• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

Why the National Shipbuilding Strategy?  Canada could get less expensive ships more quickly if they are all built overseas.
One of the critical arguments against a homegrown national security industrial strategy has been the cost. It's an argument familiar from the shipbuilding context: taxpayers pay a premium when we task Canadian industry with delivering solutions, instead of turning to cheaper foreign manufacturers.

Elinor Sloan, a defence policy expert at Carleton University, said she believes the crisis will focus the public's attention on securing the critical industries and supplies the country needs in a global crisis.

"The trade-off, as we know, is that it can be more costly to build or produce at home," she said. "This crisis may engender a perspective among the public that the extra cost is worth it."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pandemic-covid-coronavirus-procurement-masks-ventilators-1.5525373

Uzlu said:
Why the National Shipbuilding Strategy?  Canada could get less expensive ships more quickly if they are all built overseas.https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pandemic-covid-coronavirus-procurement-masks-ventilators-1.5525373

As we have all learned through the Coronavirus is that many strategic things as possible should be built in Canada.

Strategic assets are not commodities but necessary for a nation’s survival. For reference see oil and the Middle East. Weapons are just as important.

Plus all is not rosy with oversea builds, just ask STQ about their new Ferry and seems some overseas warships have not fared so well when the poop hits the fan (or reinforced bow).

My guess is that with the new tugs, AOR, AOPS under construction, the CSC grinding through the design stage, that the next focus of the NSPS will be all Coast Guard. The MCDV's and Orca will have to solider on for sometime before replacement.

Colin P.: And the Liberals may prefer (and see political benefit) in focusing on the warm and fuzzy, non-military, CCG.

Mark
Ottawa

I wonder what power capabilities our AOP's and MCDV to fit small lasers and dazzlers would be? Possibly a capacitor bank to allow x number of shots. I can imagine laser dazzlers not only to discourage boats from getting to close, but also defeat/deflect optically guided weapons and non-state actor drones.

https://news.usni.org/2020/05/22/video-uss-portland-fires-laser-weapon-downs-drone-in-first-at-sea-test?fbclid=IwAR3hO_dlFAVBEv_ylpGkoYg2toSln9DZyHWwo9--NW_DQtzTfrFlUlqWkoI

Thoughts on LNG as a fuel for naval vessels? https://www.seaspan.com/seaspan-responds-government-british-columbias-announcement-regarding-support-liquefied-natural-gas-lng-bunkering

Colin P said:
Thoughts on LNG as a fuel for naval vessels? https://www.seaspan.com/seaspan-responds-government-british-columbias-announcement-regarding-support-liquefied-natural-gas-lng-bunkering

We have a lot of it, cheap too, we would need to move quickly to do it though. Be a hard sell to the RCN if we didn't have the infrastructure to produce enough and transport for the fleet. Good luck convincing the government though.

No to LNG for the fleet until you can figure out a way to get it everywhere and to transfer it at sea while underway.

On the other hand Coast Guard vessels for the coasts make all the sense in the world

Chris Pook said:
On the other hand Coast Guard vessels for the coasts make all the sense in the world

Only if the infrastructure exists for fueling.

Coast Guard vessels often end up refueling by truck to remain in their SAR areas.

Saw road diesel delivered to the vessel more than once.

Not a Sig Op said:
Only if the infrastructure exists for fueling.

Coast Guard vessels often end up refueling by truck to remain in their SAR areas.

Saw road diesel delivered to the vessel more than once.

So does the RCN need more AORs to help fuel the coast guard as well?

MilEME09 said:
So does the RCN need more AORs to help fuel the coast guard as well?

Are Coast Guard ships or, for that matter, MCDVs and AOPSs equipped to do RAS? 

lenaitch said:

AOPS can RAS. MCDV's and CCG cannot. In the Arctic CCG ships can fuel from commercial tanker while at anchor.

lenaitch said:

The buoy tenders actually end up being the "tanker" for a lot of the lighthouses and even for smaller government ships. We would put fuel bladders in workboats or use a steel landing craft with tanks to move the fuel to the beach and them pump it up to the lighthouse, which can be quite the challenge for some of them. This summer the CCG refueled the vessel RV David Thompson supporting Parks Canada research on the Franklin ships in the Arctic. The 1100 class have fuel manifold compartment on the Welldeck, with some modification they could accept RAS equipment, mainly the coupling point and piping and adding some of the rigging points, but there is no real need. Likely they would look for safe anchorage and come alongside the AOR.

I seem to remember watching a documentary about HMCS GOOSE BAY doing an Arctic tour and being refueled at sea by CCGS PIERRE RADISSON.

Swampbuggy said:
I seem to remember watching a documentary about HMCS GOOSE BAY doing an Arctic tour and being refueled at sea by CCGS PIERRE RADISSON.

I recall seeing pictures of RCN ships alongside a CCG ship picking up fuel, but the CCG ship is at anchor, a RAS I believe considered a at sea where both ships are underway?

Colin P said:
I recall seeing pictures of RCN ships alongside a CCG ship picking up fuel, but the CCG ship is at anchor, a RAS I believe considered a at sea where both ships are underway?
Generally yes.  That was an MCDV IIRC, refueling from a CCG.

As for LNG fuel, no.  We can't even use cheaper aircraft fuels because of explosive hazards.  If the explosive vapor point is to low its a no go.

Back