What a garbage opinion piece/write in column. Did they do any kind of quality control before publish this bit of rubbish?
I don't know if any of you know Chief (ret'd) George Ferrall, but let me summarize the ways he's missed the boat:
1. He skips over the "Leading" twice when listing out ranks;
2. He got the new ranks COMPLETELY wrong;
3. He seems to relish the bygone days of sailors living under the poverty line;
4. He doesn't know the origin and meaning of the term "petty" in Petty Officer; and
5. He seems to think we should be living and working in such a way that honours the memory and personal opinions of Nelson.
What a hack. Thankfully, I don't anyone really saw this column.
Ranks of officers and non-commissioned members
21 (1) For the purposes of this Act, the ranks of the officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces shall be as set out in the schedule.
(2) A person holding a rank set out in the schedule shall use, or be referred to by, a designation of rank prescribed in regulations made by the Governor in Council but only in the circumstances prescribed in those regulations.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-5, s. 21; R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 60; 2014, c. 20, s. 169