• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

We tried them in Vietnam but apparently its illegal to send flaming koala's into a bunker system.
The reference to the tree's is because they're rubber tree's and the battle in question took place in a rubber plantation.

I know the book your talking about, its either called "Scorpians sting" or something like that with a picture of a carrier on the front or its another one called Jungle Tracks with a Cent on the front.

Almost Michael. I'm after an early action though. Same callsign, different car, about a year earlier i think.
Try looking out for rubber plantations. Nui Dat.

The Battle of Binh Ba
by Arthur Burke
http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/vietnam/binh_ba.html
"Twenty-five years after the Allied landing at Normandy on 6 June 1944, another military force also crossed a start line and advanced into history at the small rubber plantation village of Binh Ba in South Vietnam.

The peaceful morning air of Phuoc Tuy Province in South Vietnam was shattered at 7.20 am by a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) striking the turret of an Australian Centurion tank as it entered the village of Binh Ba, some six kilometres north of the Australian base at Nui Dat. Forty-eight hours later, the vicious Battle of Binh Ba concluded leaving one Australian dead and 10 wounded, but at least 107 enemy killed, six wounded and 29 detained for further investigation. This battle on 6 June 1969 was an undeniable success for the Australians and ranks as one of the major military victories of that force during the Vietnam War.

The question has often been asked, ‘Was this an ambush or an accident?’ Was the RPG fired by a nervous young local Viet Cong (VC) guerilla or a trigger-happy North Vietnamese Regular, or was this a deliberate attempt by 1st Battalion of 33rd North Vietnamese Army (NVA) Regiment to entice two Australian armoured vehicles into a trap which would draw resources away from the 6th Battalion Royal Australian Regimental (6 RAR) Group which was exerting pressure on the enemy from further north? This article tells the story of that modern D-Day battle and leaves the reader to make a decision.

The 6th Battalion had not long been in country and was still undergoing its warm-up or nursery operation which had commenced towards the end of May in an area some 17 km north of Nui Dat. Their supposedly rather benign patrolling southwards had, however, inadvertently begun to encroach upon the cross-country movement of an NVA battalion which was temporarily laying up in the former French rubber plantation village of Binh Ba. There is no doubt that it felt threatened by the hammer and anvil effect of 6 RAR pushing south towards the defended Nui Dat base............"

AWM BEL/69/0382/VN. Binh Ba, South Vietnam. 6 June 1969. Troops of D Company, 5th Battalion, the Royal Australian Regiment (5RAR), Commanded by Major Murray Blake, supported by Centurion tanks of B Squadron, 1st Armoured Regiment, sweep towards the edge of a rubber plantation, five miles north of the 1st Australian Task Force (1ATF) Base at Nui Dat.

The RPG which hit the replacement tank -- being accompanied to 6 RAR by an armoured recovery vehicle (ARV) -- seriously wounded the loader/operator and prevented the turret from traversing. The crew commander opened fire with a .30 calibre machine gun and was supported by the fire from two similar weapons on the ARV. The tank continued north to a nearby friendly village post whilst the recovery vehicle withdrew south to Nui Dat.

The tank’s arrival alerted the Vietnamese Regional Force (RF) Company who prepared to react against an enemy of (at that time) unknown strength. In parallel, the tank’s contact report sent by radio to the 1st Australian Task Force (1 ATF) base and a request for assistance from the Vietnamese District Chief resulted in the task force’s ready reaction force -- based on D Company 5 RAR -- being mobilised at about 9 am.

What i was actually after was an account of the Battle of Long Tan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan) in which a troop of M113 from 1st APC Squadron, led by Lt Adrian Roberts in 30A, helped pull D company out on the plantation.

Turns out i made this one a little too hard, the website that had all the details about the carriers, the callsigns and the blokes in them has disappeared since my last vist to the world wide web. Sorry if i led you on a wild goose chase. Sorry about that, but on a positive note, its good to see a reference to Binh Ba which was a huge go for Australian Tanks and Carriers. Fascinating to read the little details, like how the Americans would rely on HE and "Beehive", stocking nearly no AP in the tanks while the Australian Cent's kept enough AP to be able to knock down bunkers and pillboxs. The cents were apparently fantastic in Vietnam, the grunts loved having them around and their worth in clearing enemy positions was amazing. They stood up to more punishment then the American tanks and had a bigger armament.
Jungle Tracks is a fantastic read if you want to find out more about Armour in Jungle settings. Or just tanks generally.

Sorry i've wasted your time on that question without having anywhere for you chaps to get the answers from.

Hale said:
Sorry i've wasted your time on that question without having anywhere for you chaps to get the answers from.

No not a time waste for me. Interesting reading and I stumbled across the war daries from that era. Which is a book mark worth keeping.

Hale said:
Turns out i made this one a little too hard, the website that had all the details about the carriers, the callsigns and the blokes in them has disappeared since my last vist to the world wide web.

Here's something about tracks at Long Tan.
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~marshalle/lt/LTAPC.html

And something on/from (Col) Adrian Roberts about service during that time. http://members.tripod.com/sitrep1/cav28e.htm (go to the bottom of the page)

edited to include second link

What have we here?
1400_6539316339616363.jpg

Regards,
ironduke57

Hint2: It is not from the eastern hemisphere. It is not self developed and AFAIK they are the only user.

Regards,
ironduke57

No time to google and my AFV books are still packed ( book cases are 2" too high for new rec room :'( ) but from the looks of the troopies and surrounding foliage I'd suggest Mexico or Guatemala as possibles.

Danjanou said:
No time to google and my AFV books are still packed ( book cases are 2" too high for new rec room :'( )

I thought you said your reading from now on was limited to the "home handy man guide" ;D

Henschel HWK 11 (Mexican variant with 20mm turret)
http://62.128.210.96/fulltrack/hotel/hwk_series/hwk-series.html
http://62.128.210.96/fulltrack/hotel/hwk_series/hwk11-mexico-01/helio-intro.html

Thanks to Danjanou for the Mexico hint.  I was working my way through countries that might have branch insignia similiar to US style crossed swords as per the flag on the veh.

geo said:

An obvious guess, but incorrect.  While the design was perhaps suggested by the capabilities of the BV206, this one isn't Scandinavian.

Here's another view.

OK, an apparently easy one: take a look at this unusual combination, and tell me which country uses it:

Back