• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO Climate Change and Security Centre of Excellence

Useless pontificating.
I want to know which PYs the CAF is going to throw in to this "Centre of Excellence" 🤣

If I were an Infantry Officer and got told I was being posted to the "NATO Climate Change Centre"

Well.....

Hanging Arnold Schwarzenegger GIF by xponentialdesign

• Humorous
Reactions: QV
Useless pontificating.
Climate change is a factor in geopolitics, so there is a lot of interest within NATO, specifically the MetOc/GeoInt worlds. It's not about stopping climate change, it's about better understanding how the climate is changing, and how that needs to be factored into military planning.

Climate change is a factor in geopolitics, so there is a lot of interest within NATO, specifically the MetOc/GeoInt worlds. It's not about stopping climate change, it's about better understanding how the climate is changing, and how that needs to be factored into military planning.

Which can be done by any competent staff as part of their usual range of information gathering activities, as opposed to setting up a Virtue Signalling CoE ...

Which can be done by any competent staff as part of their usual range of information gathering activities, as opposed to setting up a Virtue Signalling CoE ...
Staff planners use information provided by experts, the experts are getting together so they can make sure they are providing the best information.

Weather and climate data doesn't just happen, you'd likely be surprised by how much coordination goes on continuously between countries to share data.

Staff planners use information provided by experts, the experts are getting together so they can make sure they are providing the best information.

Weather and climate data doesn't just happen, you'd likely be surprised by how much coordination goes on continuously between countries to share data.
I do find that part of your job very interesting!

I have no knowledge of this 'part of the ship', of course, but there must be other, existing, government and other sources already available that can provide relevant information...

... isn't there?

I have no knowledge of this 'part of the ship', of course, but there must be other, existing, government and other sources already available that can provide relevant information...

... isn't there?
There is already this expertise in CF Int Comd. They also had a Medical Intelligence Unit that reported on the dangers of the COVID-19 virus pre-pandemic reaching our shores....

Nobody listened to them 🫣

... isn't there?
Yes... but NATO loves HQ bloat even more than the CAF.

My boss, the Director Meteorology and Oceanography, as well as his deputy, the science dev meteorologist at D Met Oc, and the CFWOS network manager, work with ECCC to push that sort of data to the CAF, and to NATO through a few different committees and working groups.

I'm not suggesting the CoE is a great thing, more just defending the idea as something not entirely without merit. If we work more closely with other countries we can share limited resources.

Back