• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name and Acceptance

M.Hamada

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if you've come across this question in the past, it seems simple and I hope not to cause any aggravation. I was wondering if a persons name had any influence on whether or not they get accepted in the forces, I try not to generalize and this would seem insulting to me if I were a part of the forces, knowing how appreciative Canada is for its diversity. However its been on my mind and I was hoping for some info, even if it were as short of an answer as yes or no.

Many names in Canada such as my own, are identical to a certain few terrorists around the world, in my case Afghanistan. The idea that this would influence any part of my life bothers me, and I wanted a straight forward answer from the people who've been in the system and know all there is to know. I apologize again if this post seems judgmental or full of acquisition, its bothering me and I hope to get an answer without causing any anger to the more knowledgeable folks.

Thank you.

While there are, undoubtedly, a few bigots in the CF, in general we tend not to care much about where people are born, the religion that they practise (or do not practise), their colour, gender, or any of that stuff, including name. We care about how they act - competency, motivation, dedication, teamwork etcetera.

For those with "exotic" backgrounds, interesting stories and sharing of cultural foods may well score bonus points. They certainly do with me, at least.

Haha! Great, I've lived alone since I was 17 and so I know how to cook lots of different types of food, get me accepted and I'll make you dinner every day for the rest of your life! (I know you can't I'm just joking)  :p

The Forces welcome Canadians of all backgrounds to apply. Your name has no bearing on the decision to hire you or not; that would be discrimination.

As Loachman mentioned, Forces members work together as a team. The Forces have a zero tolerance policy against discrimination of any kind. This applies to members as well as applicants. Life in the Forces.

Back