• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date
Colin P said:
Thanks for the info, I saw a video on FB I am trying to find

MacKenzie River Run
In the North, the RCN will operate small boats on Great Slave Lake in July. Two boats will potentially circumnavigate Great Slave Lake, while an additional two boats will proceed from Hay River up the MacKenzie River to Tuktoyaktuk.

Using Joint Task Force North’s Operation Nunakput, an annual surveillance and presence operation, as a backdrop, the RCN will gain valuable insight into small boat internal water operations and Canadian Ranger cooperation. Sailors will celebrate Canada 150 as modern-day voyageurs of Canada’s internal waters.

These signature events are just a sample of what the RCN has planned for the year, as a host of other events will be held in communities across the country from ships’ visits to maritime galas to participation in the Invictus Games.

“This is an exciting time to be a Canadian and part of the navy,” says VAdm Lloyd. “We have many wonderful activities planned for this special year, and I hope that all Canadians will have the chance to celebrate this milestone alongside members of the RCN.”

Here is a collection of photos I have of Operation Nunakput  https://www.facebook.com/pg/GOCANADANAVY/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1533451013380290

If you look under videos I have a number of videos from the trip.

Chris, this will get your gears turning, very LST looking http://www.cosbc.ca/index.php/current-issues/ships-of-the-week/item/3538-july-7-rotra-vente

Thanks Colin.

I never cease to be amazed at what people can do when left to their own devices.

Nice shot
105-17-052-683x1024.jpg

Why the curtains on each sides of the hull? Are there secrets there the Canadian Coast Guard wants to keep from everybody on the planet ? ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Why the curtains on each sides of the hull? Are there secrets there the Canadian Coast Guard wants to keep from everybody on the planet ? ;D

Welding/painting screens?  Irving has/had the same thing over the refit of the Halifax.  It looked like the entire ship was wrapped for Xmas. 

Underway said:
Welding/painting screens?  Irving has/had the same thing over the refit of the Halifax.  It looked like the entire ship was wrapped for Xmas.

Different types of hoarding are standard for metal/paint work.  There are different cleanliness standards for preparation, application and verification afterwards.

The benefit of doing most of the painting indoors is you don't need to provide extra covers so saves a lot of time and money to get the required quality.  If you mess it up things rust so it can be really expensive to fix after the fact.

But you have now triggered flashbacks to discussions of SSPC standards, NACE certifications and DFT checks...

TL:DR getting paint to dry properly is hard. 

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Overspray protection and to keep the shithawks off  [:D

Two items

A poke in Irving's eye http://m.thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1501804-leger-new-navy-ship-is-one-that-got-away-from-irving-shipbuilding

and open house at Seaspan Oct 1st https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/seaspan-vancouver-shipyards-open-house-tickets-37280131878

Is Seaspan serious, Colin?

I quote from their ad. : "the first large ship to be built in Canada in a generation".

Their generations can't be too long: OFSV (Seaspan): 64 meters and 3250 tons.

Two years ago, Davie completed (built in two years) the Cecon Excellence: 130 meters and 13600 tons. Since then, Davie has also completed two ferries, longer than the OFSV but about the same displacement.

And of course, the nearing finish stage of the first AOPS at Irving: 100 meters and  6450 tons.

Likely written by some young PR person or a quote written by the event organizing webpage is more likely, note the odd formatting as well.

Irving's jobs? jobs? jobs?

Irving Shipyard union questions hiring practices
Unifor says 27 foreign ironworkers brought to Halifax; company says it’s commited to hiring Canadians first

The union representing Halifax shipyard workers is concerned about Irving Shipbuilding’s ongoing practise of looking overseas for workers they say could be found at home.

In the winter, The Chronicle Herald learned Irving was holding job fairs in Eastern European cities such as Gdansk, Poland, and had hired a full-time, permanent international recruiter. Around the same time, the company also received criticism from the union for hiring a Spanish naval outfitting contractor to bring in employees for carpentry work on the Arctic and offshore patrol ships it is currently building as part of its $60-billion contract to build new vessels for the Canadian navy.

Irving is the prime contractor for the combat portion of the government’s National Shipbuilding Strategy and, in addition to building six Harry DeWolf-class Arctic offshore patrol ships, Irving is also building the navy’s new fleet of up to 15 Canadian surface combatants starting in the 2020s. The creation of long-term jobs in Canada has been consistently sold as one of the major benefits of the program.

But Unifor Local 1 says it is concerned that 27 ironworkers have been hired into the shipyard from Lithuania and Romania throughout the months of September and October. Irving says only 13 workers have been hired internationally at this time.

The union alleges that the company is not providing proper justification for the hiring of these workers, nor has it consulted with the union throughout the process...
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1513376-irving-shipyard-union-questions-hiring-practices

Mark
Ottawa

My son tells my wife that the Italian welders hired can't weld for shit.  He keeps failing their welds.  The others from Eastern Europe are also driving them nuts as they have no comprehension of safe working practices.  Should have hired Canadians...

What could possibly go wrong in an Irving shipyard? 

Could the produce a lesser product with quality control issues and be late while doing so?

Never!  That couldn't happen here!

SHIPS START HERE....

We are paying a premium to have the ships built here for the express purpose of building domestic expertise and giving Canadians good jobs. Now they do this, frankly Davie is looking better and better every day for the CSC.

Here's an interesting angle, as some of you might have heard a Chinese state owned corporation is attempting to buy Calgary based Aecon. Aecon also happens to have a steak in Irving from the articles I've read. I don't think any of our allies would be handing anything over to a company with partial ownership by the Chinese state.

Back