• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Reserve and Officer Training

Jack Straw

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a 32 year old, male from Ontario and I am currently exporing the oppourtunity to join the Navy Reserves. I have successfully complete my BA in Poltical Science and have limited cadet training in both the UK and Canada.  I am in charge of a manufacturing division for an American company located in Beamsville, ON. However, I feel that I should give back to the community and it was recommended to me that I look at the navy reserves.

I don't want to leave/lose my current job and was under the impression that I could work as little as 3 hours a week and one weekend a month.I was also told that I would likely be considered as a DEO due to my education. During my research, I have read that DEO must spend 14 weeks away for training. How does this work for someone who is currently employeed full time and is not looking for a full carear in the Navy?

Thanks,

Jack

I admire your desire to give back to your community but it doesn't work that way.  You cannot join the reserves and not take the training required to qualify you for your position.  Suggest you find a local navy, army, air force cadet league and volunteer as a Civilian Instructor.  There are many other ways to give back to your community through volunteering at local senior homes, food banks, community centres, etc.  Good Luck.

There's also another option.  DEO (and officer trades in general) are just one part of the Naval Reserve.  Training for NCM trades may be shorter than for officers, so that may work in your favour.  However, remember that the NAVRES course schedule is focused for post-secondary students needing cash for the entire summer, so the course dates are adjusted accordingly.  Best thing to do is ask your local unit recruiter.  Hope that helps.

kincanucks said:
Suggest you find a local navy, army, air force cadet league and volunteer as a Civilian Instructor.

Seconded, and I would add that, if you enjoy it, you can look at enroling in the Forces as a Cadet Instructor Cadre officer, which is a reserve occupation.  Much of the training in this occupation can be had on weekends, and if you have any kind of reasonable vacation entitlement it's likely that you can fit the rest into that.

If you think that's something you might be interested in, let me know where you're living.  I can give you an e-mail address for any cadet unit in the country.

N. McKay said:
Seconded, and I would add that, if you enjoy it, you can look at enroling in the Forces as a Cadet Instructor Cadre officer, which is a reserve occupation.  Much of the training in this occupation can be had on weekends, and if you have any kind of reasonable vacation entitlement it's likely that you can fit the rest into that.

If you think that's something you might be interested in, let me know where you're living.  I can give you an e-mail address for any cadet unit in the country.

I concur. Give that a try and if you like it and have great HR skills then become an officer in PRes. NAVRES always needs competent Log Officers!

Back