• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy whites

If you spent much time out in Vic, you could most likely navigate there with your eyes closed. Am I right?

M Feetham said:
If you spent much time out in Vic, you could most likely navigate there with your eyes closed. Am I right?

2 tours in Victoria....77-81 (as a MARSS), 96-01 (as a Chap)...actually never did go there as I had relatives and friends in Vancouver who always invited me out with them....but I heard a lot of stories... ;D

It's too bad that the army regiments don't have the same deal with patrol blues as the navy has with its' whites.  I would have seriously considered purchasing blues if I could.

Agreed Ranger Ray. One of the things I seriously wanted to own was the Patrols. I liked the look of the uniform, it was sharp, professional and something that could be worn to formal events that require something spiffy, but not THAT spiffy as to break out Mess Dress.

We seriously need to change some things in the Dress regs. I mean come on! I'm sure we can lose some of the things from the past, but Patrol Blues and Regimental Dress should NOT be abandoned.

My one and only story about whites.

I have spent a career doing my damdest to not wear my whites. In 2005 the Toronto did a PR tour of the Great Lakes and in keeping with that theme our dress for ashore until 1600 each day was Whites. Needless to say I spent a lot of time on board until 1600 each day. When we got to Cleveland I was only going to get one day ashore due to Duty Watches. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gave the ship's company free admission. I gave in a put on my Whites for the second time in 15 years. It had not rained in Cleveland for days. As we walked from the ship to the Hall (you could throw a rock from the ship and hit the Hall) I managed to find the only mud puddle for miles. :brickwall:

I can understand your aversion. I've been in Halifax for 3 years and managed to not wear them at all. It's a very impractical uniform to try and keep clean.

I don't mind wearing the whites and with today's point system it is no longer a financial burden to replace them.  :crybaby:

Just one word of advice for all of you, keep a new white shirt with the white pants. Do not wear a white shirt that you have been wearing as part of your daily wardrobe. There is nothing worse than seeing an officer or NCM who is wearing his TWL's and the shirt is greyer than grey while the pants are a gleaming white. Almost as bad as the folks who wear the Canex black jacket with their whites. :-X

FSTO said:
Almost as bad as the folks who wear the Canex black jacket with their whites. :-X

Perhaps a suitable jacket should be created... say Canex white jackets?

*MedGrinch* said:
Perhaps a suitable jacket should be created... say Canex white jackets?

That would look terrible. My standard is this; if you have to wear a jacket then don't put on the TWL's.

Ex-Dragoon said:

How about we get a decent uniform for office work like the Americans have? They call them Utilities but they are Khaki, worn with a wedge cap (dixie cup for NCMS) or your peaked cap.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
How about we get a decent uniform for office work like the Americans have? They call them Utilities but they are Khaki, worn with a wedge cap (dixie cup for NCMS) or your peaked cap.
Our southern brethern have several uniform choices

whites;
Khaki or utilities;
and for northern climates - completly black - (with a black wedge or white peak cap or white dixie cup for the hands). I've seen them worn by the exchange officers-NCM's in Esquimalt and it looks very crisp and professional.

FSTO said:
That would look terrible. My standard is this; if you have to wear a jacket then don't put on the TWL's.

You know I said that with the utmost sarcasm right?

Ex-Dragoon said:

My sentiments exactly....

IN HOC SIGNO said:

A nice khaki work dress would be pretty nice eh? Especially for those who'll never need NCDs on a regular basis. Reservists for one... unless you're a Bos'n...  ;D

IN HOC SIGNO said:

We need an intermediate uniform that is between our NCDS and our DEUs. Khakis would work

I thought that some years ago ('70s, maybe '80s?) the navy experimented with some sort of work dress trousers plus golf shirts (with ships' crests?) as that "tween" dress, or some such thing. Did that happen or am I mixing it up with something else?

Heh... there was always that "texaco" bus driver work dress - lagoon shirt and basepall caps that everyone wore in the early 70s

For some reason or another I ended up reading up on the new US Navy uniforms, so I might as well chime in.  It looks like that they will be replacing the whole summer white/working khaki/winter blue (black) uniforms with:

a)  A "Navy Working Uniform" like our current combats for all ranks
b)  For officers/CPOs, a  "Dress Khaki" WWII-style suit (with shoulderboards, etc)
c)  For Enlisted pers, a "Service Uniform" to replace summer whites/winter blues.  Apparently it was between gray shirt/blouse and khaki shirt/blouse, and the khaki shirt won. 

Here's the link:
http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/picture-nsu.html

Just my opinion here, but do officers really need ANOTHER colour of uniform?  I wore whites maybe 3 times in 7 years...why/when would I need to wear a khaki uniform??

Dimsum said:
For some reason or another I ended up reading up on the new US Navy uniforms, so I might as well chime in.  It looks like that they will be replacing the whole summer white/working khaki/winter blue (black) uniforms with:

a)  A "Navy Working Uniform" like our current combats for all ranks
b)  For officers/CPOs, a  "Dress Khaki" WWII-style suit (with shoulderboards, etc)
c)  For Enlisted pers, a "Service Uniform" to replace summer whites/winter blues.  Apparently it was between gray shirt/blouse and khaki shirt/blouse, and the khaki shirt won. 

Here's the link:
http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/picture-nsu.html

Just my opinion here, but do officers really need ANOTHER colour of uniform?  I wore whites maybe 3 times in 7 years...why/when would I need to wear a khaki uniform??

Wow are they ever ugly!

Back