• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Cadpat

OceanBonfire said:
AFAIK, that is still the crew helmet. The new helmet replacing the current CG634 is the CM735:

https://www.janes.com/article/88827/dnd-takes-full-helmet-options-cs19d1

I bought a crew profile IIIa ballistic helmet as part of my ‘active shooter’ kit for work. The difference in weight between the new generation of helmets versus the issued helmets is really impressive (and yes, I recognize the cutaway makes a difference- but it’s still lighter material). Nice to see that CAF aid taking the opportunity to move to a lighter one with equivalent performance. Now if only they could do that with plates...

Journeyman said:
    ::)
If you had even a vague clue about our Army Commander, you'd know that he's not remotely like that.  I have no doubt that it was the decision of some staff officer who thought it would be a good idea.

...but good use of the whiney 'all officers suck' template.  :not-again:

Often the CO and RSM of the trialing unit are issued it as well.
It’s basically for two reasons: the CO and RSM will experience the new stuff and can validate it. The second is to    Show the rest this form of dress is authorized.

Hamish Seggie said:
Often the CO and RSM of the trialing unit are issued it as well.
It’s basically for two reasons: the CO and RSM will experience the new stuff and can validate it. The second is to    Show the rest this form of dress is authorized.

Of course. That explains Mike Rouleau :)

Brihard said:
I bought a crew profile IIIa ballistic helmet as part of my ‘active shooter’ kit for work. The difference in weight between the new generation of helmets versus the issued helmets is really impressive (and yes, I recognize the cutaway makes a difference- but it’s still lighter material). Nice to see that CAF aid taking the opportunity to move to a lighter one with equivalent performance. Now if only they could do that with plates...

Wait...you guys buy your own helmets? How about plate carriers?

Poppa said:
Wait...you guys buy your own helmets? How about plate carriers?

Plates are provided. Helmets are not, so a few of us buy our own.

Brihard said:

:Rant on:

OK, that's just dumb. You shouldn't have to buy your own body armour/ helmets!

:Rant off:

Brihard said:

Do they tell you what your plates are rated for/against or is it like the CAF and that info kept secret (from the people wearing them)  ;D

Journeyman said:
    ::)
If you had even a vague clue about our Army Commander, you'd know that he's not remotely like that.  I have no doubt that it was the decision of some staff officer who thought it would be a good idea.

...but good use of the whiney 'all officers suck' template.  :not-again:

This is a 'thing' that started long before him, unfortunately, but continues.  The previous Comd RCN did it recently as well. 

I didn't say anything about the LGen himself;  having met and spoke directly with him in a small group setting before his current position when he was D/Comd UN Command Korea.  I was left with the impression he was exceptionally intelligent, dedicated and professional.

Of course all officers don't suck, but hey, feel free to spin what people say however you want.  Doesn't change my position, or message.  Are there some very senior officers setting bad examples?  No question.

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people now have the new CADPAT? The pics I've seen in news articles recently of CAF members deployed OP LASER and they all appear to be wearing the old/all green CADPAT. But then I was talking to a guy who is a reservist in a city not far from where I live and he said he's been issued the new stuff as have several at his unit.

I was a bit skeptical but the main reason he mentioned it was to comment that he doesn't like it, it looks like puke, and he prefers the old CADPAT.

So that got me curious as to whether this is rolling out on a large scale now?

LittleBlackDevil said:
Just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people now have the new CADPAT? The pics I've seen in news articles recently of CAF members deployed OP LASER and they all appear to be wearing the old/all green CADPAT. But then I was talking to a guy who is a reservist in a city not far from where I live and he said he's been issued the new stuff as have several at his unit.

I was a bit skeptical but the main reason he mentioned it was to comment that he doesn't like it, it looks like puke, and he prefers the old CADPAT.

It is being rolled out CAF-wide, but maybe not everyone has turned their old stuff in.  I don't believe there is a hard deadline for everyone to switch over. 

LittleBlackDevil said:

I haven't heard anything about the J pattern roll out but I doubt reservists are getting it. Priority has been those going over seas, then reg force. We should be the last ones getting it.

Dimsum said:
It is being rolled out CAF-wide, but maybe not everyone has turned their old stuff in.  I don't believe there is a hard deadline for everyone to switch over.

So I take it that anyone new/being issued uniform for the first time is going to be given the new stuff then?

MilEME09 said:
I haven't heard anything about the J pattern roll out but I doubt reservists are getting it. Priority has been those going over seas, then reg force. We should be the last ones getting it.

I was a bit skeptical that this guy was "gilding the Lilley" a little but it seemed a weird thing to make up. Maybe he was going to be going on workup training for deployment or something.

LittleBlackDevil said:

https://army.ca/forums/threads/131102.0.html

LittleBlackDevil said:
So I take it that anyone new/being issued uniform for the first time is going to be given the new stuff then?

Sorry, I was thinking the newer cut of uniform (zippered breast pockets and large Cdn flag) as opposed to the one with the slanted breast pockets.  The new CADPAT pattern isn't fully out yet; just in user trials.

MilEME09 said:

The Air Force should be the last ones getting it. If they aren't attached to an Army unit, I don't see why they need a camouflage uniform. I have one friend in the Air Force who I tell to stop copying us and get their own uniform.

Kilted said:
I have one friend in the Air Force who I tell to stop copying us and get their own uniform.

I don't see why the 3 elements can't have their own distinct CADPAT uniforms.  Other than the development costs it shouldn't be much of an additional cost. Isn't the navy already developing a new CADPAT uniform to replace their NCD's?

stellarpanther said:
I don't see why the 3 elements can't have their own distinct CADPAT uniforms.  Other than the development costs it shouldn't be much of an additional cost. Isn't the navy already developing a new CADPAT uniform to replace their NCD's?

Why do we need to waste the money to do that? NCDs have a specific operational use. RCAF aircrew have flight suits (when they can get them apparently). RCN folks on land ops wear CADPAT much like CA folks on ship wear NCDs. CADPAT is Canadian Disruptive Pattern not Canadian Army Disruptive Pattern. If CADPAT is not sufficiently RCN/RCAF enough, there's already a distinctive uniform, literally called the Distinctive Environmental Uniform. Throw on your 3B.

Back