• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy whites

CallOfDuty said:
  I'll agree...laziness is a big part of it.  I can see how it would be frustrating that, in an office situation, as naval personnel, you are required to have your combats ironed...crease in the sleeves, creases in the pants and parade boots spit shined, while army or airforce people doing the same job only have to pull their clothes off the hangar and have the combat boots blackened. 
   So for navy pers., wearing combats is exactly the same as wearing Salt and peppers everyday.

I've only been in the navy almost 2 years now, but in my experiece, all the OS and LS that I know and have associated with in the school system, absoultely hates the navy NCD uniform, for various reasons. 

I personally find that unless you have a brand new set of NCD's, and are really good about your dress and deportment, most people tend to look sloppy in them. The shirts are always coming untucked, when the sleeves are rolled for summer dress, it's usually crappy lookiing, etc. etc.  Thats just my experience.

Cheers
COD :cdn:

NCDs are a very crappy looking uniform. Here is the solution, walking out dress is N3s or Civilian attire and firefighter type of coverall for wear while in a ship.

FSTO said:
NCDs are a very crappy looking uniform. Here is the solution, walking out dress is N3s or Civilian attire and firefighter type of coverall for wear while in a ship.

I like that. Coveralls... bought time we switch to something modern no?

[sarcasm] Yeah, coveralls will solve the laziness issue. [/sarcasm]

ModlrMike said:
[sarcasm] Yeah, coveralls will solve the laziness issue. [/sarcasm]

We were already told by the Fleet Chief and COMMARLANT that coveralls are not going to happen.

Why is that? Just wondering, because it seems many a Navy are switching to a coverall idea. Or even just a two piece 'flight suit' dealio. Why are we insisting on the spit and polish ideals in a WORK uniform. Isn't that one of the reasons why the Garrison Dress went the way of the DoDo?

I'm honestly curious here, not slinging mud.

MedTech said:
Why is that? Just wondering, because it seems many a Navy are switching to a coverall idea. Or even just a two piece 'flight suit' dealio. Why are we insisting on the spit and polish ideals in a WORK uniform. Isn't that one of the reasons why the Garrison Dress went the way of the DoDo?

I'm honestly curious here, not slinging mud.

I agree with you MedTech, there seems to be a mindset at the dress committee that you should be able to work on a ship all day crawling about the engine spaces or working with paint and grease and then be presentable to the public in the same uniform when you go home for the day. Coveralls work well for aircrew, firefighters, submariners and divers, why can they not work for ships company?

There were plenty of dinosaurs in the Army who fought the dumping of the Garrison dress & the shelving of daily use of DEUs by 99% of land forces.

Now, wearing CADPAT on the street appears quite natural & is well accepted by the public.

Do they appear "scruffy" after a hard day at work in the field?  Yeah! they do.... then again, if you're grimy & tired, you're more interested in heading home OR showering & changing into clean clothes.

The navy will come around in due course... just have to wait for the departure of a couple of dinosaurs is all.... :)

FSTO said:
I agree with you MedTech, there seems to be a mindset at the dress committee that you should be able to work on a ship all day crawling about the engine spaces or working with paint and grease and then be presentable to the public in the same uniform when you go home for the day. Coveralls work well for aircrew, firefighters, submariners and divers, why can they not work for ships company?

I hear you. I'm just really curious. We seem to want to present a good image to the public, and honestly, it's true that CADPAT is not hard to maintain, and it's effortless really to roll up the sleeves nicely because the material is much thicker then the nomex shirts. The same could not be said with NCDs. I just find the though of ironing NCDs a little weird too. I mean, doesn't ironing ruin the retardent properties of the nomex? I know there will be those who will argue that the way we launder them at home would ruin the retardency still... but I don't know... it all comes back to why iron work dress? The creases will disappear sooner then you can say "boo!" and then what? At the end of the day you're walking out in mused, sweat soaked, and dirty uniform. Not really helping the Naval image right?

BINGO!!

I'll never forget the day...I just arrived to the base and was on PAT platoon and spent the whole day long moving furniture and getting dirty etc etc.....a good hard days work.  Anyway at lunchtime we were going to Tim Hortons...and were all jacked up by a PO2 for our parade boots being scuffed, our shirts somewhat sweaty, and pants having some sawdust on them! 
  Just seemed to me like " heaven forbid your naval combat dress look like you actually worked hard in them!!!"

That would have been an easy fix though...you know you will be in the public eye. It takes seconds to brush off your pants and take a boot brush to your boots with a bit of polish. Only common sense...

I understand that now.....but as a brand new OS, we didn't know what to make of it at the time....
Cheers
COD :cdn:

MedTech said:
I just find the though of ironing NCDs a little weird too. I mean, doesn't ironing ruin the retardent properties of the nomex?

No, they can be safely ironed.

CallOfDuty said:
... all the OS and LS that I know and have associated with in the school system, absoultely hates the navy NCD uniform, for various reasons. 

But the AB's are all okay with it...  ;)

FSTO said:
Here is the solution, walking out dress is N3s or Civilian attire...

As I'm sure many will remember, this was how it used to be when we had the old style NCDs.  And the only way that you could wear civilian attire when leaving/entering base/ship, was to have a sports chit and you had better be running or riding a bike!

airmich said:
But the AB's are all okay with it...  ;)

As I'm sure many will remember, this was how it used to be when we had the old style NCDs.  And the only way that you could wear civilian attire when leaving/entering base/ship, was to have a sports chit and you had better be running or riding a bike!

I guess it will all be a moot point in a couple of years. Apparently in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy, we will have to wear salt and peppers as the walking out rig or full riggers. The implementation will be a number of months before the anniversary.

Stoker said:
I guess it will all be a moot point in a couple of years. Apparently in conjunction with the 10th anniversary of the Canadian Navy, we will have to wear salt and peppers as the walking out rig or full riggers. The implementation will be a number of months before the anniversary.

You missed a zero....that would be the 100th anniversary. Why don't we go back to square rig for the whole year?? ha ha.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
You missed a zero....that would be the 100th anniversary. Why don't we go back to square rig for the whole year?? ha ha.

LOL bring back the different ratings and buttons on the DEUs too ;D

MedTech said:
LOL bring back the different ratings and buttons on the DEUs too ;D

I could go for that. 8 buttons for the officers and 6 for the NCM's. Might as well bring in the updated square rig for the MS and below  while we are at it. :threat:

FSTO said:
I could go for that. 8 buttons for the officers and 6 for the NCM's. Might as well bring in the updated square rig for the MS and below  while we are at it. :threat:

Hehehe, I always thought the 8 button tunic looked more dapper then the 6... but I guess that's just me ;D

MedTech said:
Hehehe, I always thought the 8 button tunic looked more dapper then the 6... but I guess that's just me ;D

You got my vote. ;D

FSTO said:

While I also agree with the 8 buttons for the officers bit, how many MS and below would really want to go back to square rig?  I could see a huge OT backlog based on uniforms alone!

Back