• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Lai: Legacy of a massacre - BBC

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Forty years on, and "My Lai" is synonymous with "massacre".

The killing of Iraqi civilians at Haditha has often been referred to as a modern-day My Lai. The name is shorthand for slaughter of the defenceless,
the benchmark of American wartime atrocity.

The murders of 504 men, women, children and babies happened in a northerly province of South Vietnam on 16 March 1968. It proved to be a turning
point for public opinion about the Vietnam War. Yet, most of what we know about the event comes from a single, widely publicised court martial in 1970-71.

A young Lieutenant - William Calley - in Charlie Company was tried and convicted of murdering 22 "oriental human beings" in My Lai on that sunny morning in 1968.

Forgotten tapes

Media attention on Lt Calley's trial was extensive and the glare of publicity so bright it hid the wider, more awful truth. Before that trial got under way, the United States
army had, behind closed doors, completed an investigation of its own into the events at My Lai, and specifically into the possibility that those in authority had deliberately
covered up a massacre.

Convened on 1 December 1969 in the basement of the Pentagon, The Department of the Army Review of the Preliminary Investigations into The My Lai Incident, known
in abbreviated form as The Peers Inquiry, was chaired by Lt Gen William 'Ray' Peers. In just 14 weeks, the Peers Inquiry conducted a comprehensive and wide-ranging
investigation into the events of 16 March. More than 400 witnesses were interviewed, and their testimony was tape-recorded. When the inquiry concluded on 15 March
1970, those recordings were boxed-up, stored and forgotten.

In 1987, they were shipped to the US National Archives, as one small portion of a massive group of records of US Army activities in Vietnam. There they remained hidden,
never catalogued, never investigated, never uncovered - until last year.

I spent many months trying to track down the tapes. Again and again, I was told they did not exist, but after much persistence, 48 hours of recordings from the key
witnesses were declassified and made available to me. And on 15 March, on the eve of the 40th anniversary of the massacre, some of the most powerful testimony
will be broadcast for the first time, on the Archive Hour on BBC Radio 4.

Some of the interviewees' statements reveal the mentality of the soldiers involved in the massacre.

"I would say that most people in our company didn't consider the Vietnamese human... A guy would just grab one of the girls there and in one or two incidents
they shot the girls when they got done," said Dennis Bunning. "That day it was just a massacre. Just plain right out, wiping out people," said Leonard Gonzales.

"Kill everything"

The wider, more awful truth that Gen Peers uncovered, was that this was an illegal operation, planned and co-ordinated at Task Force level by Lt Col Frank Barker.
It wiped out not one but three villages: My Lai, Binh Tay and My Khe. And not one, but two companies were involved: Bravo and Charlie. Both of these companies
were given the same briefing by their respective commanding officers, permitting them "to kill everything and anything."

"It's not just the people of Task Force Barker that are on trial... It's the Army, it's you and it's me... and it includes our country and our people in the eyes of the world,"
said Gen Peers, during his investigation. He concluded that 30 senior officers had been negligent in their duty. After the inquiry, 14 officers were charged with crimes.

But the only participant convicted of anything at My Lai was Lt William Calley. Gen Peers also proposed new methods of training soldiers, guidelines for the treatment
of civilians in wartime and new army leadership criteria. His recommendations still influence today's army training manuals.

"The My Lai Tapes" are a record not only of atrocity writ large but also of heroism. They are a record of how war can bring out not only the worst but also the best
in people. Above all they are a record of lessons learned 40 years ago, in My Lai, Binh Tay and My Khe - lessons that should not be forgotten.

Celina Dunlop is picture editor of the Economist. The Archive Hour: The My Lai Tapes will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 2000 GMT on Saturday, 15 March, 2008. You can also listen online for seven days after that at Radio 4's  Listen again page.

Article link

Add :

My Lai massacre hero dies at 62

Hugh Thompson Jnr, a former US military helicopter pilot who helped stop one of the most infamous massacres of the Vietnam War has died, aged 62.

Mr Thompson and his crew came upon US troops killing civilians at the village of My Lai on 16 March 1968. He put his helicopter down between the soldiers and villagers,
ordering his men to shoot their fellow Americans if they attacked the civilians. "There was no way I could turn my back on them," he later said of the victims.

Mr Thompson, a warrant officer at the time, called in support from other US helicopters, and together they airlifted at least nine Vietnamese civilians - including a
wounded boy - to safety. He returned to headquarters, angrily telling his commanders what he had seen. They ordered soldiers in the area to stop shooting.

But Mr Thompson was shunned for years by fellow soldiers, received death threats, and was once told by a congressman that he was the only American who should
be punished over My Lai. A platoon commander, Lt William Calley, was later court-martialed and sentenced to life in prison for his role in the killings.

President Richard Nixon commuted his sentence to three years' house arrest.

Lobbying

Although the My Lai massacre became one of the best-known atrocities of the war - with journalist Seymour Hersh winning a Pulitzer Prize for reporting on it - little was
known about Mr Thompson's actions for decades. In the 1980s, Clemson University Professor David Egan saw him interviewed in a documentary and began to campaign
on his behalf. He persuaded people including Vietnam-era Secretary of State Dean Rusk to lobby the government to honour the helicopter crew.

Mr Thompson and his colleagues Lawrence Colburn and Glenn Andreotta were finally awarded the Soldier's Medal, the highest US miltiary award for bravery when not
confronting an enemy. Mr Thompson was close to tears as he accepted the award in 1998 "for all the men who served their country with honour on the battlefields of
South-East Asia".

Mr Andreotta's award was posthumous. He was killed in Vietnam less than a month after My Lai. Mr Colburn was at Mr Thompson's bedside when he died, the Associated
Press reported. Mr Thompson died of cancer. He had been ill for some time and was removed from life support earlier in the week.

Article link

While I have read and looked into My Lai 4 for years (IIRC I read my first book on it in 1978 - yeah I was 8, maybe thats what stunted my intellectual growth)

I am still not sure Haditha is anything to talk about -- and it definitely does not deserve to be mentioned along with My lai

Infidel-6 said:
I am still not sure Haditha is anything to talk about -- and it definitely does not deserve to be mentioned along with My lai

You could always try to email her.
Celina Dunlop is picture editor of the Economist.
Celina Dunlop, photo editor for the prestigious London-based newsweekly The Economis
must have a email somewhere on the net...

http://www.zoominfo.com/search/PersonDetail.aspx?PersonID=431146629

Survivors Reflect 40 Years After My Lai

MY LAI, Vietnam (AP) — Forty years after rampaging American soldiers slaughtered her family, Do Thi Tuyet returned to the place where her childhood
was shattered. "Everyone in my family was killed in the My Lai massacre — my mother, my father, my brother and three sisters," said Tuyet, who was 8 years
old at the time. "They threw me into a ditch full of dead bodies. I was covered with blood and brains."

More than a thousand people turned out Sunday to remember the victims of one of the most notorious chapters of the Vietnam War. On March 16, 1968, members
of Charlie Company killed as many as 504 villagers, nearly all of them unarmed children, women and elderly. When the unprovoked attack was uncovered, it horrified
Americans, prompted military investigations and badly undermined support for the war.

Sunday's memorial drew the families of the victims, returning U.S. war veterans, peace activists and a delegation of atomic bombing survivors from Hiroshima and
Nagasaki. "We are not harboring hatred," said Nguyen Hoang Son, vice governor of Quang Ngai, the central Vietnamese province where the incident occurred. "We
are calling for solidarity to defend peace, to defend life and to remind the world that it must never forget the massacre at My Lai."

Although the occasion was somber, many visitors said they drew hope from it. "So much positive energy has come from such a negative event," said Richard Chamberlin,
63, a returning veteran from Madison, Wisconsin. "The people here have amazing resilience. I'm grateful that they've treated us as friends, not enemies."

Chamberlin was part of a delegation called the Madison Quakers, a Wisconsin group that has built a peace park and three schools in My Lai, including a new one that
was dedicated Sunday. The group's leader, war veteran Mike Boehm, honored the dead by playing a mournful fiddle tune. Boehm also arranged for a group of atomic
bombing survivors from Japan to join his delegation.

Rest of article on link

The My Lai Massacre

On March 16, 1968 the angry and frustrated men of Charlie Company, 11th Brigade, Americal Division entered the Vietnamese village of My Lai.
"This is what you've been waiting for -- search and destroy -- and you've got it," said their superior officers. A short time later the killing began. When news
of the atrocities surfaced, it sent shockwaves through the U.S. political establishment, the military's chain of command, and an already divided American public.

Poised for Conflict
My Lai lay in the South Vietnamese district of Son My, a heavily mined area where the Vietcong were deeply entrenched. Numerous members of Charlie Company
had been maimed or killed in the area during the preceding weeks. The agitated troops, under the command of Lt. William Calley, entered the village poised for
engagement with their elusive enemy.

Massacre
As the "search and destroy" mission unfolded, it soon degenerated into the massacre of over 300 apparently unarmed civilians including women, children, and
the elderly. Calley ordered his men to enter the village firing, though there had been no report of opposing fire. According to eyewitness reports offered after
the event, several old men were bayoneted, praying women and children were shot in the back of the head, and at least one girl was raped and then killed.
For his part, Calley was said to have rounded up a group of the villagers, ordered them into a ditch, and mowed them down in a fury of machine gun fire.

Call for Investigation
William Calley Word of the atrocities did not reach the American public until November 1969, when journalist Seymour Hersh published a story detailing his
conversations with a Vietnam veteran, Ron Ridenhour. Ridenhour learned of the events at My Lai from members of Charlie Company who had been there. Before
speaking with Hersh, he had appealed to Congress, the White House, and the Pentagon to investigate the matter. The military investigation resulted in Calley's
being charged with murder in September 1969 -- a full two months before the Hersh story hit the streets.

Questions About Soldiers' Conduct
As the gruesome details of My Lai reached the American public, serious questions arose concerning the conduct of American soldiers in Vietnam. A military
commission investigating the massacre found widespread failures of leadership, discipline, and morale among the Army's fighting units. As the war progressed,
many "career" soldiers had either been rotated out or retired. Many more had died. In their place were scores of draftees whose fitness for leadership in the field
of battle was questionable at best. Military officials blamed inequities in the draft policy for the often slim talent pool from which they were forced to choose leaders.
Many maintained that if the educated middle class ("the Harvards," as they were called) had joined in the fight, a man of Lt. William Calley's emotional and
intellectual stature would never have been issuing orders.

Orders from Above?
Calley, an unemployed college dropout, had managed to graduate from Officer's Candidate School at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1967. At his trial, Calley testified
that he was ordered by Captain Ernest Medina to kill everyone in the village of My Lai. Still, there was only enough photographic and recorded evidence to convict
Calley, alone, of murder. He was sentenced to life in prison, but was released in 1974, following many appeals. After being issued a dishonorable discharge,
Calley entered the insurance business.

Article on link

Will the political attendees of the memorial be holding a similar event in Hue during Tet?  The inclusion of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki survivors tells me that there is more afoot here than simply remembering the terrible events at My Lai.

WTF?

Things just took a turn to the weird what the hell do survivors of Atomic Bomb attacks on H&N have anything to do with My lai?

A tempest in a teapot...My Lai wasn't the worst thing to happen in Vietnam, on either side. Just the most reported by the anti-war leftist media of the day.

Infidel-6 said:
WTF?

Things just took a turn to the weird what the hell do survivors of Atomic Bomb attacks on H&N have anything to do with My lai?

The inclusion of the atomic bomb survivors by the visiting Quaker group is what drew my attention (see the articles).  Perhaps they will bring survivors of the Rape of Nanking to Hue.

p.s. Editted for spelling.

Back