• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need some help...looking for a Laptop

Unless you're gaming or running CAD programs, you don't need all the bells, whistles and high end power. You need a good used Pentium 3. That will work great for surfing, watching DVDs and word processing, and only cost you a few hundred bucks. Laptops depreciate faster than 4 wheel drive SUVs. Spend 1,500.00 today, two months form now it's worth 900, by next year it's worth 500. And you're still not doing anymore with it than you would be doing with the P3 that you paid 300.00 for. Oh, and you can load it with XP or even W2K, and not get stuck with the memory hogging, reporting back to MS, buggy piece of shyte Vista. 80g HD and 512 Ram is all you need for day to day, including wireless. Save your cash, unless you put bling above utilitarian function.

MedTechStudent said:
You need to pay a technician to take Vista off your laptop, and put XP on.  The process is apparently pretty easy but they get to charge the big bucks for it cause its a "tech service" job.  XP costs about 250, then paying the Tech to install it costs around another 250.  I know because I wanted XP on my old HP laptop but said "oh hell no" when they told me it was going to be that much.

We don't all have a sweet grill to bribe people with.  :)

Don't let any of the dealers bullshit you. When you buy that computer with Office, etc, you own the license for the ALL the software on the machine, including the OS. Tell them you want the system and recovery CDs as well as the programs or they can pound the sale. Download the drivers for your computer from the manufacturer and save them to CD. Wipe the drive, install whatever you want for an operating system and reinstall your programs. Take a rainy afternoon and save yourself 500 bucks. You're only paying some geek to play games on a shop computer while he changes CDs in yours.

Ya, see I knew there was a way to do it yourself.  But am just far to computer- stupid to do it.

MedTechStudent said:
Ya, see I knew there was a way to do it yourself.  But am just far to computer- stupid to do it.

If you can install a game, you can install an OS and all your other programs.

Better yet, send it to me  ;), and I'll do it for 450 and won't play games while I'm doing it ;D

Well I'm on a vista computer now, and it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be for me ;)

Opens up a lot more options now for me.

-Dead

minor point but it may be helpful

Vista packaged with OEM (HP etc) builds comes with downgrade rights.
Yes, microsoft hates you doing this but you are licenced to load XP on your notebook
and eventually go back to Vista

Not that anything is wrong with Vista (if you are careful & patch)

Read your licence agreement and dont let a retailer charge you tooooo much cash

Well folks, I'm getting a Toshiba in about 3 weeks when I'm in Gander.

Cheers
Dead

Step 1 to making Vista not crap)  Turn off UAC.

Kyle Burrows said:
Step 1 to making Vista not crap)  Turn off UAC.

Step two, get a functioning service pack 1 installed and rebooted without hangs hiccups or strange behaviour. After that your pretty much set. My Vista box is pretty much a rock and has been solid for about 3 months crash or hiccup free. Just wish i could get a Direct input fix for racing wheel to work properly, and a fully functioning DOS box within the kernel that accepts and runs fullscreen with cdrom and sound support native.

Cheers.

well for a novice user, a mac is alright. I don't like them personally because if you do know what you are doing, the lack of ability to change how the interface works is very difficult compared to windows where I can do many changes in seconds.  Also the lies in their marketing campaign and the self righteous cult they spawn irritates me.

In my opinion Macs are to PCs as a boom box is to a home theater reciever. The boom box is easy to use, set up but has few options to modify it's output and is not expandable it does the most common audio tasks only and does them well. A home theater is more complex requires a little tinkering but is adaptable to almost all sound situations, for the true audiophile the two cannot be compared, however to someone who just wants to listen to a cd the hometheater may be too much effort.

I'm not a fan of Dell, though they make a decent machine they are underpowered for what you are paying. HP was a good name, though I had several issues with drivers being pushed via their updater that didn't work and I'd have to keep clicking cancel.

I thought that my laptop was running slower than it should with Vista so I installed XP onto it and didn't notice much of a change in speed, though I enjoyed not having to deal with the crap that HP puts on their machines (HP security agent, HP Button Manager, HP Update Manager, HP Speed Optimizer, HP Kitchen sink in memory) though unless you install your OS from scratch instead of using the recovery CDs it doesn't matter what vender you buy from as they all add their own crap that clogs up memory.

vista is suffering from the same problem as XP when it was released, people are running it on machines not powerful enough to run it, and venders are pushing buggy drivers and buggy 3rd party software onto it requiring even more power to run well. in a year when hardware catches up with the new demand and programmers figure out Vistas behaviour you'll see vista take off.

UAC is annoying and you can turn it off, you can also change the warning level down so it only asks at high risk actions instead of all actions which is what I do. I like this better than Unix/Linux/Mac OS variants because in those you have to SU into the administrative role while Vista asks if you want to do whatever you've asked it to do, then temporarilly puts you into the admin position then removes you when the task is complete automatically. While it's annoying because this wasn't in other versions of windows, it is elegant compared to how other OS achieve the same thing.

If you need computer work done, try to find a friend who's good at it and will trade something for their services (money, beer, chores whatever) just don't expect them to do it for nothing. And don't blame them if your computer gets all crudded up within a month afterwards if you install every toolbar, freeware crap and filesharing program that comes your way. You don't need a smiley tool bar etc, those things are usually spyware in disguise.

Don't use any of the geek services in any of the big box stores, most of them have no certifications and are charging outlandish rates. ie 80 bucks for a spyware fix - they install one of the free utilities, clean your system up, remove the utility then charge you 80 dollars. you could have bought a top of the line computer security suite for less and would keep you from being reinfected in the future.

If you don't have anti virus/spyware installed I advise you to get AVG Free. It's free for private use and it's updated daily. It's what I use, I even paid the 29 dollars to upgrade to the proffesional version. Well worth it in my opinion.

I recommend not buying a laptop from Canex, not because they are bad machines, but because Canex does not have the infrastructure to support you after you purchase and will refer you to the manufacturer which expects you to take the laptop to the vender if there is a problem in the first 30 days.

Personnaly my laptop is an HP right now. Had an acer and didn't really enjoy the experience.

Bought my laptop for 800 bucks (It's the DV2000 BTW)

Also for quick computer fixes I suggest www.bleepingcomputer.com. They have alot of usefull information and alot of people that can help you with your computer needs all free.

Some practical information from someone who's been using a laptop full-time for the last three years:

- While light and easy to carry, they still require more cleaning and maintenance than a regular PC.  
- Highly vulnerable to spills - on a PC you can replace your keyboard, on a laptop it drains right through to the motherboard.
- Broken keys are harder to replace - you cant just go out and buy a new keyboard.
- The left and right keys on a laptop wear out quickly with high use - a usb mouse is not an option but a necessity.
- Being smaller, your laptop heats up more quickly than a regular PC and has a harder time cooling down - once it gets too hot you will get erratic behaviour like stuck keys and even the occasional auto-shutdown.
- Very few places specialize in full laptop interior cleaning, and buy the time you pay for a full cleaning you might as well buy a completely new system, unless you have the skill and experience to take your own system apart and hand-clean it.
- To get full usefullness of your system, ensure it has a good system for picking up wireless signals automatically, it helps a lot when travelling and staying at hotels or doing work while at libraries or restaurants.
- In addition to your regular power converter, its worthwhile to invest in a converter that works off of a car lighter, it lets you recharge when working in remote areas.  
- Other mandatory equipment includes your earpieces and printer usb cord.
- Make sure the carry bag you buy for your laptop has room for all the accessories as well as your working papers.  
- The simplest method for backing up your system is debatable, but an external usb hard drive is the most practical in terms of time and money so far.

Grrrr.... Win VISTA Service pack 1.....
The system has tried to install 4 times - problem is that, once the system is updated,  I can no longer connect to the internet - it doesn't recognize anything!!! 

VISTA hunk o junk!

geo said:
Grrrr.... Win VISTA Service pack 1.....
The system has tried to install 4 times - problem is that, once the system is updated,  I can no longer connect to the internet - it doesn't recognize anything!!! 

VISTA hunk o junk!

I found it easier to go format the drive and throw in my rescue disk leaving a freshly unharmed install of vista, then doing nothing but the autoupdate before trying to reinstall any other programs. For those who need to keep the data on the drive your best best IF you have the disks or the tools laying around would be to deltree the windows directory then do your re-install of vista then doing to autoupdater. Some of your programs may not run immediately after this method, but usually firing the executable reloads the registry strings and voila back in business. Once your past the sp1 headaches it's smooth sailing for the most part.

Cheers.

I have owned/worked on several different types of laptops int he past 10-15 years and agree that the Dell are SERIOUSLY overpriced pieces of kit.
I didn't have many problems with it, but by the time I added all the hardware that was "current" in other systems I paid over $5000 -
Same with Sony. I have a VAIO and it has been the least durable and hardest to repair due to the model's poor layout. (To replace the fan you must disassemble the entire internal structure, top and bottom).
Hubby has an ASUS - reasonably priced and survived afghanistan - well... all but the webcam. (Sent him an external one and all was well).
The HP's are ok - but flimsy - I feel like I could punch through the cover.
I had all but sworn off Toshiba's in the late 90's - but have been pleasantly suprised with the newer models. My father and brother in law each got one and have had no troubles.
Acer - overheated and died in less than 6 mos.
I don't personally like Mac's becuase I work with/on my PC too much.

I have owned 17'" models - nice screen, good for gaming, had numeric keypad built in (vice function activated keys) but: was heavy as hell, need larger case, and more room
15" models - decent screen - not too heavy, many case options available
13" - very portable, small screen, I don't mind it for movies, but a serious gamer might not like how small it is

I used to carry my laptop around all day - but now I carry my Nokia N810 Portable Internet Tablet. It's a little Linux Diablo OS2008  based hand held UMPC (no it's not a phone - but you can skype)  This little toy is not for novices though - it's hard to configure and I often spend a day running scripts to make certian document formats and things compatible.

I think it depends on the intended use -
If you want something to game on - you will want a larger screen and spend the extra $$ on graphics - not all laptop video cards can handle the newest game graphics. This is why we moved to game systems for gaming.
If you want something just to surf the net and take notes in class - $400 Eee PC or similar
If you want an all around average machine - there are many many out there.

Canada Computers ( http://www.canadacomputers.com/ ) sells XP still (last time I checked) and we always get great deals with TigerDirect.ca

muffin

Well, here I am, at my kitchen table, on my Toshiba :D

Thanks mom! ;)
Deadpan

I have accepted my offer to CMR and am going to buy a new laptop before I start.  I am looking at an Apple MacBook, would RMC or CMR be compatible with apple products.  Also I have read that there is a computer fair to help students buy laptops, does anyone know if Apple computers will be for sale?

Back