• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO Blinks, Calls For Forces To Retreat From Taliban If Civilians At Risk

Ummm, MG34
I promise that this will be my last post on this subject. As you know everbody walks away from their tour with different thoughts. I believe that we are fighting for the same piece of ground since 2006 based on our manning of the AOR. I never felt that the ROE's was an issue. It is by no means perfect however its better than the earlier 1990's (Croatia, Kosovo, Bosnia)Obviously the mandate was completely different then as to now. My Tshirt will read TF 1-08, ROE was never an issue in big black letters on my back!!!  (Kidding)

Tow Tripod

HARRIS - good thoughts.  I agree especially with point 2; this has been seen everywhere a theatre is in place.  I also agree with 4c but maybe a more aggressive approach to 4a would mitigate that probability.  The trouble is with 4b - the CF's mandate is not to provide an alternative in as much as an Afghan civilian can take advantage of it.  The CF alone could not possibly do it in my estimation.

It is worthy to note that the pre-TB Mujahideen (who were at one point the good guys) killed more civilians than even the TB (who were also at one point good guys) --- and yes I use the term very loosely --- who since their mobilization in 1994 have simply continued that tradition.  YET, everyone ELSE is made to look like they target civilians.

I think NATO is trying to mitigate the damage that is done, especially when news of civilian deaths are used as propaganda so that there can be some effort to undermine the TB.  However, if you read Ghost Wars and Forbidden Truth - maybe you too will come to the conclusion I did that the TB are far more advanced in their approach to fighting the war.  Heck, they've been at it since 1979!!!

Tow Tripod said:
Ummm, MG34
I promise that this will be my last post on this subject. As you know everbody walks away from their tour with different thoughts. I believe that we are fighting for the same piece of ground since 2006 based on our manning of the AOR. I never felt that the ROE's was an issue. It is by no means perfect however its better than the earlier 1990's (Croatia, Kosovo, Bosnia)Obviously the mandate was completely different then as to now. My Tshirt will read TF 1-08, ROE was never an issue in big black letters on my back!!!  (Kidding)

Tow Tripod

It feels like we invented that wonderful, renewable makework project 30+ years ago.....we cleared areas, bunkers, pacified villages, then left, 2 weeks/2 months we were back doing the same thing, ................repeat

"It is worthy to note that the pre-TB Mujahideen (who were at one point the good guys) killed more civilians than even the TB (who were also at one point good guys)"
And who says power doesn't corrupt... it is obviously the rule rather than the exception in the cases of these two militant factions. This is why we are having such a hard time in this fight. GAP said it was the same for his war... do we not learn from history? I feel that this is not the direction we should be going as an army of liberators ,IMHO. Ubique

Back