• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Yep
"....Russia has revealed a new 152mm gun, with two barrels, vertically stacked. Unlike the smaller Gast-type guns in Russian service (GSh-23, GSh-30, 2A38M) the mechanisms are not mechanically linked, but they are connected through the hydraulic recoil system, and fire alternately. This principle is called the 'boxer' system. It is being developed by the Federal State Unitary Enterprise (FSUE) TsceNII 'Burevestnik' in cooperation with public corporations NPO 'BTA', FSUE 'Uraltransmash', FSUE 'TsceNIIM', and FSUE 'Uralvagonzavod'.

This gun has initially been developed for an army SPG, based on the 'object 195' tank chassis and called the 'Koalitcia-SV' ('coalition'). In this form, the gun has a 50-round automatic loader (the turret is unmanned) and can fire at about 15-18 rpm. It is expected to enter service in 2007.

There is also a proposed naval version, possibly intended as a replacement for the AK-130. It is reportedly being developed by Arsenal (although that is not confirmed) and will use a 'stealth' cupola.

The range with existing ammunition is about 50 km, but NIIP is developing a new round capable of up to 70 km....."

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/152x2.htm

Here's another one.

20htsgl.jpg

Looks like a modification of the M3 Amphibian Bridge & Ferry.

You've got it, and to be honest, it is hard to find information on this.
Here is all I have on it.

Type94 Beach Minelayer Vehicle
Length : 11.8m
Width :
2.8m (On the ground)
4.0m (On the sea)
Hight : 3.5m
Weight : 16t
Max Speed :
50Km/h (On the ground)
11Km/h (On the sea)
Crew : 3

http://www.strange-mecha.com/jsdf/jgsdf/jgsdf2.htm#Type92%20Mine%20Sweeping%20Vehicle

Your turn.

Steel Horse said:
You've got it, and to be honest, it is hard to find information on this.
Wikipedia has pictures that reinforce my idea that it was probably modified from some form of amphibious bridge/ferry.  However, there is not article to go with the pictures.

In any case, I'm tied up at the moment.  Next round goes to the person that gets a picture up first.

Steel Horse said:
http://www.strange-mecha.com/jsdf/jgsdf/jgsdf2.htm#Type92%20Mine%20Sweeping%20Vehicle
The mine roller on that page is actually a sheep's foot type compaction roller.  It would be pulled behind a dozer to compact earth (for such things as road construction).

Alright, I will throw out another one.
I always thought these were really cool, I think I first remember seeing them in a Pauly Shore movie, haha.
"In the Army Now" I think it was.

I have always known them as Desert Patrol Vehicles (DPV), but they were formally known as fast attack vehicles.

Desert Patrol Vehicle

Desert Patrol Vehicles are operated by U.S. Navy SEALs (Sea, Air, Land). They were formerly known as Fast Attack Vehicles. The DPVs are built by Chenowth Racing Products, Inc. They are modified version of off-road race cars.

During Desert Storm, the first U.S. forces to enter Kuwait City on the day it was liberated rolled in on these vechies. Because the hastly constructed obstacles could not hold back the off-road vehicles, the SEALs were able to go where they wanted to and avoid traps left by fleeing Iraqi troops. The vehicles raced ahead of U.S. troops to scout out territory, and darted behind enemy lines to assess the size and position of enemy forces.

The DPVs are equipped with an air-cooled, two-liter engine capable of producing 130 horsepower for a payload of 1,500 lbs. With a range of more than 200 miles, the vehicle is able to achieve a speed greater than 60 miles/hour. The vehicle's suspension is made up of two shock absorbers located at the front on each side and of four additional ones at the rear. In addition, the front suspension utilizes a position-sensitive trailing-arm system.

The SEAL Dune Buggy has a complex communication system that allows each Navy SEAL to communicate with the others while riding in the vehicles.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/dpv.htm

Anyhow, it's your turn.

Blackadder:

You almost got me on that one, but Greenhill saved the day. No picture but a very good written description. I felt that the gun mounts originally indicated French. What really threw me was what appears tobe an A/A Hotchkiss machine gun. Keep'em comimg!

Cheers,

tango22a

Back