• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Reserve BOTC

30 for 30

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me...

1. At what point does a Nav Res NCdt get commissioned? I understand that in the regular force it is after BOTC, but that this is possibly not the case in the reserves.

2. Does Naval Reserve BOTC ever start as early as May?

Found some good info with a search, but not sure about these two questions. Thanks for any assistance.

Possible answer to your 2nd question.

This year IAP starts April/30. Continues for 6 or 7 weeks (I cannot remember the exact duration at the moment). Then BOTC starts.

I believe the combination of IAP and BOTC is commonly refered to as BOTC.

I am sure someone more qualified than me could answer #1 for you.

The Basic Officer Training Course (BOTC) is made up of two courses: Initial Assessment Period (IAP) and Basic Officer Training Period (BOTP). I think it always starts very late April or the first few days of May. The whole thing was 10.5 weeks when I did it, I think the Reg Force Course takes 14 weeks. Both courses cover the same material, but the the NAVRES version compresses the same material into a shorter time. There was talk of lengthening the course this year, I do not know if they have done that, but your unit should have course scheduling available by now.

When a NCdt gets commissioned depends on the entry plan: if you have a degree, you would be DEO, and are an A/SLt at the end of BOTC, probably retroactive to the date you joined (keep that tidbit in mind for pay purposes, by the way... if you are DEO, your joining paperwork probably has you joining as a NCdt, promoted to A/SLt the same day, but you are not paid at A/SLt or permitted to wear the rank until you pass basic... then you get the difference in pay retroactive to when you joined, in one lump). If you are working on a degree, you are probably RESO, and once finished basic, you stay a Naval Cadet until the earlier of when you are MOC qualified or you finish your degree. Possibly you might get your commission after MARS III, but I am DEO so I never looked into that.

I won't get my SLt's until I have MARS IV, which is why I wonder if maybe you get your A/SLt after MARS III, or maybe get commissioned as a SLt when done MARS IV. I'm not sure how getting the degree plays in at this point. Anyone else know for sure?

Hello KP,

1. Us NavRes NCdts get our commission either after finishing MARS III or, as Chummy said, after BOTC if you've already earned your degree. We have to successfully complete our consolidation phase after MARS IV (usually 4 weeks) to get our S/Lt.

2. NavRes BOTC (which is the common name for it; usually refers to IAP and BOTP together) starts first week of May because you have to do the first portion of NETP-O that summer as well (if the system hasn't changed since last year).

Hope that helps.

MissHardie

Thanks very much for all of your replies, very helpful.

I should be sworn in very soon after a 3+ year wait, but I have unfortunately been told that it is unlikely I will get on this summer's Navres BOTC because the intake is full. I was told there are winter BOTC courses, though. I know regular force DEOs start in September and January, but I am unaware of any sort of reserve BOTC in the winter months. Does this mean reserve DEOs like myself are able to do regular force DEO in the winter months? If so is it a rare opportunity, or a likely situation in my case? It would be rough if I had to wait until summer 2007 to do basic training.

As for summer of 2006, does anyone know if there are any full time work opportunities for NCdts at divisions or elsewhere, doing any sort basic admin work? Thanks again.

There is no NAVRES BOTC in the winter. You would be going to St. Jean. People in my unit have been on the reg force course as recently as last year, so it is presumably still possible. Whether you can go on the course will depend on the space available. Your unit will only know about available space when the message is sent from on high. Make sure you have an up to date AVREP (Availability Report) in and ensure your divisional system is aware of your intentions, and working to get you loaded on the course you want.  Sometimes there are openings on relatively short notice, if you can make yourself available to leave realtively quickly. You might even get on the summer BOTC in Esquimalt, but best not to get your hopes up too much. "Max Flex" is a term you will soon become very familiar with.

As for basic admin jobs, possibly, but unlikely. Until you have basic, you literally have nothing. Even NCdt's with basic (and A/Slt's for that matter) are unlikely to get steady alternative work unless perhaps they already have a needed skill from civi side. Sometimes odd jobs  need doing at the unit, and jobs like painting or moving something may come up from time to time. No harm asking, maybe your unit is desperate for clerical help. Things tend to wind down a lot over the summer at the unit level, though. I can't imagine you being able to get any temp work away without having at least basic. There are constant messages issued with Class B opportunities for people with their MOC training, though.

My advice is to try to get on summer BOTC, have an AVREP in for fall BOTC, be prepared to go on short notice, and have something else lined up for the summer (and assume you may be class A in the fall also).

Good luck getting into the Reg force Basic.  DH has been waiting since last August to be loaded onto a basic course and will be leaving this summer, keep trying to get into the one this summer, otherwise prepare to wait until next.  Reservists are put at the end of the list Reg. Force members are put at the top, so the only way that reserve members would go would be if the course were to be empty, then they look at who is waiting and how long they have been waiting. 
GoodLuck!!
pC

Back