• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval High Collar White Tunic

I was surprised to find out a foreign uniform component was approved for use here.  I like it - I think it looks really sharp, but it was surprising.

Too bad there's no high-collar dark tunic.

Yes there is Reven it's called Patrol Blues, which is a high collared rmy uniform coloured dark/navy blue.

It's also not a foreign piece of kit. The high collared white tunic was and still is a part of the Canadian Navy's uniform. The only thing is that we had stopped making them on a regular basis. The USN pattern is the same as ours used to be appearance wise however we've had some divergence in designs as in where the damn sword slit is... Stupid USN sword slit!!

I think Reven means a high collar navy DEU, in black... Which, I think, would be pretty sharp.

Yes, that's what I meant - and yes, it would be sharp.

About the sword slit - is the white jacket even used on parade?  If we don't even make them any more, can you ask a whole division to wear it?

Are white jackets used on parade ???
Hint.... they are now "optional" dress... not provided by the Navy at crown expense.... you figure it out

Reven said:
About the sword slit - is the white jacket even used on parade?  If we don't even make them any more, can you ask a whole division to wear it?

They are worn on parade from time to time, but we wear swords differently in Canada from how they do in the US.  In the US there is a slit on the left side of the jacket and the hook on the sword belt is passed through it allowing the scabbard to be hooked up with the sword in it.  In Canada we almost never wear the sword hooked up.  When the sword is drawn we hook up the empty scabbard under the jacket.

High collared BLACK tunic? Like the Storm Trooper officers of the Imperial Navy?

Huh... that would look... uh... interesting.

Or more like the Japanese Navy's high collared black tunics... those were... uh... interesting too.

MedTech said:
Or more like the Japanese Navy's high collared black tunics... those were... uh... interesting too.

Not to mention the Russians, a la Hunt for Red October.  Actually, come to think of it, it might not be a bad idea.  Maybe if the AF did it as well, in blue..."steal" one of the designs that the USAF has been toying with lately.  But I digress.

MedTech said:
High collared BLACK tunic? Like the Storm Trooper officers of the Imperial Navy?

Huh... that would look... uh... interesting.

Here's a picture of the naval full dress uniform (not currently worn in the CF):

http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/Camilla%20and%20Charles.jpg

Neill McKay said:
Here's a picture of the naval full dress uniform (not currently worn in the CF):

http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/Camilla%20and%20Charles.jpg

Though, the "wavy navy" conly probably still get away with it....

(Uhh... does the wavy navy still exist ??? )

Umm... In fact, I was wondering if there is a definite line between the Reserve and Active Navy.
On the green side of the house, the Reserve/Militia have grandfathered dress regulations that go back to the old pre unification army which, in theory the Regs don't have..... but in actual fact - the Regs have also adopted.....

RCR Scarlets, PPCLI Scarlets, RCD & Strathcona mounted cavalry, 5 RGC guard kitted out in RCE Patrols.

geo said:
Umm... In fact, I was wondering if there is a definite line between the Reserve and Active Navy.
On the green side of the house, the Reserve/Militia have grandfathered dress regulations that go back to the old pre unification army which, in theory the Regs don't have..... but in actual fact - the Regs have also adopted.....

RCR Scarlets, PPCLI Scarlets, RCD & Strathcona mounted cavalry, 5 RGC guard kitted out in RCE Patrols.

No such distinctions exist in the navy between regular and reserve components.

The culture of the navy has traditionally been to identify with the Service itself, not with a branch or regiment.  In most Commonwealth navies the officers' uniforms are all the same, regardless of branch.  In fact, I think Canada is the only country whose naval members wear different cap badges according to branch.  (I don't believe there are any navies still wearing different coloured cloth between officers' stripes to indicate branch, but that is a former practice in the RCN and other Commonwealth navies.)

Neill McKay said:
(I don't believe there are any navies still wearing different coloured cloth between officers' stripes to indicate branch, but that is a former practice in the RCN and other Commonwealth navies.)

Nursing and Medical officers do wear the scarlet cloth in between the officer's stripes, at least on DEU slip-ons.  I can't remember if they wear them on the tunic itself.

Dimsum said:
Nursing and Medical officers do wear the scarlet cloth in between the officer's stripes, at least on DEU slip-ons.  I can't remember if they wear them on the tunic itself.

You're right, they do (and it is on the tunic as well).

Dimsum said:

Close, but not exactly correct.

A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CHAPTER 3 ANNEX D
4. Navy Medical Branch officers shall wear the following coloured distinction cloth between rank insignia braid on ceremonial, mess, service and base dress:
    a. medical officers – scarlet distinction cloth; and
    b. all other officers of the Medical Branch – maroon distinction cloth.

This may be a dumb question, but, when wearing the white tunic chocker, which shirt is worn underneath?  Are we wearing ties underneath?

N. McKay said:
  (I don't believe there are any navies still wearing different coloured cloth between officers' stripes to indicate branch, but that is a former practice in the RCN and other Commonwealth navies.)

In the RAN our Medical, Nursing and Dental Officers have cloth between the stripes, but with those exceptions thats it these days.

ltmaverick25 said:
This may be a dumb question, but, when wearing the white tunic chocker, which shirt is worn underneath?  Are we wearing ties underneath?

Unless the CF is different then there is no shirt underneath. Just tunic on skin. And its pretty bloody comfortable.
Unless you opted to wear a plain white t-shirt or singlet to prevent sweat from getting on the good stuff. Mind you, in hot weather and undershirt can often do more harm than good.

When I used to wear patrols, I'd wear a singlet & a phony white colar.  Much more comfortable than shirt & tie... unless I put on some tonnage over the winter & the high colar started to dig in :piggy:

Back