• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO Climate Change and Security Centre of Excellence

The announcement of the funding was the only reference to Defence spending that I could find in Budget 2023 other than the 3% budget reduction for all departments next year.

Thus what is our ratio now, next year? 1.2%

Bump....

Joint Press Conference for NATO Chiefs of Defence meeting, 18 January 2024

Lots of talk about energy independence and infrastructure resiliency as well as protecting the electrical system.

Electrical systems are the definition of central control. Everything is tied to everything else and it requires hard connections. It is the equivalent of running an army by field telephone. Wireless became pretty popular for a reason.

If every house has its own fireplace than it is not worried about the power going out. A fireplace is fuel independent and supplies heat and light.

If the government wanted to promote something resilient and more efficient than a fireplace then they might look at something like this:

1705775121050.png1705775132037.png

Heat, Electricity, Hot Water, Resiliency (add a gas storage tank), Multifuel possible, very high efficiency (>90% vs 30% for electricity), no line losses and multiple fuel delivery options (pipeline, tanker truck or self-serve gas tanks).

Add a hot water tank and you can store heat.

Add some batteries/capacitors and you can also store electricity and rapidly charge your e-bikes and go-kart runabouts.

And save the planet.

The Calgary chap captured the CO2 at the point of use as K2CO3 and managed it as a solid.
This Icelandic operation captures the CO2 as a gas and pumps it down wells with water into basalt where it reacts and creates carbonate rocks.

As a wee, wee lad - age 5 or so - my early jobs were to bring in coal in a bucket for the fires and ranges, to clean out the fires in the morning and relay them, and remove the ashes. I took the ashes out to the dust bin along with the rest of the garbage - that garbage that wasn't burnt in the fires and ranges.

One dustbin once a week was pretty much our entire waste. Hot water in the house came from the pipes in the range in the kitchen which also heated the kitchen, was my mother's cooking surface and her ovens.

If the Calgary idea caught on and was applied to the microCHP systems fueled by the existing natural gas network the overhead power lines would disappear, fuel efficiency would increase by 40 to 60% and CO2 emissions would be eliminated and converted to a clean mineral that could be safely managed at home and by the existing garbage trucks, recyclers and landfill.

As a wee, wee lad - age 5 or so - my early jobs were to bring in coal in a bucket for the fires and ranges, to clean out the fires in the morning and relay them, and remove the ashes. I took the ashes out to the dust bin along with the rest of the garbage - that garbage that wasn't burnt in the fires and ranges.

One dustbin once a week was pretty much our entire waste. Hot water in the house came from the pipes in the range in the kitchen which also heated the kitchen, was my mother's cooking surface and her ovens.

Cue Four Yorkshiremen

As long as it is clear that change is.

Punkt.

You are kidding, right Kirkhill !!!

There is no debate that rapid climate change is happening and has accelerated in the last 30 years or so. The debates left , if any (I put this here to satisfy both sides), are (1) is it anthropogenic? and, (2) regardless of cause, can humans do anything about it?

Well, military staffs in many countries serious about defense have started long ago to examine the strategic consequences of climate change. This of course hasn't happened in Canada, though I believe there is now a cell set up at NDHQ within the strategic review organization to look at this.

Just to show you how far back such military strategic review goes, Gwynne Dyer obtained copies of these strategic studies, where possible, and interviewed many of the staffers who worked on them in order to publish a book called "Climate Wars" back in 2009. That's 15 years ago.

P.S. : That book was an interesting and good read 15 years ago, and I pulled it out again about a year ago and found that it had aged very gracefully. It is still a relevant read.

You are kidding, right Kirkhill !!!

There is no debate that rapid climate change is happening and has accelerated in the last 30 years or so. The debates left , if any (I put this here to satisfy both sides), are (1) is it anthropogenic? and, (2) regardless of cause, can humans do anything about it?

Well, military staffs in many countries serious about defense have started long ago to examine the strategic consequences of climate change. This of course hasn't happened in Canada, though I believe there is now a cell set up at NDHQ within the strategic review organization to look at this.

Just to show you how far back such military strategic review goes, Gwynne Dyer obtained copies of these strategic studies, where possible, and interviewed many of the staffers who worked on them in order to publish a book called "Climate Wars" back in 2009. That's 15 years ago.

P.S. : That book was an interesting and good read 15 years ago, and I pulled it out again about a year ago and found that it had aged very gracefully. It is still a relevant read.

The US military has looked at it since at least 2014. It considers climate change a threat to national security.

Heat, Electricity, Hot Water, Resiliency (add a gas storage tank), Multifuel possible, very high efficiency (>90% vs 30% for electricity), no line losses and multiple fuel delivery options (pipeline, tanker truck or self-serve gas tanks).
Are these available in Canada yet, I've been following them for a long time (they've been available in Japan for a long time).

My current house already has a hot water storage tank with an oil fired burner, but has propane for the gas stove. I would love to get rid of the oil fired furnace and replace it with a co-gen.

I already have a small battery and inverter charger for outages (200aH, small for a house but pretty large when I have it in my tent trailer). My ultimate goal is solar electric with battery (and maybe no grid tie), solar hot water, a cogen to replace the boiler, and the around the city car a EV.

Are these available in Canada yet, I've been following them for a long time (they've been available in Japan for a long time).

My current house already has a hot water storage tank with an oil fired burner, but has propane for the gas stove. I would love to get rid of the oil fired furnace and replace it with a co-gen.

I already have a small battery and inverter charger for outages (200aH, small for a house but pretty large when I have it in my tent trailer). My ultimate goal is solar electric with battery (and maybe no grid tie), solar hot water, a cogen to replace the boiler, and the around the city car a EV.

I can't find any current references to them. Most of the info spikes round about 2011 and then seems to have gone quiet. I keep wondering if it is related to the ambivalence about natural gas. Clean but not clean enough for some.

I was intrigued by the ATCO reference to a Western Engineering article.

1705867993424.png

Cogeneration System for Residential Use​

Cogeneration System for Residential Use

ENE·FARM is a system that generates electricity by extracting hydrogen from gas delivered to each household to cause a reaction with oxygen. COREMO is a system that generates electricity by use of a gas engine. These are energy-saving systems that use heat created at the time of power generation for hot-water supply.
Residential cogeneration systems will help provide a future-oriented, comfortable living condistions and will assist in developing environmentally friendly communities around the world.

I can't find any current references to them. Most of the info spikes round about 2011 and then seems to have gone quiet. I keep wondering if it is related to the ambivalence about natural gas. Clean but not clean enough for some.
A company called Clean Energy, LLC was selling the Honda Freewatts in the US, but they stopped around 10 years ago. There is another company called Marathon Engine Systems that makes one supposedly more efficient than the Honda one, now owned by Axiom Energy. They don't seem to have a dealer network though.

Axiom Energy Group Micro Combined Heat & Power

Available or not, if I'm reading the description properly, roughly 1Kw is fairly small and won't power a whole lot (less than an electric kettle), and it seems the heat is created by exhaust recovery. It might be enough to warm your water but I'm not sure it would have the electrical capacity to pump it around.

It's unlikely that there are no anthropogenic effects, but the mix of causes is less important than dealing with the social effects. Likewise, they should be planning for what happens when governments induce famines, accidentally unleash viruses, or trigger large scale migrations.

Back