• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National" Borders- Trouble at The Cornwall Crossing

Government of Canada announced today plans to replace the north span with a low level bridge.
I am not sure this is a good idea until the get the point of entry situation worked out.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/August2010/10/c9563.html

Larkvall said:
Government of Canada announced today plans to replace the north span with a low level bridge.
I am not sure this is a good idea until the get the point of entry situation worked out.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/August2010/10/c9563.html

I couldn't glean it from the article ???  Surely they aren't going to build a second bridge and also have it on native land? 

zipperhead_cop said:
I couldn't glean it from the article ???  Surely they aren't going to build a second bridge and also have it on native land?

Yes.  The north span is wholly Canadian.  A new bridge that does not cross native land (Cornwall Island) would have to be either east or west of Cornwall by several kilometers.

The south span crosses the international border in mid-river and crosses the Seaway channel.  The existing north span is a high level span which crosses from Cornwall Island to Cornwall over the original Cornwall canal with enough clearance for shipping on the canal.  It's height became obsolete with the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Haggis said:
Yes.  The north span is wholly Canadian.  A new bridge that does not cross native land (Cornwall Island) would have to be either east or west of Cornwall by several kilometers.

Thank cripes for that.  Once the bridge is done, they'll have to go to full time water borne smuggling. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Thank cripes for that.  Once the bridge is done, they'll have to go to full time water borne smuggling.

I think you missed the point of my comment.  The plan is to only replace the north span - the Canadian span.  The existing south span suspension bridge will remain, which makes landfall in Canada on Cornwall Island.  The existing north span will be demolished after the new span is completed.  The end result is that there will still be two bridges at Cornwall. One from the US landfall to Cornwall Island (Canadian landfall) and the other from Cornwall Island to Cornwall.

My opinion is that there should be a third span from Cornwall to Cornwall Island.  Then, we eliminate alll land access to Cornwall Island from the international span (fences, barricades, concrete walls, etc.) and make every Canada bound vehicle come through the POE in Cornwall before returning to Cornwall Island via the third span.  There should be NO direct access to/from the US side from Cornwall Island.

I guess I did  :p

Why in the hell can't they just build a bridge from the US side to the Canadian side and avoid Native property all together? 

zipperhead_cop said:

Why in the hell can't they just build a bridge from the US side to the Canadian side and avoid Native property all together?
they will put up road blocks (which isn't terrorisim or illegal because it's "their land")  and you'll have to pay a toll and the police will be ordered to stand by and watch. 

zipperhead_cop said:

Cost and geography.  A direct span would have to be several kilometers upstream (west) where the crossing is very wide.  To go farther west makes the crossing redundant as you get closer to Prescott.

Cornwall Island was chosen as the point where the costs could be borne by both governments in the form of two spans - one from the US to Canada making landfall in Canada at Cornwall Island and one wholly Canadian north span.  The road link beween the two spans on Cornwall Island saved a huge sum of money compared to a direct span.

Haggis said:
The road link beween the two spans on Cornwall Island saved a huge sum of money compared to a direct span.

Very possibly, but it is not worth it in terms of criminality and smuggling. 

This crap doesn't surprise me, anyone ever read about the Native reserve in Northern Ontario that ran out their 11 OPP officers with a bull dozer?

.. sheshh.

canada94 said:
This crap doesn't surprise me, anyone ever read about the Native reserve in Northern Ontario that ran out their 11 OPP officers with a bull dozer?

.. sheshh.

Explain your post please.

canada94 said:

.. sheshh.

I recall the (fairly recent) incident. I think we must be careful not to wrap all aboriginal 'protests' in one flag.

Some (many? most?) aboriginal communities have huge socio-economic problems that, eventually, breed despair - not all of those problems are self inflicted wounds. The 'blame' for some of that despair must be laid at the feet of 'us'  the larger, Canadian community that has failed to accept its lawful responsibilities.

The situation near Cornwall is of a different nature and we, Canada, need have no sympathy.

To all whom are interested.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/christie-blatchford/opp-on-remote-reserve-chased-out-by-rock-throwing-mob/article1663733/

The OPP being removed.

canada94 said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/christie-blatchford/opp-on-remote-reserve-chased-out-by-rock-throwing-mob/article1663733/

The OPP being removed.

Equal parts pathetic and not surprising.  Every time institutional spinelessness like that occurs, it puts every officers life in danger by causing the insurgents to be more bold. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Equal parts pathetic and not surprising.  Every time institutional spinelessness like that occurs, it puts every officers life in danger by causing the insurgents to be more bold.

I totally agree, a very touchy subject as well though.

I'm sure there's a lot of rules with respect to OPP officers drawing their firearms. You only have so many bullets, and if there's a large crowd it would be better to just talk the situation down and leave, then to have it explode into another Oka. They can come back in force later and arrest the individuals, however, I doubt that'll happen.

PuckChaser said:
I'm sure there's a lot of rules with respect to OPP officers drawing their firearms. You only have so many bullets, and if there's a large crowd it would be better to just talk the situation down and leave, then to have it explode into another Oka. They can come back in force later and arrest the individuals, however, I doubt that'll happen.

Your very right according to my father (RCMP). My mom was in a task force specifically designed to stop smuggling from native reserves. As most of you may know, natives and the RCMP have a very dark history. My mom would find a hit on someone but to arrest them on the reserve they had to inform the head natives of the coming arrest ?.

So when the RCMP moved for the arrest there was no surprise the specific person, was never there.

Apollo Diomedes said:
Did the officers not have guns?

The government did not support their police at Ipperwash when officers were being fired at with actual bullets.  Forget about opening fire at a mob.  It comes down to whether or not the officer felt their or someone else's life was in danger, but when your organization won't back you, you second guess yourself and potentially put yourself in harms way. 

canada94 said:

The OPP being removed.

They need to go in there with enough force with ROE's/political backing sufficent to make it unwise to confront the police force or not go back and put up a big sign saying:

“Past this point there is no police service and anyone proceeding shall take whatever steps required.”

Pretty quick there will be no teachers, healthcare workers, tradesman etc. Harsh but realistic

Back