• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval High Collar White Tunic

Wolfmann

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Where can I find a supplier for the high collar tunic? And can we wear the Brit pattern tunic, or does it have to be the Can/US pattern?

If needbe could I call Borden or ASU London (I'm in Souther Western Ontario) and order one from supply there?

You should be able to get one from Clothing Online if you're entitled to one. I know it's optional for NCOs, but I've not seen them in the catalogue for NCOs. You could get a Naval Officer to order one for you using his points, and then return the favour later.

It's been a few years since I wore the Navy uniform, but last I heard the high collar whites weren't a Clothing Online item.  One had to have them custom made by a tailor shop.  I know I've seen advertisements (in Canex, perhaps?) for various tailor shops that sold them.

Edit:  I remembered the name of one of them.  http://www.mariomastertailor.com/index.shtml

If I recall correctly, they have someone in the Halifax area that takes the custom measurements, and they're probably produced at their Ottawa shop.  I'd have to guess they do the same in other cities...worth a phone call to find out, I guess.

ModlrMike said:
You should be able to get one from Clothing Online if you're entitled to one. I know it's optional for NCOs, but I've not seen them in the catalogue for NCOs. You could get a Naval Officer to order one for you using his points, and then return the favour later.

I'm entitled to one. And they are not available on Clothing Online through Logistiks. I can order the white shoulder flashes and buttons for the tunic, but not the tunic.

Since you're in London ON, check out Victor Bax Tailors on Highbury (I think?) and Dundas...I'm not 100% sure he's still there, but he made my Naval mess kit (for relatively cheap) and apparently did High-Collars as well; you just had to ask ASU London for the amount of white material required. 

Hope it helps!

Dimsum said:
Since you're in London ON, check out Victor Bax Tailors on Highbury (I think?) and Dundas...I'm not 100% sure he's still there, but he made my Naval mess kit (for relatively cheap) and apparently did High-Collars as well; you just had to ask ASU London for the amount of white material required. 

Hope it helps!

Is it good quality...as in the threads aren't coming out a year later, and it's a good fit that looks good and still comfy?

From his earlier work on the mess kit, it's very good quality.  I've had mine for 3 years (until I switched elements) and had no complaints. 

Thing is, how often do you plan on wearing it?  I had high-collars for 3 years onboard ship and never wore it once.

Dimsum said:
Thing is, how often do you plan on wearing it?  I had high-collars for 3 years onboard ship and never wore it once.

My dad is having a summer wedding next year. It's significantly cheaper than mess kit, which I may be getting for the reception anyway.

Like Blackadder said no White Chokers for the RN. Go check out that tailor, I know a place where you can get one for $130 and it's the exact material used for the US Navy chokers. Heck, itks the same damn thing! Let me know... It's a well kept secret ;)

Wolfmann said:
I'm entitled to one.

How can there be an entitlement to this item when it's not available through the supply system?  The only way you can get one is on your own dime.  (Although I wonder if musicians are able to get them paid for, as I've seen the Stad Band parading in them.)

RN Dress Regs must have changed in the last while, as historically, Officers in the Royal Navy have worn the high collar whites.

NCMs and NCOs are also permitted to wear them, mind you I can't count the number of times I have worn my whites in the past 13 years on 2 hands. Its a sharp and looks good but not much call IMO for us lower deckers.

Matt_Fisher said:
RN Dress Regs must have changed in the last while, as historically, Officers in the Royal Navy have worn the high collar whites.

Yes, and I was surprised to discover that the RN no longer has this rig.  Its replacement looks much less formal, but extremely comfortable.

My white naval choker jacket (navy high collared white jacket) was bought at the US Naval Academy supply. Got it for around
$ 130  USD when we were at parity. I also bought some for a few guys at the College. The difference between having it tailored here and the states is the fabric (which has an effect on the price). The US is 100% polyester while the canadian is 75% with 25% wool. You can get the proper canadian shoulder flashes and buttons - because for the buttons aren't the same for this jacket, at your local tailor shop. Last time I checked, the canadian jackets were all above $ 425 CDN. Take note that:

-"The optional navy high-collared white jacket
is worn only during the summer dress period.
A uniform of either 65/35 or 75/25 poly/cotton
mix or 100 percent polyester is authorized for
wear, provided components are not mixed."

I wear my whites when its nice summer time aka as much as possible. The CF dress and regs specify that the navy high collared white jacket is optional and that it "may be worn as summer dress and in hot climates for ceremonial and semiceremonial occasions." I wear mine as summer dress when it's starts to get warm. In the States they wear it much more often. Too bad that we have this preconception of the whites for foreign ports and exotic climates.

I am looking to get the high collared white tunic. I have been told that the best way to get it is to order it online from the States and then take it to the tailor here to get Canadianized. (multiple sources including the Canex Tailor)

Does anybody know of a website to order it from? I have been googleing around for it but I haven't found anything yet.

Yes, I know that it works to go to NEX when I am down in the States to get it, but I need it before my next States trip.

Thanks

PM me and I'll send you the web address. You can thank me later.

Bought mine on ebay for $100 from a guy in Virginia. Changed the buttons myself for Canada ones, and had a tailor sewon the Canada tabs.  When I ordered from him, he askked what size pants, tunics etc. So he has a supply for sure. Can send you pic if you want. Well satisfied with them. Wore them to a buddies wedding in the Wardroom.

Back