• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval High Collar White Tunic

ltmaverick25 said:
This may be a dumb question, but, when wearing the white tunic chocker, which shirt is worn underneath?  Are we wearing ties underneath?

There is no such thing as a dumb question...  Anyhow, in answer to your question, you wear the tunic by itself, you can wear a white t-shirt or tanktop underneath.  The reason is with the collar, you cannot wear any other dress shirt underneath because of it.
Hope that helps,
Cheers.

cheeky_monkey said:
Is there a Canadian source for the high collar whites?

Any tailor that produces mess dress can fabricate high collar whites.  I would recommend Andre Tailors.  There is no source in Canada that sells of the rack.  Many officers will purchase through the USN (NEX) as the pattern is close enough to pass inspection.  A commercial source in the US that sells online is Marlow White.

NW TECH CHIEF said:
Many officers will purchase through the USN (NEX) as the pattern is close enough to pass inspection. 

The USN pattern IS the accepted pattern.

NW TECH CHIEF said:
Any tailor that produces mess dress can fabricate high collar whites.  I would recommend Andre Tailors.  There is no source in Canada that sells of the rack.  Many officers will purchase through the USN (NEX) as the pattern is close enough to pass inspection.   A commercial source in the US that sells online is Marlow White.

You sure Marlow White still carries them? All I could find was mess dress.

cheeky_monkey said:
You sure Marlow White still carries them? All I could find was mess dress.

My mistake on that, the Marlow White site was for the white mess dress jacket.  The following site has the "Choker White" jacket.  They advertise that they will deliver to Canada through USPS.  http://stores.uniforms-4you.com

Looks like I may be attending a fleet week later this year and will be looking for a high collar white tunic. I went through Andrei Tailors for my mess kit however was wondering if there may be a less expensive option online. The links I have found here don't seem to work anymore, and the last time I was in Norfolk we were told that the NEX will no longer sell them to Canadian sailors (???) I'm also not really keen on the eBay route as it can be hard to verify a legit seller.

Has anyone here purchased a white tunic lately? Where did you source the buttons/gold braided flashes?

(Also recommend merging with other thread here.)

Also, I've bought and sold via PayPal and there is buyer and seller protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModlrMike said:
Try here: http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-service-dress-white-choker-3095.aspx

Take it to the tailor to Canadianize. It will need new buttons, flashes, and loops for the shoulder boards. If you live close to the US border, you could have it shipped to a mail outlet, and then pick it up. Might fare better on the shipping charges.

Assume I'm in Halifax; off the top of your head does the base tailor have the buttons/flashes/loops required or should I be looking for them separately?

You should be able to get everything from the base tailor. You might have to get the buttons and/or flashes from clothing stores, if that's how your base supply is set up. Failing that, you can order buttons from William Scully. You will need both 36 line (x4) and 26 line (x2) sized. They may also have the flashes. As a last resort, consider crawling some of the surplus stores in Halifax for the accoutrements.

ModlrMike said:
You should be able to get everything from the base tailor. You might have to get the buttons and/or flashes from clothing stores, if that's how your base supply is set up. Failing that, you can order buttons from William Scully. You will need both 36 line (x4) and 26 line (x2) sized. They may also have the flashes.

Flashes are the same as the ones on the short sleeve white shirt, so Supply/Clothing Stores will definitely have them.

I think they can take care of all the Richard Geer's out there and fix them up.

I'm in Edmonton.  Do you know a tailor that could make me a naval high collar tunic in town? Thanks. 

If you want it made, you'll pay through the nose. Better to mail order.

Are you're thinking about ordering from them? http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-customizable-us-navy-service-dress-white-military-uniform-5291.aspx
Andrei Master Tailors make it for 750$!!
Would you recommend me to order it from there and then get it tailored here?
Any experience with the customs?
As mentionned in a previous post, the US high collar is 100% polyester while the Canadian is 75% with 25% wool. Can we see the diffenrence of fabric with the pants one?
Where can I get the buttons and/or flashes?

Luk007 said:
Are you're thinking about ordering from them? http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-customizable-us-navy-service-dress-white-military-uniform-5291.aspx
As mentionned in a previous post, the US high collar is 100% polyester while the Canadian is 75% with 25% wool. Can we see the diffenrence of fabric with the pants one?

You can get buttons and flashes from supply - they use the same buttons as the RCN DEU and the flashes are the same as the officer's short-sleeve shirt.

Luk007 said:

So, what's your advice?  Should I order it from US? Please give me inputs about my questions. 

Luk007 said:
So, what's your advice?  Should I order it from US? Please give me inputs about my questions.

The USN tunics aren't exactly the same but they're cheaper than getting the ones made.  You'll just need to get USN pants, which no one will notice.  As I said, buttons and flashes are super easy to get.

Back