• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Weapons Tech

Varps

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello to all.

I'm new to this forum and I have picked up many tips so far. Thanks, it seems pretty awesome.

I'm in the process of getting some pre requisite classes to enlist as a naval weapons tech. I'm doing math 436 and physics at the moment, I'll be done in december and my application will be handed in early january.

I'm aware that NW TECH is in demand, so I figure it shouldn't take too long for my paper work to go through and I start BMQ....hopefully.

Upon completion of BMQ, I'll be going to Esquimault for fleet school....yada yada yada...

Now, my questions are: What kind of wait should I anticipate after fleet school is completed before I get shipped out to Labrador (or Newfoundland) to start my course? If I am to wait for a few months before classes start, do you think I'll be "waiting" in BC, or on the east coast? What are possible things (apart from PT) that I could be doing for the Forces during that time?

My CFRC hasn't gotten back to me about this kind of info, and all the personnel there are army. My recruiter has just told me that all I need is the academic pre requisites along side being physically able (which I am) fill out some paper work and I'm off to subsidized schooling. They have been of great help none the less.

Thank you all in advance for serving our country. I can't wait to get this ball rolling.

James

Varps said:
If I am to wait for a few months before classes start, do you think I'll be "waiting" in BC, or on the east coast? What are possible things (apart from PT) that I could be doing for the Forces during that time?

From reading through other posts, there appears to only be one NWT course per year.  There is at least one NWT here on the boards that I know of, and I will be sure to pass the link from this thread to him in case he misses it.

For anyone that will be or is, posted to sea, you are also required to do a course called NETP.  This is your sea phase course where you learn, among other things, damage control (fire and flood) training and basic seamanship.  If you do a search on the boards here, you will find lots of information.  It used to be called OSQAB, so that will pop up in the search too.  Sometimes you will be put on this course first if you are sitting around for awhile waiting for your 3's.

You might find in your search for NETP a thread about NEIP.  Give that one a read too, as it is possible that you will be attending that if you are out west.

The above is all good information to have.  But my advice is to read through it all and then stick it in a back corner of your mind.  Right now you need to concentrate on your application and getting accepted. Good luck!

I was going to the same school at CFNES here in Halifax with the NWT's...............  You will definately be here on the East coast, and you will be on PAT platoon while you wait for your course to start in September...........it only runs once a year.  I was unaware that they offer the NW course in Newfoundland as well. 
  Expect to be in a schooling environment for 2 years .....1 year for academics, 1 year on your equipment phase. 
  WHile you are on PAT platoon.......you will either be doing things like going up to accomadations and doing dirty linen, painting....moving furniture...etc etc.......or if you are lucky, you can be asked to be attatch posted to a ship...where you can go down and get a feel for the real navy while you wait for your course to start.  If you're even luckier you may even get your NETP course done.............so that if you do get attatch posted to a ship, you can sail with them while you await course.
  A buddy of mine who failed first semester of NWT training over a year ago, was attach posted to the Fredricton while he waited a whole year for the next course to start.............he got to go down to Bermuda and all those good places instead of hanging around on PAT!!!
  Cheers and if you have anymore ??'s let me know
C.O.D. :cdn:

The information you've provided is not accurate wrt the NW Tech trade.  After BMQ you would be sent for academic training in Halifax or Memorial university in Nfld.  This depends on whether you enrol though the NCSTTP or decide to come straight in.  If you are comfortable with your academic background I would suggest that you go NCSTTP as it will benefit you financially in the end.  I would suggest that you verify your information with a recruiter as soon as you can, before you make any decisions.

Good luck

c2nwt said:
The information you've provided is not accurate wrt the NW Tech trade.  After BMQ you would be sent for academic training in Halifax or Memorial university in Nfld.  This depends on whether you enrol though the NCSTTP or decide to come straight in.  If you are comfortable with your academic background I would suggest that you go NCSTTP as it will benefit you financially in the end.   I would suggest that you verify your information with a recruiter as soon as you can, before you make any decisions.

Good luck

Thank you c2nwt.

I will definitely do my very best to get into the NCSTTP.

I am completing the pre requisite courses at the moment (math 436 and physics 534) and have all the rest of my grade 12 classes, plus 27 college credits from a sound engineering program I graduated last year. I have very good grades all over my transcripts from high school and college (90% average in most cases) and I'm doing quite well in my current classes.

I have read that the first year of my course will be academics, mostly. What levels of math/physics are taught? Since the pre req classes are math 436 and physics 534, I would expect them to start from there...

Any further info is always appreciated. Thank you all already.
Cheers!

I just spoke to my recruiter.

They'll be going through applications in february '08. Only applicants with the best grades will be considered for this trade and the NCSTTP. If accepted (man, I hate the word IF...) My BMQ will be scheduled as best as possible to allow me to start courses in Nflnd with a minimal waiting period.

I can't wait.

Yes, if you can go though the Newfoundland course, do so.....You get your Leading Seaman rank after 2 years and the pay to go with it , instead of 4 years!!!

Varps said:
I just spoke to my recruiter.

They'll be going through applications in February '08. Only applicants with the best grades will be considered for this trade and the NCSTTP. If accepted (man, I hate the word IF...) My BMQ will be scheduled as best as possible to allow me to start courses in Nflnd with a minimal waiting period.

I can't wait.

While the NW Tech trade is not a distressed trade like the NETs, we are still actively recruiting.  If you don't get selected for NCSTTP, there should be no problem coming in as a QL3.

c2nwt said:
While the NW Tech trade is not a distressed trade like the NETs, we are still actively recruiting.  If you don't get selected for NCSTTP, there should be no problem coming in as a QL3.

Thanks for the replys c2nwt.

Does getting in as a QL3 mean getting equivalent qualifications outside the military? As in getting an electro-mechanical engineering tech certificate on my own? This is a route that I was not quite aware of.

Thanks.

If you plan on going to nfld for your training you will be going to the Marine istitute in st johns from jan08-jan2010. If you have any questions about it send me a email...im in my 3rd semest here and NWT and know all youd be doing. glad to help if you want cause i used this for same thing a year ago

Although amusingly, the .50's show up in CMISS for the NWT's......... :-\  Gotta love CMISS....

NS

I realized that Boatswains maintained the small arms just as the infantry would for example.  But when unusual maintenance is required the infantry would send the weapons to a weapons tech (land).  So I was wondering if the small arms on a ship would be sent to a weapons tech (land) or to a NW tech.

winnipegoo7 said:
I realized that Boatswains maintained the small arms just as the infantry would for example.  But when unusual maintenance is required the infantry would send the weapons to a weapons tech (land).  So I was wondering if the small arms on a ship would be sent to a weapons tech (land) or to a NW tech.

NW Tech's do not do any work on small arms, they all go ashore for the land weapons techs to look at. :)

NW Tech is a good trade if you are willing to make the most with the least :)

Every ship I ever sailed on was undermanned but the camaraderie in the weapons branch was always next to none! Have a great career.

NavyGunnerRTD said:
NW Tech's do not do any work on small arms, they all go ashore for the land weapons techs to look at. :)

NW Tech is a good trade if you are willing to make the most with the least :)

Every ship I ever sailed on was undermanned but the camaraderie in the weapons branch was always next to none! Have a great career.

Jeez man....I hope you meant second to none...!!

to the former 'c2nwt': congrats on the promotion and the new position!  :D

(NW Tech CM, if you could please correct me, or add any additional information if this has changed...)  One of the other postions that is sometimes filled by an NWT is the tech position on the MCDVs.  There is one ET and one Tech on each ship.  This tech position has been filled by any of the NET types or an NWT.  It is typically a 2-3 year position, and you will be working out of trade.  You maintain the electronics onboard (this can be a broad spectrum depending on any payloads that the ship may have) and are usually the RadhazO, on top of many other secondary duties.  This is a position for a MS, and it is very rarely that they don't leave the ship with their PO2s.  Lots of hard work, often busy & long sailing schedule, but you have lots of time to shine.

airmich said:
to the former 'c2nwt': congrats on the promotion and the new position!  :D

(NW Tech CM, if you could please correct me, or add any additional information if this has changed...)  One of the other postions that is sometimes filled by an NWT is the tech position on the MCDVs.  There is one ET and one Tech on each ship.  This tech position has been filled by any of the NET types or an NWT.  It is typically a 2-3 year position, and you will be working out of trade.  You maintain the electronics onboard (this can be a broad spectrum depending on any payloads that the ship may have) and are usually the RadhazO, on top of many other secondary duties.  This is a position for a MS, and it is very rarely that they don't leave the ship with their PO2s.  Lots of hard work, often busy & long sailing schedule, but you have lots of time to shine.

Airmich:  VMT on the congrats.  You have covered the MCDV CS (Combat Systems) position very well.  On average, the technicians posted to the MCDV's are happy being there.  The PER's from these units are generally very good and reflect the added responsibilities given to the position.  There is a lot of sea time.

nwTechy said:
Was I misinformed

No. Your grades may very well be suffecient to get into this trade but that doesnt not mean you will get it. Like everything else, its a competitive process. If other applicants have better files than you do, they may get offers and you may not.

Back