• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Album by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Called 'Spirit of the Glen: Journey'. Set for release 01 Dec 2008. It's a follow up to last years album Spirit of the Glen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/3402102/Scottish-pipers-record-album-while-serving-in-Iraq.html

Scottish pipers record album while serving in Iraq
Pipers from one of the country’s oldest regiments have recorded songs for their next hit album in 100 degree heat in Iraq where some of them are serving their country.

By Christopher Hope in Basra
Last Updated: 9:55PM GMT 07 Nov 2008

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards’ second album is the follow-up to last year’s Spirit of the Glen CD which sold 300,000 copies, outstripping the likes of 50 Cent, Bon Jovi, Elton John and The Stereophonics.

The troops, who signed a £1 million record deal last year, had hoped to record the new album – called Spirit of the Glen: Journey – in the UK.

However the short amount of time allowed for serving troops in the UK meant that a team from Universal Music had to record nearly a third of the album’s tracks in a tent at the British army’s base in Basra.

Part of the album was even recorded on one of the runways at the airport during the summer.

Pipe Major Ross Munro, 32, said: “The majority of the pipe band was over there so it was easier for us to go out. The experience was slightly surreal at times – a bit different from recording in a converted barn near Edinburgh.

“Due to the regiment being in 'ops’ we had to record some in theatre. It was not easy finding a sound proof room out here. And the heat – the air-con was not built for it. The heat affected the instruments quite a bit.”

The producers and technical staff from Universal were equipped with helmet and flak jacket in case they came under fire from rockets fired into the base by insurgents.

Jon Cohen, the record’s producer, said: “I have never made a record in the war zone before. I wore a bullet proof vest and a helmet here.

“You can’t get more than arms length from this because the base could come under rocket attack at any point.

“There were a few challenges here apart from the obvious fear. The heat hit us like a wall. It was well over 100 degrees in there and it was very hard to focus on work.

“It also affects the pipes. My hardware was operating well outside its range. I was worried the laptop was going to melt.

“The soldiers are all on operational duty. We had one soldier who recorded his bagpipes and then had to sling his rifle over his shoulder and go back to his duties, that created a recall intensity which was different to the usual intensity in a studio.”

Pipe Major Munro said he was often asked to play his pipes at the base to lift morale. He said: “It is the traditions behind it. The pipe band has always been a strong point in the regiment, it lifts the spirits and keeps morale going.

“It is a stirring sound. The bagpipe played correctly does get the hairs up on people’s necks. It is like Marmite – you either love it or you help it. Thankfully must people love it.”

Although the Scots DG lost several men in Iraq in recent times, not one of the regiment has been killed during the six month tour of duty, the third since 2003, which ends next month.

Twenty-six of the 400-strong Scots DG regiment are pipers. Major Angus Benson Blair, the regimental second in command, added: “Every time the regiment deploys the pipes and drums get put away, they bring them with them but they are soldiers.

“They will do foot patrols in the streets, talking to the locals, trying to work out the intelligence. If they come under attack they have to do what every soldier does which is pull the trigger.

“First and foremost they are tank soldiers and they are some of the best tank soldiers they are. They are the most down to earth, wonderful level headed guys.”

The pipers’ new album is released on Dec 1 and should raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for the regiment’s charities.

Last year’s album Spirit of the Glen reached number 13 in the UK pop charts and was number one in the Classical Charts for 14 weeks and was outselling Girls Aloud, The Spice Girls and Katie Melua in the week before Christmas.

It features modern songs like Take My Breath Away and Unchained Melody, as well as a first world war poem read by BBC presenter Jim Naughtie, a new composition by Karl Jenkins called In Flanders Fields.

Thanks for passing this on!

Cheers,

tango22a

Will pre-order soonest.

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards’ second album ???

What would that make my vintage vinyl disc "Farewell To The Greys" then?
[best recording of Amazing Grace ever]

Bruce:

I could say that makes it an antique, just like its owner....but I won't! Don't feel bad I have the album on cd and tape and I believe also on 33 1/3 record. I guess that it means we're fans.

Cheers,

tango22a

tango22a said:
Bruce:

I could say that makes it an antique, just like its owner....but I won't! Don't feel bad I have the album on cd and tape and I believe also on 33 1/3 record. I guess that it means we're fans.

Cheers,

tango22a

I have it in the basement with a bunch of other 8 tracks :blotto:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
What would that make my vintage vinyl disc "Farewell To The Greys" then?
[best recording of Amazing Grace ever]

While your vinyl copy of  "Farewell To The Greys" may be an antique, it's not drawing big prices on eBay (link to one for sale here).

Though the SCOTS DG rendition of Amazing Grace is great and well renowned, it may not be on that particular LP.  My copy is probably buried somewhere in the basement (I'm also still awaiting the return of 8-track) but the following is the album description from the item on eBay.

"FAREWELL TO THE GREYS" LP

RCA Records London INTS 1279 (1971) Camden Series.
THE PIPES AND DRUMS AND MILITARY BAND OF THE ROYAL SCOTS DRAGOON GUARDS

Side 1:
01. Fanfare
02. Trot & Canter
03. Marches
04. Cornet Carillon
05. Slow Air & Jigs
06. Scotland The Brave
07. Slow Air

Side 2:
01. Russian Imperial Anthem
02. Slow March & Walk
03. March, Strathspeys, Reels & March
04. Slow Air
05. Evening Hymn
06. Revaille
07. Quick Marches

Some of their other albums are noted here.
http://www2.army.mod.uk/scotsdg/pipes_and_drums/scots_dg_pipes_and_drum_music.htm

Drumming and piping from the frontline
A People In Defence news article. UK MoD, 12 Nov 08
Article link

Currently deployed to Iraq, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards have produced the first album ever recorded from the frontline of an operational theatre.

The new album, 'Spirit of the Glen: Journey', follows the amazing success of the pipers and drummers of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards first 'Spirit of the Glen' record which was a huge hit last Christmas, staying at No 1 in the classical charts for 14 weeks, reaching the pop top 20 and outselling acts such as Bon Jovi, 50 Cent and Elton John.

Universal Classics and Jazz, the record company behind Spirit of the Glen, came up with the solution to record the follow up album in Iraq when the Royal Scots' pipers and drummers, who are in fact part-time musicians and full-time soldiers, deployed to Basra for a six-month tour midway through the recording.

Universal Classics and Jazz (UCJ) is also the record label behind Katherine Jenkins, Jamie Cullum and Andrea Bocelli. The success of 'Spirit of the Glen' made the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards one of their best-selling acts of 2007 and, fearful that the new album wouldn't be finished in time for Christmas in an increasingly competitive market and with a multi-million pound insurance policy in place, record bosses overturned an initial ban on producer Jon Cohen and A&R (Artists and Repertoire) manager Tom Lewis from visiting Iraq.

Understanding that the pipers' main priority is to serve their country as soldiers with music taking a secondary place, UCJ took a mobile recording unit out to the British base in Basra.

In stark contrast to the commercial luxuries often associated with the music industry, 'Spirit of the Glen: Journey' was recorded in a tent in one of the hottest and most dangerous countries in the world. As well as the constant threat of rocket attack, the producer worked to prevent his recording gear overheating in the 50 degree heat. One piper even suffered heat stroke while recording.

After recording, the pipers went back to their crucial military jobs. As Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Felix Gedney explained:

"It's important for them not to forget that they are not a band for me. They're my tank gunner, my lorry driver, my signals operator. I see them very much as soldiers first."

Tom Lewis described how the experience made him appreciate what Service personnel are doing:

"We didn't appreciate what we'd let ourselves in for until we were flying in total darkness in a helmet and full body armour. I was terrified. I suddenly realised what our armed services do on a daily basis and it was humbling. This is an album people risked their lives to make. You really get a sense of the emotion and dedication within the music."

The new album, 'Spirit of the Glen: Journey', features 'Abide With Me', 'In Flanders Field' and 'Dawning of the Day', all recorded in Basra. In addition, the piper on 'Flowers of the Forest' was recorded at the end of the runway with the hum of Basra audible in the background, over which Jim Naughtie will read the poem 'For The Fallen'. And in a moment that evokes the Oscar-winning score of the film 'Atonement', 'Dear Lord and Father of Mankind' is sung by men from the regiment in Basra.

The album will be available to buy in shops and online sources from 1 December 2008.

Military piping originated in the eighteenth century both as a way of instilling confidence in troops for battle, and for recruiting new soldiers. The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards have served in all the major theatres of war during the past two centuries.

Blackadder1916 said:
While your vinyl copy of  "Farewell To The Greys" may be an antique, it's not drawing big prices on eBay (link to one for sale here).

Though the SCOTS DG rendition of Amazing Grace is great and well renowned, it may not be on that particular LP.  My copy is probably buried somewhere in the basement (I'm also still awaiting the return of 8-track) but the following is the album description from the item on eBay.

Some of their other albums are noted here.
http://www2.army.mod.uk/scotsdg/pipes_and_drums/scots_dg_pipes_and_drum_music.htm

I wonder if after it became a hit it was then put on this album because mine has it.

Back