• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need help!!

NRobichaud

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I attempted the search function and it just seems to throw me around to a bunch of jumbled stuff I don't understand.

I'm trying to get into Artillery Reserves in Gaetown, does anyone here know wat the training is like? how often you go, how long it takes etc.

I'm planning on transfering to reg force years down the road, but use the reserves as a way in so I can still work a part time job at home and make more money.

I've already done over half the reg force bmq at cflrs but had to return home because of the recent pay cuts I couldn't afford to provide for my family at home off what I was making there, returning was the hardest decision I had to make, but I'm looking to get back into the forces asap.

Any help or knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

Three things:

1.  There is no Artillery RESERVE unit in Gaetown. (GAGETOWN).

2.  What "Paycuts"?

3.  If you didn't plan ahead for Reg Force BMQ and the opportunities on graduation to receive pay raises, the Reserves will not even match those payscales.  You don't seem to have planned this through at all, nor it appears, asked advice while at CFLRS.

My capt. at cflrs informed me of reserve in artillery in Gagetown, but I'll assume he was misinformed. And by paycuts I originally was voided of paying rations and quarters because of my fiance and children at home, but as of feb 1st everyone is required to pay them, plus they removed the sep. pay.
So I went from over $1000 per pay to about $620, which doesn't come close to paying my bills at home.

And I am aware of the financial security/stability once bmq is over, but that doesn't get me very far if my family currently has no food or no electricity or now home, because something needs to be cut to get by.

So I was informed at CFLRS my best bet would be to return home, go back to my old job and do reserves on the weekend. By the time my bmq/training would be done I can transfer over to Reg force with my corporals. I planned as much as I could but I am not from a military family and have limited military knowledge, I go based on what the CFRC staff and CFLRS staff advise I should do. And most of my own knowledge comes from the information I receive from this website.

Assuming you're decently informed on what Gagetown has to offer, do you know what they have for Reserve Units?

I just googled Army Reserve Units in New Brunswick and it brought me to this Brigade website
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/37cbg_hq/units-unites/index-eng.asp

I clicked on units and saw this Artillery unit(only one listed) as well as the other units in the Brigade
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/37cbg_hq/units-unites/3fd-eng.asp
3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA,
The Loyal Company
The Barrack Green Armoury
60 Broadview Ave
Saint John, NB 
E2L 5C5

Roby, I was posted to Gagetown for 11 years & retired after 24+regs out of there in 06 Freddy-town). Did 4 years of reserve on the lower north shore of Quebec in Sept-Iles until 010 & retired in the wife's hometown just outside Bathurst. The  closest reserve unit that I remember is in Fredericton, 1RNBR (Carelton & York regiment I believe) an infantry unit; there is possibly a reseve engineer unit that shares the armory with 1RNBR...but not quite sure on that. There are a hockey sock full of other reserve units all over NB - Saint John, Moncton, Miramichi, Bathurst, Edmunston, Grand Falls etc; the closest reseve artillery unit, I think is (or was) in Woodstock. Yes, you can only go by what you told in Saint Jean; technically, paying rats etc, & the elimination of separation allowance does not constitute a 'pay reduction' (tomatoe, tomato - still sucks), but I for one understand how this could be hardship for you, your fiance & children; especiallyAFTER you got to BMQ....hope this helps

Pro Patria & Militi Succerimus

If you couldn't make it work in Reg Force with full pay, how will you manage to do it on MAX 85% of that IF you land a full time position with the reserves?

If you REALLY want to be in the CF, you would have found a way to make it work. 

PLAN for your attendance at CFLRS Financially.  SAVE money before you go to use while your pay is lower there.

SentryMAn said:
If you couldn't make it work in Reg Force with full pay, how will you manage to do it on MAX 85% of that IF you land a full time position with the reserves?

If you REALLY want to be in the CF, you would have found a way to make it work. 

PLAN for your attendance at CFLRS Financially.  SAVE money before you go to use while your pay is lower there.

If you read his post you would know that he plans on having another job while in the reserves, some people work full time while also being a reservist, and obviously he wouldn't pursue a full time reserve position. The fact that he's looking at this as an option shows to me that he IS serious about trying to get a career in the CF.

Now to NRobichaud: I think the reserve route could very well accomplish what you're looking for, just don't think it will be a short cut, getting into the reserves can take just as long as getting into the regs. With that said once you enroll it will probably take 2-4 years before reaching your goal of CPL and getting a component transfer (a max of 4 yrs I believe for promotion to CPL, unless you're a tool or get charged for something serious), don't slack while at the reserve unit just because you may see it as a detour to your destination, work hard and earn that advanced promotion! I would also suggest you be up front with your potential reserve unit about your plans, as long as you are being a productive member of the unit your superiors will most likely do what they can to help, no one expects a reservist to serve 20 years, 2 - 4 is probably about average.

As for the artillery I think you may be out of luck unless you're willing to relocate. It looks like there is a engineer and infantry unit in the area though. Those could be other options if it's the combat arms that you want.

Thanks a lot for the help!! I jsent my new application in today with Artillery, Infantry and Combat Eng. as my 3 choices. I was spoiled when i originally applied, it took no longer than 5 weeks from the day I wrote my CFAT to the day I arrived at CFLRS. I'm expecting it to take a while longer this time around. The 4-5 years until Cpl timeframe is exactly what I was expecting as well, by then both my daughters will be older and understand why I would be away if on training or deployment.

A career in the CF is what I've always wanted, and as I previously mentioned, leaving CFLRS was a huge decision to make, I rather enjoyed the training and brought back with me documentation stating how well I was doing, so I'm hoping that will help out my application process.

and to Motard; Thanks for the approx. timeframes and the tips! i do not plan on slacking off whatsoever and will give it everything i can. The fact that it's not an everyday thing as opposed to CFLRS should make it that much easier to give 110% I believe!

Thanks again everyone

when you see Shelly at medical section CFRC Fredericton, tell her I said 'WASSUP'! She replaced me after I pulled the plug there...

Sgt (ret) 'gerry'

good luck with everything , hope it will work out the way you want ! there is no bad ways to get in the CF , only different ones !!!

Back