• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date
A few things happened today:

https://twitter.com/seaspan/status/836752637152346113

The last construction block for the first OFSV was lowered in to place - but the delivery schedule has slipped from November 2017 (IIRC) to "early 2018".

Construction of the third OFSV started today.  That was originally scheduled to start in late November - so a 3 month slippage there as well.  Construction of the lone (for now) OOSV should begin later this year as the yard can now work on 4 vessels (at different stages of development) at a time. 

The detailed design contract for the JSS was awarded to Seaspan today.  The first JSS is scheduled to begin construction after completion of the first OFSV in "early 2018".  It is to be delivered by "early 2021", a slip from November 2020.

Bets on CCG getting so far one and only new icebreaker from Seaspan on schedule?  From last December (further links at original):

...in fact the slippage of the Seaspan icebreaker’s delivery from 2021-22 to 2022-23 was already public this March, scroll down here. Also in March it was made public that the RCN JSS’ IOC had slipped from 2019 to 2020; now it has indeed slipped further to 2021. Gosharootie. Bets on the icebreaker’s schedule being kept? That Davie proposal seems well worth consideration.
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2016/12/12/mark-collins-seaspan-at-work-rcn-jsss-still-sliding-right-ccg-icebreaker-not-for-now/

Mark
Ottawa

With only davie on schedule , the problems keep mounting

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Actually, Davie is ahead of the already tight schedule they set for themselves. Watch for the ship entering service early fall of this year.

And if the government was smart enough to make a similar deal they offered for a second one now, it would be in the water in early 2019.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually, Davie is ahead of the already tight schedule they set for themselves. Watch for the ship entering service early fall of this year.

And if the government was smart enough to make a similar deal they offered for a second one now, it would be in the water in early 2019.

Davie is setting it self up well to be a good ship builder, a second Resolve class would go leaps and bounds for the RCN

Apparently, Thales Canada, a subsidiary of the French electronics Thales group, has won the right to negotiate of itself the in-service contract for the AOPS and JSS, as they had the best bid. If it pans out (the government and Thales have until the early fall to come to an agreement), I am pretty sure that the physical work on the ships will go to Davie.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Apparently, Thales Canada, a subsidiary of the French electronics Thales group, has won the right to negotiate of itself the in-service contract for the AOPS and JSS, as they had the best bid. If it pans out (the government and Thales have until the early fall to come to an agreement), I am pretty sure that the physical work on the ships will go to Davie.

That was announced some time ago. Refits may go to davie however all other work will be done alongside Halifax Esquimalt using local companies.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Sadly, they frequently fall short in the smrt decision making category.  I expect them to dirty the sheets on being smart and getting a second option from Davies.  I do hope they surprise me, but I'm not counting on it happening.

jollyjacktar said:
Sadly, they frequently fall short in the smrt decision making category.  I expect them to dirty the sheets on being smart and getting a second option from Davies.  I do hope they surprise me, but I'm not counting on it happening.

Hopefully, Davie can make a few sales of the Resolve concept to other nations and keep the yard going either way.  I find myself cheering for them.  I used to hate that yard but since the new ownership took over they've charmed me.

I liked Davie's Federal Fleet proposals as well all together

another resolve
the fast track icebreaker
and the three VS4220(?)

i am thinking that the three VS4220 have probably gone to the creditors by now though, does anyone have any info?

Being a West Coast boy I have a soft spot for Seaspan who have worked hard to step up to the plate and ran for years with no government contracts, I am also impressed with Davie and the Resolve class. Irving I have no time for from everything I hear about them from multiple sources.

Given what we are being told about the FY situation the Department is currently in, and the outlook for next FY, I would not place any bets on acquiring any new capital items that aren't already under contract. The fiscal outlook for the next 2-3 years is pretty gloomy, given all these new troop commitments that are being thrown around. I know the capital infrastructure budget is separate from the O&M budget, but the big number at the end of the day is still the same, and its how the pies gets sliced that will influence many decisions. 

Seaspan delivery of three CCG Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels sliding right:

1) Seaspan March 2016:

With production of the second OFSV now underway, significant progress continues on the first OFSV with 35 of 37 blocks currently under construction. The two CCG ships are part of VSY’s three vessel, incentive-based build contract for the construction of three OFSVs, which will be delivered under a ceiling price contract before the end of 2017 [emphasis added]. Work on the third OFSV is scheduled to begin later this year...
https://www.seaspan.com/seaspans-vancouver-shipyards-starts-construction-on-second-offshore-fisheries-science-vessel-ofsv

2) Gov't Feb. 28, 2017:

Minister Foote also took part in a steel-cutting ceremony for the third Offshore Fisheries Science Vessel (OFSV) being built for the Canadian Coast Guard. Seaspan's Vancouver Shipyards now has all three of OFSVs under construction, with the first ship scheduled for delivery in early 2018 [emphasis added]...
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/government-takes-final-step-before-building-joint-support-ships-2199453.htm

Displacement of OFSVs is 3247 MT--see Seaspan descriptions of ships they're building:
https://www.seaspan.com/building

And those vessels are wildly over-priced--but build in Canada, Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

New Canadian Coast Guard Vessels: Sticker Shock and Never Never Land (media scrutiny?)
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/mark-collins-new-canadian-coast-guard-vessels-sticker-shock-and-never-never-land-media-scrutiny/

Forever sliding right--in 2012 then-gov't said first two OFSVs would be delivered in 2014 and third in 2015!
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2012-2013/inst/dfo/st-ts04-eng.asp#mcp2

Want to bet on JSSs and icebreaker being anywhere near schedule? 

Mark
Ottawa

Seaspans CEO announced he will be retiring at the end of 2017, maybe the next guy Frank Butzelaar who will take over April 3rd, might get things back on track. Does any one know if there are financial penalties for the continued delays?

The first one is 65% finished, I suspect they will make up some time on the next 2 as most of the bugs are out of the system and design. They basically rebuilt the yard from scratch prior to doing this. The yard and the company were never a "government yard" so I expect they will do ok, I also expect that the former CEO is worn out from getting things up and running.

Colin P said:
The first one is 65% finished, I suspect they will make up some time on the next 2 as most of the bugs are out of the system and design. They basically rebuilt the yard from scratch prior to doing this. The yard and the company were never a "government yard" so I expect they will do ok, I also expect that the former CEO is worn out from getting things up and running.

They were doing reasonable trade on repair and refit work competing against US and Pacific Rim yards before the rebuild.  I can't help but wonder how they will do once the government contracts are finished.  It will be interesting to see what their price for a ship built to commercial standards for the commercial market will be.  I would expect timelines to be shorter and prices to be lower.

It will certainly make them more competitive in the repair market where they already have a good rep. Regardless of how good they are, we can't compete on wages, regulations with most overseas yards. The trade agreements may make it impossible to place tariffs on incoming new builds from Europe, however it may be possible to to do so with the Asia yards.

I doubt the Provincial or Federal politicians in the area will take on Irving. It would require a national push from Ottawa to challenge them. More ammo for Davie to attack Irving's contracts.

Colin P said:
I doubt the Provincial or Federal politicians in the area will take on Irving. It would require a national push from Ottawa to challenge them. More ammo for Davie to attack Irving's contracts.

Irvings doing that them selves with this one

Back