• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CF helmet in testing

Wonder how well these one will work in a tank? Current ones work like crap! "But don't worry we are currently developing an armour vehicle crew helmet." That was only a dozen years or so a go  ::)

Tank Troll said:
Wonder how well these one will work in a tank? Current ones work like crap! "But don't worry we are currently developing an armour vehicle crew helmet." That was only a dozen years or so a go  ::)

I've seen armoured crewman helmets around once and a while. Older ones. It seems that the inner layer of the new helmet would be mainly for crewman who they don't think require the ballistic protection.

This design seriously makes me mad.

Tank Troll said:

The combat vehicle crew modular helmet is being fielded now.  if you are entitled you should be seeing them already or in the next 17 months as the fielding plan concludes.  This is project 23 of 25 in the Clothe The Soldier program.

MC

Having been through both the Valcartier and Toronto research establishments around the time this idea was kicking off, I am happy to see the product has come along way from the motorcycle helmet mock-up that they originally had (along with a few others that mostly looked like a G.I. Joe Steele Brigade thing).

The modular idea was there in the beginning.  A helmet that could provide all the protection of our current helmet and more, could provide hearing/ear protection (possibly with directional sound amplification too), environmentally sealed as needed for CBRN environments, climate controlled and integrated or compatible vision aides.

Anyway, I am curious where this fits in the spectrum from ADM(S&T) directed experiment to Army directed product development.  The science guys will go technology demonstration projects (TDPs) that design and test something only to prove the something is possible.  TDPs are not generally setup well to transition the end product to general issue ... and TDPs are not intended to deliver an issueable product either.  The TDP lessons can go on to help define requirements (we've proven what is possible, so we can now ask industry to provide it) or be shared with partners in industry. 

The exact nature of this particular experiment would give an idea how far down the road a new helmet might actually be.  If this were something more than a TDP and a new helmet were imminent, then I would have expected LFTEU to have been at the forefront with the various DRDC being told to take a spectators only seat.

Anyway, going back to my previous post - I would like to see our next issue helmet as one of those Storm Trooper or late model Clone Trooper helmets.

MedCorps said:
The combat vehicle crew modular helmet is being fielded now.  if you are entitled you should be seeing them already or in the next 17 months as the fielding plan concludes.  This is project 23 of 25 in the Clothe The Soldier program.

MC

Just in time too! That was close, we almost had to send them to Astan, and see if they would work in an actual theater of war.

We got to try out the Israeli paratrooper helmet in Germany in 84, it was great, didn't flop around and didn't interfere with head movement. Did not provide to much protection to the neck/ears though. When we marked it higher than the rest, we told by the officer overseeing the trial not to be silly and there was no way would be buying an Israeli product. Also tested body armour at the same time.

Colin P said:
We got to try out the Israeli paratrooper helmet in Germany in 84, it was great, didn't flop around and didn't interfere with head movement. Did not provide to much protection to the neck/ears though. When we marked it higher than the rest, we told by the officer overseeing the trial not to be silly and there was no way would be buying an Israeli product. Also tested body armour at the same time.

I've heard similar stories about other items - the result was predetermined but they had to go through the steps.

On the Stars and Stripes web site today there is an article about the new helmet they are testing and looks similar to the one being tested by us . And ya they have some of the same points good and bad being said about theres

Mind you we were still wearing the steel pot at that time, so almost any newer helmet was an improvement. The Steel pot did make an excellent washbasin however, a feature lost in the newer helmets. I have to wonder how much an improvement is the new basic helmet over the current issue?

Colin P said:
I have to wonder how much an improvement is the new basic helmet over the current issue?

I would say that this is one of the purposes of the R&D and testing going on, no ?

I don't knock them for testing new stuff, but issuing it if the basic helmet does little different might not be a good use of funds. Not to mention Crown assest clamouring to get the "old helmets" to sell to some 1/3 rd world country at 10 cents on the dollar or to have them destroyed to meet some dim witted UN treaty.

It seem's someone was faster then DLR !!

http://www.45enord.ca/2012/10/la-firme-montrealaise-revision-military-recoit-un-contrat-de-larmee-danoise/

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a translator anywheres on that link. I get the jist of most of the article but am lacking on a bit of its detail.

Jimmy_D said:
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a translator anywheres on that link. I get the jist of most of the article but am lacking on a bit of its detail.

Watch the video. It's in (American) English.

Jimmy_D said:

Funny you should say that, because the French in the article is atrocious: It was clearly written in English and run through an automated translation program. I suspect reversing the process will give you a highly readable article in English.

Surprisingly it did come out perfect English. I normally do not bother with online translators because it usually always comes garbelled, so I normally rely on what bit of french I actually understand and try to piece things together.

Thanks.

The lobster tail in back needs work...but what strikes me most of how very similar this is to the "Greek" style helmets the CombatReform.com guys have been tossing around for years and years.

Question is protective value, which will of course be classifed.

I was under the impression that a helmet heavy enough to provide protection equal to a ballistic plate was too heavy with current tech.

I agree with above comments re; modular---NOT! higher will just push the max protection at all times for CYA.

The thing I want most is a helmet that will not push up in back when I go prone.

Shrek1985 said:
The lobster tail in back needs work...but what strikes me most of how very similar this is to the "Greek" style helmets the CombatReform.com guys have been tossing around for years and years.

Question is protective value, which will of course be classifed.

I was under the impression that a helmet heavy enough to provide protection equal to a ballistic plate was too heavy with current tech.

I agree with above comments re; modular---NOT! higher will just push the max protection at all times for CYA.

The thing I want most is a helmet that will not push up in back when I go prone.

Interesting, the thing I want most in a helmet is something I can wear comfortably for hours, or days if need be, without giving me a splitting head-ache.

MPMick said:
Interesting, the thing I want most in a helmet is something I can wear comfortably for hours, or days if need be, without giving me a splitting head-ache.

;) That's an option?

Back