• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO to send up to 6,000 troops, including Canadians, to southern Afghanistan & Layton wants to stop our deployment

Chimo

Inactive
Reaction score
BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - NATO foreign ministers approved plans Thursday to send up to 6,000 troops into southern Afghanistan, a major expansion of the alliance's security mission in some of the most dangerous parts of the country.

The deployment next year of mostly European and Canadian troops will free U.S. forces to focus on counter-insurgency operations against Taliban and al-Qaida fighters in Afghanistan's volatile south and east.

"We have today agreed to move NATO's support for peace and security in Afghanistan to a new level," the ministers said in a statement.

NATO's expansion should allow the United States to scale back its 18,000-member military presence almost five years after it invaded the country following the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington. The Pentagon, however, has yet to say how many troops it will withdraw.

Full story on theCBC website: http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/051208/w120832.html

Although this isn't news to many of us. I think the freeing up of US Soldiers to continue the fight in Iraq while NATO shares more of the responsibility for the GWOT shows a postive reaction, particularly from the Europeans.  :salute:

Any dates when TF AGIES will move from OEF to ISAF?

Hmm....I wonder if the existing Canadian TF will take care of this, or if they will deploy the stand by TF? I sure hope so! I hope to be on TF 2-07 next year with 3PPCLI.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The Op ARCHER forces will transition from OEF under the US to ISAF under NATO.

MCG said:
Any dates when TF AGIES will move from OEF to ISAF?

The info I recieved while in Kabul was the goal of having cbt forces out of OEF by Aug of 06, and all US Forces (including trainers) out in 08.

MCG said:
The Op ARCHER forces will transition from OEF under the US to ISAF under NATO.

And correct me if I am wrong, but as soon as the NATO TF comd takes over from US comd, forces under that command become ISAF vs OEF.

Not sure about the standby taskforce but the surge force has pretty much been expended.

And correct me if I am wrong, but as soon as the NATO TF comd takes over from US comd, forces under that command become ISAF vs OEF.

That's right.  ARCHER is OEF at the moment (as you know) but the plan is to shift in the August timeframe.  Personally, I'm not holding my breath waiting for NATO to take over Kandahar province.  IIRC, there were major delays moving into Herat as the various individual countries fought it out - and France and Germany are none too eager to take over a combat role (which it assuredly will be) in the Southern Provinces...  IMHO, the distinction between ISAF and OEF will become increasingly blurred as time wears on.

So let me get this straight - we were part of OEF for Apollo, went to ISAF for Athena, now for Archer we are back to OIF but we'll soon be transitioning back to ISAF due to the fact that the Americans are pulling out and folding OEF?

Isn't it still bloody hot to the south?  Is it wise for the Americans to pull out?

OEF is not foldingup & going home.  It would be more accurate to say it is reducing its AOR, and ISAF will fill the void.

ISAF is supposed to expand (ISAF III-IV) to include the South, transitioning from OEF to ISAF sometine in '06. The Europeans are getting a bit wobbly about the expansion as the South and East involve actual COIN ops, as opposed to more benign stab ops.

Apollo was in K'har under the US. Athena was(is) in Kabul under ISAF. Archer is back in K'har under OEF. The US, I think, wants to hand A'ghan over so they can concentrate on OIF.

No more Canadian troops to Afghanistan, Layton says

from: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006/national/2005/12/08/layton-troops051208.html

Last Updated Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:27:15 EST
CBC News
NDP Leader Jack Layton called for an immediate halt to sending more Canadian troops to Afghanistan, warning that Canada must not "drift into a war blindly."

"We appear to be drifting from our original mission there â “ which was to provide security in the capital region â “ and into a combat role side-by-side with American troops," Layton said in a statement.

Layton's announcement follows NATO's approval of a plan to send up to 6,000 troops into southern Afghanistan in a major expansion of their mission.

"We must not drift into a war blindly or secretly, on the say-so of one man â “ Mr. Martin."

"Canadians need to have a debate on whether they want Canadian service personnel to become deeply involved in an initiative that's pressed forward by (U.S. President) George Bush," said Layton at a campaign stop in St. John's, N.L.

As many as 1,250 Canadian soldiers will be serving in Afghanistan by February 2006. Troops are expected to take part in combat patrols in the mountainous country surrounding Kandahar. Defence Minister Bill Graham has been warning the public for months to expect casualties.

"We believe the prime minister owes Canadians an explanation of the goals of this mission, of the commitments we would be making and of what the withdrawal plan there would be and then there should be a discussion in Parliament," Layton said.

Shhhh! What was that?!!!... for a minute there I thought I heard someone giving a rats rectum.

Currently, AFG is split up into four regional commands (RC's), two are ISAF ( RC(W) and RC(N) ) while two are OEF/CFC-A (RC(S) and RC(E))  The Canadians will command RC(S), still under Command of LG Eikenberry (CG CFC-A) and MG Kamiya, CG CJTF-76 (under whom Comd RC(S) will command).  Our troops will only become ISAF when the US (CFC-A) relinquishes command of RC(S) to ISAF.  Those dates are not firm yet....and the US statement about having most of its 18,000 troops currently in AFG leave by 08 is still just a plan from what I hear.  I suspect, like many things in life, these dates will slide to the right.

Cheers,
Duey

Halt troop deployment to Afghanistan Layton
http://www.herald.ns.ca/Search/470154.html

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. â ” On what was supposed to be a day dedicated to seniors issues, Jack Layton trumped his own feel-good $1.5-billion seniors policy by calling for a halt to Canadian troop deployment in war-torn Afghanistan.

The wounding of three special forces soldiers in a battle near Kandahar this week and the more aggressive posture of Canadian troops as they prepare to return to the region en masse highlights a delicate legal point.

There has been no formal public debate â ” or declaration of war.

As he arrived in St. John's, N.L., Layton said he doesn't want the country to drift into a war blindly or secretly.

He called for an immediate halt to Canada's buildup of troops in southern Afghanistan, and he demanded that Prime Minister Paul Martin define the goals of the mission, which has been in preparation for months.

As well, Layton wants country's involvement in the war on terror debated in the House of Commons.

Earlier in Dartmouth, Layton promised seniors that the NDP would work to improve their lot.

He said he would negotiate with any future minority government â ” Liberal or Conservative â ” to put $1.5 billion into home care and long-term care.

The NDP plan would create a $1-billion annual transfer to the provinces to expand home-care services, which would allow seniors to stay in their own homes while receiving supervised care.

It's estimated the program would affect 100,000 households.

Layton said he would also phase in a $500-million plan to create as many as 40,000 new long-term care spaces over four years.

Improving home-care services is important because it would free up hospital beds, Layton says.

Opinion polls have repeatedly suggested that health care remains Canadians' top priority.

In Afghanistan, as many as 2,000 Canadian combat troops are expected to be on the ground by March, as the army joins other NATO countries in a mission to rebuild the southern region, including the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar.

Part of the mission will involve forays into the mountainous creases that surround the area to flush out resistance fighters.

Doesnt want us to drift into a war? what does he think has been going on there the last few years? handing out flowers? I suppose the invasion we helped with, particularly 3ppcli, was just roughhousing? Or is he even aware that happened?
"no formal declaration of war"
What are we supposed to declare war on? A bunch of guys hiding in the mountains building IEDs ?

Another reason why I hate the NDP. This guy is a moron and ive never liked him.

yes, I read it this morning and almost lost my mind.

Its on the inside of the first or second page.

Mack674 said:
Doesnt want us to drift into a war? what does he think has been going on there the last few years? handing out flowers? I suppose the invasion we helped with, particularly 3ppcli, was just roughhousing? Or is he even aware that happened?
"no formal declaration of war"
What are we supposed to declare war on? A bunch of guys hiding in the mountains building IEDs ?

Another reason why I hate the NDP. This guy is a moron and ive never liked him.

IMO, Obviously Mr. Layton (NDP), though calling for change and a left wingist who is suppose to embrace change, is stuck so woefully in the past that he has no clue what we are fighting for today.  War has changed, and Layton is stuck in the Cold War era of war declarations. We're fighting an (unknown) enemy who is quick, agile, and deadly. Why don't he concentrate more on getting our fighting men the equipment they need to get the job done? As for us relocating to Khandahar, Kabul is relatively peaceful and secure, our mission's goal was to spread the influence of the elected Afghan government was it not? Does he not think the rest of the country deserve the same peace as Kabul?
Just my two cents.

Dan

Meh. I wouldn't expect the NDP to take any other position.

He's simply paying lip-service to their fan base.

If it doesn't have anything to do with windmills, whales or hospital waiting times "Smiling Jack" doesn't want anything to do with it. The military "That's so un-Canadian." Do the NDP even have a defence platform? Check-out their web-site, I found nothing. I guess the fact the rest of the world is engaged in a global war on terror doesn't figure in Layton's plans of a Windmill in every back-yard policy. When is this guy going to pull his head out of his ass?

Back