• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New badges on Army Service Dress

Gorgo

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right conversation to post this in, but I just noticed this when I went on Facebook:  The people at the CADTC are now wearing what looks to me like the I Canadian Corps formation patch.  Is that authorized?

I'm going to make a big leap here and assume the Formation Sergeant-Major knows what is authorized and what is not authorized...

LOL!  Silly me!  ;D

I should have phrased that "When was it authorized?"

Haven't had enough coffee this morning . . .!

Fred Herriot said:
I'm not sure this is the right conversation to post this in, but I just noticed this when I went on Facebook:  The people at the CADTC are now wearing what looks to me like the I Canadian Corps formation patch.  Is that authorized?
Every present day static, institutional layer of HQ was given the identity of a war time field fighting formation when the Areas were renamed.  Don't be surprised if Army HQ starts wearing the two-colored patch of the First Canadian Army of the Second World War.

I think our uniforms need more gold braid and decorations.  There's still a chance that our personnel won't be mistaken for delusional third world despots.

gadaf100.jpg

main-qimg-1bce9230f9601b4d98add7fca6edba03

It started in the 1960s. One of our generals ~ slightly overweight, otherwise totally undistinguished ~ appeared, for a major ceremonial event, in the new CF "jolly green jumper." But he, along with everyone else, knew, in his heart of hearts, that a plain, subdued uniform, almost exactly like the one destined to be worn by the rank and file,  was really, really unmilitary. So he added gold ... lots of gold: gold stripes on the trouser legs, gold braid, in a fancy curlicue pattern, on the sleeves, above the existing broad gold stripe, and gold lace on the tail of his jacket, akin to something highlanders might have worn on more appropriate jackets, and the whole thing was set off with a gold sword belt!

Suffice to say we dubbed it the "instant dictator kit." I never saw anything quite like it again ... thankfully

E.R. Campbell said:
It started in the 1960s. One of our generals ~ slightly overweight, otherwise totally undistinguished ~ appeared, for a major ceremonial event, in the new CF "jolly green jumper." But he, along with everyone else, knew, in his heart of hearts, that a plain, subdued uniform, almost exactly like the one destined to be worn by the rank and file,  was really, really unmilitary. So he added gold ... lots of gold: gold stripes on the trouser legs, gold braid, in a fancy curlicue pattern, on the sleeves, above the existing broad gold stripe, and gold lace on the tail of his jacket, akin to something highlanders might have worn on more appropriate jackets, and the whole thing was set off with a gold sword belt!

Suffice to say we dubbed it the "instant dictator kit." I never saw anything quite like it again ... thankfully

And we had a CDS who in body shape, height and in uniform design looked like a Caucasian Idi Amin, although his decision making ability was only slightly, well maybe a bit more than that, autocratic.

dapaterson said:
I think our uniforms need more gold braid and decorations.  There's still a chance that our personnel won't be mistaken for delusional third world despots.

Overcompensating for tiny penises? :dunno:

recceguy said:
Overcompensating for tiny penises? :dunno:

Now, are you talking about the North Korean gentlemen above, or the buttons and bows brigade?

Not to be out done by the North Koreans, even civilians get into the spirit of things 
84728d5e34d566f6dac493564c427579.jpg

dapaterson said:
Now, are you talking about the North Korean gentlemen above, or the buttons and bows brigade?

Either or, depending on where you want to go. ;)

dapaterson said:

Those are not medals and ribbons, they're Scout badges.

For instance, the gentleman on the right built a bird house by himself (woodworker's badge), helped an old lady cross the street to get in the food line (good conduct badge), denounced his uncle's misgivings about the regime (scout's honour badge), held the door open for the great leader (politeness badge), etc. etc.

If they earn enough awards they achieve protection from the inevitable firing squad.

cupper said:
If they earn enough awards they achieve protection from the inevitable firing squad.

Well, there do seem to be enough to qualify as a sort of body armour, but I would be concerned that an anti-aircraft round could squeeze in between the badges.

cupper said:

Nahhh!  The Kingdom has developed special depleted uranium medal-piercing rounds for its firing squads.  ;D

On the topic of new Army badges, we are starting to receive another.  I still think the single maple leaf looked better and nicely balanced Army heritage with the modern national identity.  Regardless, we now have the attached.

dapaterson said:

gadaf100.jpg

Are those pictures of the ABC veterans group?

And I just noticed that on the Remembrance Day pics that the commander of the Army is wearing the 1st Canadian Army patch on his left shoulder.

Okay...!

Back