• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My trip to Vienna, or how my liver got pickled

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
My trip to Vienna rated PG 12 (just for Lexi)

Started by my leaving at midnight on a bus to go to Zagreb Train station followed by a 7 hour ride to South Banhoff Strasse in downtown Vienna. The ride there was simply amazing. The views, as soon as we got out of Croatia, were spellbinding. Bloody Train cops were acting like Gestapoe in Croatia. â Å“PASSPORTS!â ? was there way of being friendly.... Into Austria mountains covered in snow. Huge caverns and gorges spotted with small towns and Chalets, just like you see in post cards. My mouth dropped at the absolute beauty of the towns, nestled in snow, with rivers running though them. Breathtaking.

In Vienna, also called Wein in Deutch, we arrived somewhat tired but excited. Got into a cab, a Mercedes, and off we went to the Ibis Hotel on Maria-Grubtel Strasse in downtown Vienna. Checked in and got a quick shower...then headed out the door for some serious fun.

Walked for about 3 hours checking out the local shops, looking for anything weird...you know. Anything that isn't North American...you know the drill. Came back empty handed, but a full belly of Vienna's finest McDs and a few beers. Found a great restaurant just a block from the hotel.

For those who don't know, Gasthaus's are usually family run affairs with good homecooking with fresh ingredients. Gary and Inge Francechi were the best. The food was outstanding, but if your looking for Spatzle, your out of luck. It's a German thing only, Austrians don't do it too often. Look them up, 1060 Wein, Aegidigasse 15.

The next day began at 0730. We planed to go to the center of the old city, to a place called Stephanstrasse. We got on the subway and took off. Going up the escalator we were greeted by sky and a few modern buildings, and I comented that I didn't think I was going to be impressed when I heard this enourouse â Å“BONGâ ?. I turned around to see the biggest, oldest church I'd ever seen. At least 30 stories tall and just as long. My mouth hit the ground and stayed there for the rest of the day. We went and saw the entire old section of the city. The Keiser's apartments, the Parliament buildings, the Keiser's palace, the Art museum, the Stadpark where Strauss is buried, the original Crystal Palace...the list goes on. Sufficed to say my feet and that of Mike's were killing us, to the point that the top of both big toes were bleeding. We walked about 45km that day alone...and I got some terrific footage on the camcorder. Sorry folks, I only used 35mm film so no digital shots.

That night we went back to Gary&Inge's for our meals. Had one beer...tasted like another. Meet up with a couple who we made friends in quick time. Gina and Marcus were a great couple to meet, and had us in stitches. I did my rendidtion of Arnold Shwatrzennegger to everyone's laughter. We stopped drinking at about 3 O'clock, then staggered home looking like a poor rendition of the Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks.

0900 next morning we were off again. This time to the Armouries Museum. This is the Austrian War Museum. Looked at such artifacts as Archduke Ferdinand's car that he was shot in and also his blood soaked uniform that he died in, quite sobering. The fact that we were looking at the actual trigger that started the Great War was a bit unsettling...and the room was dead quiet. This museum is an absolute must see for any history buff. We came out of it very depressed. The feeling of the exhibits are quite melancholy, a huge difference from our own war museums, which are normally â Å“we kicked butt!â ?.

We then went on to the Keiser's Palace or Schonbrunn. Absolutely gorgeous! This is where Mari Anttonette was raised and where Keiser Willhelm died. We also toured the grounds, HUGE. So big that we had to call it quits after 2 hours of walking. Oh well...back to the hotel to get changed and showered.

Of course we went back to see Gary and Inge for supper. They had pork chops waiting for us, and it was the best tasting food I'd ever eaten. Again into the beers...BIBLICAL PORPORTIONS! Met up with some fellow Canukians named Steve and Mike. They were bumming around Europe and just happened to come in. We saw the Canadian flags, called them over to our table. After a few questions about where they were from,(you never know...they could've been Yanks ;) ) we invited them to sit and have a few with us. Now by that time we'd been drinking for about 3 hours, mostly Schnapps and beer with the odd Slievovich shooter and were kicking into high gear. We told them to keep up and the drinks were on us unless they fell back then the tab was on them. At midnight they begged for the tab, to our delight.

The next morning we slept in...past our train timing. We were supposed to be on the train leaving at 0600...and I had just woken up then! Needless to say we made another train and no one, save you out there, know about it. Again going through mountain passes, snow covered villages, seeing the splendor of the edge of the Alps. Skiers going down fresh powder.....Wunderbar!

Regards

BTW...I think that if Gina and Marcus are reading this I'm now the Schmedbruder !

Sounds like a true Canadian adventure, beer & culture!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself, never did make to Vienna, but I also missed my train from Bern to Lahar, got to the base 20 minutes before parade and I was the NCO in charge!

You realize that your body is now going to go through good beer withdrawal! Cheers

Franko,
Welcome back. That restaurant by the ibis your talking about, was it out the front door and to the right? Sounds a lot like the restaurant my buddies and I hit up.

I loved austria when i was there. I had the opportunity of a life time to go whitewater rafting throught the Tyrol between the mountains it was absolutley beautiful.

About 4 days later I got even luckier when i was invited to do some rock climbing the alps, just outside of lecern switzerland. If you ever get a chance to do this trust me do it! The most beautiful thing i have ever seen. In a heart beat i would go back to see it all again

Originally posted by gate_guard:
[qb] Franko,
Welcome back. That restaurant by the ibis your talking about, was it out the front door and to the right? Sounds a lot like the restaurant my buddies and I hit up. [/qb]
Nope. Out the back door, straight down the street in front of you, hang a left.

Thanks for the suggestions for the next time I‘m on tour troops.

No response from Lexi...must be past her bedtime. :D

Regards

Infact, I was asleep when you posted that..
Well sounds like you had a **** of a time out there! Glad you enjoyed yourself lol.
And thanks for the rating... If I weren‘t in such a happy TGIF mood I‘d be angry.. :D
Oh well, good to know someone thinks about me. Lol.
Next time you go on a trip, you‘re going to Kiev in UKRAINE. And you‘re going to meet some nice old Baba on the street who‘s going to invite you to her house and feed you perogies.
Is that understood? :p

:( "mmm...perogies..." times that by two and then add another 5, and another,....thats right add another. I havent had perogies in three years ( most not be to popular here in hawaii ).

Today i had a japanese version of perogies (same idea as regular perogies, but with asian spices, ect.) it was pretty good, unfortunitly i forgot the name, but that gust brings me back to the mmm...perogie thing again.
;)

Perogies are only good when served with fried onions and butter.
And the cabbage ones suck. You need the potatoe and cheese, or the ones with fruit in them.

If you get frozen ones you have to boil them in water. (This is just to clear up any confusion about how they‘re cooked.) You know when they‘re done because they‘ll start to float...

Next on Lexi‘s Ukrainian Cooking posts, how to make Borsch.

Originally posted by Cpl Thompson:
[qb] mmmmm. Perogies... [/qb]
If you live in Hamilton you can go down to Barton street and go to the Polski Delicatessen or whatever.. it‘s close to Holy Spirit School, (my school,) and you can buy the best perogies ever. Sometimes they have the perogies in like bags of 150. :p

GETTING OFF TOPIC! ><
So anyway, It‘s a shame we can‘t see any of the movies you made, Franko. That would‘ve been cool..

I recorded it on Digital 8 Camcorder...

Just don‘t know how to down load it properly....

Besides, cameras scare me...they steal souls ;)

Regards

Originally posted by Lexi:
[qb] ......
Infact, I was asleep when you posted that..
Well sounds like you had a **** of a time out there! Glad you enjoyed yourself lol.
And thanks for the rating... If I weren‘t in such a happy TGIF mood I‘d be angry.. :D
Oh well, good to know someone thinks about me. Lol.
Next time you go on a trip, you‘re going to Kiev in UKRAINE. And you‘re going to meet some nice old Baba on the street who‘s going to invite you to her house and feed you perogies.
Is that understood? :p [/qb]
Lexi you don‘t have to go so far.
Just next door in N.Alberta there‘s still lot‘s of Baba‘s and home made perogies! :blotto:

The best!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol,
I don‘t have to go to Alberta to find Baba‘s and perogies. They‘re right here in Hamilton. Hamilton‘s like.. Ukrainian central in Ontario.

All I have to do is talk to some Baba standing outside my school fence and she‘ll dissapear for 5 minutes, then come back and throw a tray of perogies, home made, over the 5 ft fence! :D

Hmmmmm....Ontario‘s school system at work :D

Regards

My school‘s like a flippen jail. There‘s a fence all the way around the perimeter of the yard, and the 3 fences are locked during the school day. All the windows have small pieces of wire criss-crossing through them and the windows on the doors are all boarded up. :rolleyes:

I like my school though, it‘s cool. Our science lab/history room is the library, and our science/history teacher is the librarian. :p

And they‘d BETTER keep that fence there, otherwise the kids might escape!

Or worse, through the windows...(especially the second-floor windows)...man, is school that boring that kids would become so desperate to escape they would jump out of second-floor windows... :D

My elementary school was the same. We had windows that would only open about 6 inches, for ‘safety reasons.‘ :rolleyes:

Man, this thread‘s gone from Vienna drinking stories to pierogies to school security...

Hey Lexi, do you remember your old Librarian Mrs. Ellison?

For cripes sake...drop the school stories and lets get back to the real discussion here...

FOREIGN CITY DRINKING/TOURING STORIES! ;blotto:

Regards

Originally posted by L/MCpl_Argyll_ Kurrgan:
[qb] Hey Lexi, do you remember your old Librarian Mrs. Ellison? [/qb]
Yep, I was in Kindergarten, I think, when she left. I can hardly even remember her face..
So how do you know about my old Librarian?

Lol, Franko.
I haven‘t really gone anywhere foreign.. but when I was at the cottage I had a few drinks with my older cousins. Let‘s just say that I didn‘t mean to stumble off the dock into the lake in my pyjama‘s on purpose. :p

Back