• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name that badge

PiperDown

Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the badge in the attached photo is ?
I don't recall ever seeing it before, and a search through the dress regs doesn't identify it.

It appears to be a gold maple leaf with a sword, worn above the nametag.

( I have blacked out the nametag before posting )

That is the Infantry School badge, it is worn by all members of the Infantry School.

Just to add here it is in the Dress manual: Chapter 3 Section 5 Para 10:

b. Combat Training Centre (CTC) School
Badges. The following CTC school badges
are authorized for wear on the right breast
of army service dress as detailed in
Annex E:

(1) Armour School. All army personnel
on the establishment of the Armour
School shall wear a single Armour
Branch metal collar badge.

(2) Infantry School. All army personnel
on instructional staff of the Infantry
School shall wear the Infantry
Instructor Badge.

Thanks dangerboy for the ID, and the reference.

I looked throught the dress regs, but without knowing what it was called, could only look for a matching picture.

I recall going on my 6A way back when. I showed up at CTC with my coat of many colours and sporting a brand new badge, the Warrior Badge. Many conniption fits took place because it was in the same place as a staff badge and it just wouldn't do, having a candidate 'masquerading' as some sort of CTC Staff.

I happily took it off and promptly 'lost' it because I also thought that it was the biggest farce going as a uniform accoutrement, .............................at least, until the 1812 pin came along. ;D

Ah yes the Warrior bade.  The idea that came from then Comd LFCA MGen Vernon.  He recognized that personal readiness standards in LFCA were lacking so he started this.  A great concept except I hated that bloody Warrior badge.  In PETAWAWA they ended up having two standards one for the CAR and the others ...  I think that I still have my badges around somewhere.

Happy Guy said:
Ah yes the Warrior bade.  The idea that came from then Comd LFCA MGen Vernon.  He recognized that personal readiness standards in LFCA were lacking so he started this.  A great concept except I hated that bloody Warrior badge.  In PETAWAWA they ended up having two standards one for the CAR and the others ...  I think that I still have my badges around somewhere.

Please don't get into rehashing the Warrior Badge, nor how the standards had to be lowered so that a certain person could achieve Gold. 

I'm surprised that the other CTC schools including the RCEMES have not adopted a similar "collar dog as a badge" policy...

Old EO Tech said:
I'm surprised that the other CTC schools including the RCEMES have not adopted a similar "collar dog as a badge" policy...
There are only three Schools at CTC..... :nod:

George Wallace said:
There are only three Schools at CTC..... :nod:

???

There are five schools in Gagetown alone that are part of CTC, (Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Engineers, Tactics) plus there are also the outstations under command of CTC (Signals, EME, Advanced Warfare).

Ostrozac said:
???

There are five schools in Gagetown alone that are part of CTC, (Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Engineers, Tactics) ...

Opps!  You are correct.  Engineers totally slipped my mind and Tactics was incorporated in/intertwined with the other Schools in the past.

The reason I think as to why CFSME and the EME school don't have specific badges is because we only have one cap badge and are a Corps/Branch while the Infantry and Armoured have multiple cap badges...

NFLD Sapper said:
The reason I think as to why CFSME and the EME school don't have specific badges is because we only have one cap badge and are a Corps/Branch while the Infantry and Armoured have multiple cap badges...

Although true; the badge in the original question is actually only a Corps collar dog.  EME could easily do the same with the Branch collar dog.  Engineers may not, or perhaps they may as well.... :dunno:.

George Wallace said:
Although true; the badge in the original question is actually only a Corps collar dog.  EME could easily do the same with the Branch collar dog.  Engineers may not, or perhaps they may as well.... :dunno:.

Yeah :dunno:

Not the modern day ones, but the WW II ones are similar...

collrce.jpg

WW II version

So your choice is to be confused for Artillery or the Van Doos.  >:D

Note that the RCE collar dogs worn pre-unification had two extra flames coming out of the bursting bomb.

Back