• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Will Have to Learn to Fight Terrorists and Pirates:-Admiral Drew Robertson

citizens arrest tangent aside, let me assure Shad that, in the unlikely event of piracy in Canadian waters, the Navy most certainly does have the jurisdiction and authority to act.  And that is about as far as I will go on that...

And although small in numbers, the Navy has been present in "Outside the wire" jobs since ROTO 1. They have made up the bulk of certain teams, supported by Echo C/S. I know of five different "Outside the Wire" teams that Navy folks have assisted in. We are only a small % over there, and, as you have read, most do not even realize we are there; but we are.
I have my name in for my 2nd ROTO right now. I have a new found respect for the Army thou, they know how to "Rough it."
I hate BAT tents! lol ...Chimo,

I found the discussion about ROE and the Navy's role inside territorial water interesting, but missing one serious aspect.

During any scenario with the navy providing force protection and security for an event, there is most likely a Memorandom of understanding between RCMP, Solicitor General and the CF. In this MOU these organisations request support from the CF. This would fall into the category of Aid to Civil Power. In this situation CF members can be granted the status of Peace Officers.

As for the Piracy question; I don't want to discuss standing ROE specifically, but this isn't the first time people have asked that question. However, the UN Convention On the Law of the Sea has provisions that allows any warship to take action against pirates or slave traders.

mcdvnav said:
In this situation CF members can be granted the status of Peace Officers. 

While possible, its usually not probable.  CF members can pave the way, but the LEO's like to make their own arrests within Canadian boundaries...

Back