill was set at to make the minimum time/distance, it was almost like sprinting. My concerns grew because I feared I would fail the CF Express during the second day of IAP, be sent to the 'warrior platoon', and be re-coursed. Although not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination but just added delays.

I took some advice from this forum and said screw it, I am just going to do run outside, until recently the sidewalks were covered in snow and ice and I had grown fond of running while watching the Simpsons :p. Anyways, I just got back from outside, with out much effort I broke the 12 min mark for the 2.4km. I think either there is something wrong with my treadmill (maybe I have it set to run 2.4mi in 12 min) or I run differently on the treadmill than on pavement. In any case, I am a happy camper now, I am no longer worried about failing the CF Express and you know what......the Christmas lights on people's houses are much more entertaining than the Simpsons while running.

Cheers!

Lesson: Run outside unless the weather/streets are really bad.

old man neri said:
Well, my start date for IAP/BOTC was and still is quickly approaching. I had started running in an attempt to get into shape. Due to my civy job I found myself in hotels a lot (5 nights/week) in strange towns so I go accustomed to using the treadmill in the hotel. When I left that job, just recently, I continued to use a treadmill in my basement. I was starting to get really concerned with my times. According to the treadmill I couldn't run 2.4km in less than 15min. I was rather dismayed by this, I thought I was in much better shape, I remember passing the CF Express test back in the recruiting centre with out much difficulty. I could still do the sit ups, chin ups, and push ups with out difficulty but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't keep running with the pace my treadmill was set at to make the minimum time/distance, it was almost like sprinting. My concerns grew because I feared I would fail the CF Express during the second day of IAP, be sent to the 'warrior platoon', and be re-coursed. Although not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination but just added delays.

I took some advice from this forum and said screw it, I am just going to do run outside, until recently the sidewalks were covered in snow and ice and I had grown fond of running while watching the Simpsons :p. Anyways, I just got back from outside, with out much effort I broke the 12 min mark for the 2.4km. I think either there is something wrong with my treadmill (maybe I have it set to run 2.4mi in 12 min) or I run differently on the treadmill than on pavement. In any case, I am a happy camper now, I am no longer worried about failing the CF Express and you know what......the Christmas lights on people's houses are much more entertaining than the Simpsons while running.

Cheers!

Lesson: Run outside unless the weather/streets are really bad.

I think it's actually easier to run outside partly because of the Fresh Cold Air of Fall/Winter than in the Warm recycled air of a house.  I was never a fan of treadmills....

Max

SupersonicMax said:
I think it's actually easier to run outside partly because of the Fresh Cold Air of Fall/Winter than in the Warm recycled air of a house.  I was never a fan of treadmills....

Max
I have yet to run outside, I quit smoking and joined a gym about 3 weeks ago, I'm down to running a mile under 10mins (9:59), I still cant seem to crack the 1 mile mark and I know that wont cut it at BMQ.
Any suggestions?

Run outside.  See a trainer if required on order to improve your running techniques (yes, there are running techniques!!).  Go progressively.  I would try to run for 30 minutes every day and every week, increase your distance.  Or you could do a fixed distance and decrease your time every week.  You will be surprise how fast you improve!  For the kind of training the military wants, I would do the later.  You will most likely not be asked to run for a very long time (1 hour max).  For me, I really don't see the point of running on a treadmill...  An inside track maybe but treadmill...

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Run outside.  See a trainer if required on order to improve your running techniques (yes, there are running techniques!!).  Go progressively.  I would try to run for 30 minutes every day and every week, increase your distance.   Or you could do a fixed distance and decrease your time every week.  You will be surprise how fast you improve!  For the kind of training the military wants, I would do the later.  You will most likely not be asked to run for a very long time (1 hour max).  For me, I really don't see the point of running on a treadmill...  An inside track maybe but treadmill...

Max
basically run longer then the 15mins I already do, and do it all outside
Thanks

Dinger_ca said:
basically run longer then the 15mins I already do, and do it all outside
Thanks

Go progressively.  20 minutes the first 3-4 days, then up to 25, 30..

Push yourself but not too much.  It won't be beneficial if you can't finish the run anyways...

Max

Dinger_ca said:
Any suggestions?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23364.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33109.0.html

Treadmill times are slower than actually running outside. I know it takes about 15 secs to get up
to the speed I start at. So dont be discouraged about the treadmill. Just do what you can normally
run/do at and just increase the speed.

paracowboy said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23364.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33109.0.html
Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back