• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

fscv_005.jpg

From the google translation:

http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/xy_fscv.htm

"(schu) - 1977 aroused the German arms producers Krauss Maffei and Rhine metal in co-operation with the American tank panzerschmiede FMC the idea of the storm tank to new life. On the chassis of the M113 a Fire support Combat Vehicle (FSCV) should develop, take over that equally the tasks of antitank defense, artillery fire support, infantry support, personnel transportation and clearing-up should. This “laying eggs woolly milch sow” found however no interest of buyer, so that the development was stopped.

The driver (at the same time gunner) should sit in front left, directly beside the cannon. In the combat area behind it the jobs of the commander and the loader should be. A door in the tail served as entrance into the combat area.

The vehicle and thus also the 105mm cannon could be steered and/or directed via a hydrostatic driving and steering gear.

Need way could have transported the FSCV also four soldiers."

French DP-2

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/france/France-Other.html

---
DP-2

Amphibious tank prototype, 1930. The prototype sank on it's maiden voyage.

Specifications Crew 3
Weight 12 tons
Dimensions ?
Armor 15mm
Armament 1 x 8mm MG
Powerplant V12 228hp
Performance 24.8mph (land) 4mph (water)

Well gonna assume I was right since it was the same pic on the link as was posted here so here's my attempt (probably not gonna be that hard to figure out, and I did a quick back track and didn't see it posted):

davidhmd said:
Well there's still always the Stuart ;)

M-3 Stuart
M3-Stuart-DSCN0022.JPG

M-5 Stuart
Bel-M5StuartLightTank.jpg

pre war M-2 Lt Tank
300px-M2-tank-england.gif

Again close but not it, I'm leaning towards early WW2 Eastern Europe, but it doesn't seem to match Soviet, Hungarian or Rumanian tanks that I know of and my Googlefu is weak today.

davidhmd said:
So which one was it?

The site I got the pic from called it the USA-M3A1 Stuart Light Tank so that is what I am assuming it is...

241 said:
The site I got the pic from called it the USA-M3A1 Stuart Light Tank so that is what I am assuming it is...

It may be the angle but I'm comparing it to the Stuart pic I posted and I don't see it, close but not there. turret looks too cylindrical. If I remember correctly the Rumanians had something similar to a Stuart before they were requipped by the Germans but for the life of me I couldn't find it.  ???

Edit;

Oh yeah almost forgot the new picture is a Kangaroo APC, the original version built from the M7 Priest  with 105mm gun removed not the later Ram version.

Full track Prime Movers M33, M34, M35

These were modifications of the M31, M32, and M10A1 respectively. Designed to move 240mm Howitzer and 8" guns pending delivery of the M6 HST. The modifications were the removal of recovery equipment (M31, M32) and armament (M10A1 turret). They added air brake systems for their artillery loads.

Im pretty sure someone already posted these pics.

Leo 1A3 in Austrailian service

Mod:  oops, talkin about the very first pics posted...thought they were the newest    :-[

48 highlander said:
Im pretty sure someone already posted these pics.

Leo 1A3 in Austrailian service

Huh, what pic?

The way this works is after you correctly answer the photo on display, then you get to choose and post your photo for us to try and ID. ::)

Mine Resistance Vehicle T15;

Extra belly and side armour was fitted, the turret was removed, and heavy duty tracks and suspension units reinforced by armoured brackets were fitted. Two other model, the T15E1 and T15E2 were also built, but all were very similar in appearance. work was started in September 1944, but was abandoned when the war ended.

Source; United States Tanks of WW2 by George Forty

M75 Armored Personnel Carrier (APC)

The first fully tracked ("boxed") infantry carriers were based on the chassis of available cargo tractors. Gradual development work led to the large and expensive M75 armored infantry vehicle. The M75 was deployed to Korea in the summer of 1953 where it was used in the final stages of the fighting. It was obvious from the outset that great numbers of these carriers were needed and a cheaper alternative was therefore necessary.

Designed to replace its post-World War II predecessors the 18.8-ton M75 personnel carrier could carry about a dozen troops, including the driver. It consisted of a tracked vehicle chassis upon which was mounted a box-like superstructure, or passenger compartment, which provided all-around protection for the troops. A small number of such vehicles were used near the end of the Korean War.

Constructed from welded steel and powered by an air cooled six cylinder, horizontally opposed AO-500-4 continental petrol (gasoline) engine with CD-500-4 cross drive transmission. The M75 was one of the first of it's type of carriers developed during the post WW2 years.

Fully loaded the M75 could carry twelve men. Ten fully loaded infantrymen, it's commander and driver, thereby giving it a combat weight of 41,500lbs. The M75 was originally developed and manufactured by the International Harvester Corporation. The Food Machinery and Chemical Corporation (FMC) were brought into the production program, and a total of 1,729 vehicles were built by February 1954 when production of the M75 ceased; due in the greater part to it's high cost of 100,000 Dollars per vehicle. It would eventually be replaced by the M-113

Back