• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

wrong on both, and I'd still be looking for its designation even had you described it.  I'll give another clue now

Heavy Mine Breaching Vehicle (HMBV), Patria, Finland ?

HMBV is based on a surplus German Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Leopard 2A4 MBT chassis.  For its new role the turret has been removed and replaced by a new superstructure of welded armoured steel.  Vehicle commander and engineer are seated in this well-protected superstructure with each provided with day periscopes for all round observation and a single-piece hatch cover.  To carry out its mine breaching role the HMBV is fitted with a complete suite of mine clearing equipment supplied by Pearson Engineering of the UK.  This consists of a Full Width Mine Plough or a Surface Mine Plough that is installed at the front of the vehicle and operated by the driver.  To enable it to carry out some combat engineer roles, a Pearson Engineering Combat Dozer Blade can also be installed at the front of the chassis.  This can be used to clear battlefield obstacles, prepare firing positions or prepare sites for bridging operations.  The mine breaching and dozer blade can be rapidly installed on the front of the chassis using an interface system developed by Patria Weapon Systems and Pearson Engineering.  This interface system includes an electro-hydraulic power pack installed inside of the crew compartment, external high lift adapter and a hydraulic emergency jettison system.  Mounted either side of the hull rear is a Pearson Engineering Clear Lane Marking System which vertically deploys pennants into the ground as the HMBV moves forwards.  HMBV is operated by a crew of three consisting of the commander, engineer and driver with space being provided for an additional crew member.

There are occasional references to this veh as a Leopard 2R, but I don't believe it is official nomenclature.

Blackadder1916 said:
Heavy Mine Breaching Vehicle (HMBV), Patria, Finland ?
You are correct.

It might be an option for us to look at if there is no success getting implements on the Leopard 2 MBT.

MCG said:
It might be an option for us to look at if there is no success getting implements on the Leopard 2 MBT.

Possibly.  The Finns are accepting delivery of 6 vehicles this year, but Patria is supposedly making it available for export.  There is potential for Patria (and Pearson) to develop a market for this type of vehicle (as also seen in the USMC ABV) and there are Leopards being made surplus. 

From Recce by death - have been told we have managed to attach the implements we've used on the Leo C2s all these years. 

Robotic Systems EOD Robot tEODor

http://www.4engr.com/product/catalog/13231/index.html

The floor's open

Larry Strong said:
Yes.  Telerob, out of Germany, makes the telerob Explosive Ordnance Disposal and observation robot (tEODor) and you will find a version of it in Canadian service under the nomenclature Large Remote Operated Vehicle (LROV).  Unlike the one in the picture, ours are fully covered in an olive CARC paint.

Horrifying and fascinating six-legged insectoid Finnish logging machine with the power to stop a thousand Loraxes without straining its thoraxes. Don't miss the videos.

The walking machine adapts automatically to the forest floor. Moving on six articulated legs, the harvester advances forward and backward, sideways and diagonally. It can also turn in place and step over obstacles. Depending on the irregularity of the terrain, the operator can adjust both the ground clearance of the machine and the height of each step.
The machine's nerve center is an intelligent computer system that controls all walking functions - including the direction of movement, the travelling speed, the step height and gait, and the ground clearance. The harvester head is controlled by the Timberjack measuring and control system. To further optimize machine operation, Timberjack's Total Machine Control system (TMC) regulates the functions of the machine's loader and engine. All control systems are designed for ease of use. The operator-friendly controls are incorporated in a single joystick.

You've got it.  As an aside, one might have noted from the colour that Timberjack is a John Deere company.

Great, caught flat footed. Don't have one ready so this one is up for grabs. First to post gets the slot.

Back