• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

Tailoring? Why you high falut'in 1%er, you'll take what Logistik Unicorp gives you as is and you'll damn well like it!!!!

Many people don't understand you're supposed to take your stuff from Logistik Unicorp to the tailor shop for final fitting.

The length of people's DEU pants these days is ridiculous. Drives me bananas.

Last edited:
Many people don't understand you're supposed to take your stuff from Logistik Unicorp to the tailor shop for final fitting.

I'm not preparing for a flood, so I don't get my pants tailored to suit flood conditions...🤣

Similarly, some aircrew wear 2-piece flight suits. Guess what belt they're supposed to wear with it? The same green (now brown) nylon "cargo strap" belt issued for CADPAT, which would also be a molten burning mess in a fire situation.

I've pointed that out before and folks said "if your belt is melting then there are bigger issues". I don't know - nylon melting to 2 layers of clothing from my skin seems like a pretty big issue to me.

People will be too worried that their Magnums, Rockys etc will be melting to their feet to notice their belt first....

😁

Because Logistiks is totally incapable of finding anything that fits right and has a website that is pretty much useless. Not to mention a lot of their stuff is crap quality.

Because Logistiks is totally incapable of finding anything that fits right and has a website that is pretty much useless. Not to mention a lot of their stuff is crap quality.

I don't debate the quality, it's garbage. But it's shouldn't fit right. That's what a tailor is for.

I don't find the website hard to use...

If you ever bought suit it's the same. Buying off the shelf with no tailoring is just slovenly.

I don't debate the quality, it's garbage. But it's shouldn't fit right. That's what a tailor is for.

I don't find the website hard to use...

If you ever bought suit it's the same. Buying off the shelf with no tailoring is just slovenly.
I never had to use Logistiks for the army as my service predated it. I do use it for buying Cadet and Officer uniform bits for the Navy League. You can tell they don't really give a crap about us and it's not optimised at all for our needs nor any abilty to customise the site. I get we are a small part of their business. We pay up front for everything and the volunteer/Cadet don't own the uniform and it will be reissued as required. Since all the money is either donated or raised, we do expect value for money. I used to be able to do bulk officer orders, now I have to order separately for each officer and input all their measurements before it will let me order, then they charge us shipping on each order. If your going to ask for measurements and then send us a tunic that is to small, despite the measurements being accurate, I do have issues with that.

100%

I think a lot of people imagine they are taller than they actually are.

It would also help if the CAF took steps to beat some sense into its members; in that occasional tailoring, polishing, dry cleaning, and maintaining a uniform is a personal responsibility. The Crown provides you with the cloth, it's the member that turns it into a uniform in accordance with the CFDI, Environmental Instructions, and individual Branch/Corps/Regimental instructions.

"I shouldn't have to pay for this... it's the Crown's responsi-"

Ack... but it's YOUR responsibility to not look like a bag of milk in uniform. Personal pride and the odd buck here and there does wonders for that....

Please allow me to share my perspective as a long-out-of-the-game MARE who has worked as an engineer (usually some type of field work) for some decades.

First, where I work, everyone has the RIGHT to a safe work environment and everyone has a RIGHT to stop work in unsafe conditions. This is taken very seriously. The most junior construction worker can bring an entire construction site to a halt if that worker 'feels' unsafe. It is the responsibility of the site health and safety (H&S) team, site superintendents and site managers to address any safety concerns - real or imagined. (If they are imagined safety hazards, the worker will be counseled as to why their fears are misplaced and what is being done to address them.). There are ZERO negative repercussions for stopping work - indeed, the individual who made the call will be acknowledged and recognized for their initiative and attention to safety.

Failure to follow H&S regulations WILL result in dismissal, penalties or fines. Managers who ignore H&S rules can go to jail.

So this is what I don't understand about what is going on in the Navy. There must be some law or regulation that applies to service personnel that assures them a safe work environment. Sure, you can be ordered to storm a machine gun nest but you shouldn't be expected to drive vehicles with no brakes (for example).

Are there health and safety committees? H&S audits? Who is responsible for this?

If there are SAFETY hazards, they should be promptly and immediately addressed and rectified. I would fully expect that there are applicable regulations to address this situation. Can someone shed some light?
I agree with all of that should be happening, but reality is maybe risk assessments at best. I have no idea if they are still doing the H&S audits but the Formation Safety and Environment folks have this info but aren't doing anything with it.

Pretty good reason things on AOPs keep getting leaked to the press.

The beard/goatee with SCBA on is weird, and I think if anyone does get hurt as a result a whole bunch of someones should be charged for it, but also no idea if that person would get a VAC coverage as they weren't wearing PPE correctly.

The idiots that are trying to play it off as a dress regs thing internally should also be shot; if you want to give someone an exemption to grow a beard cool; but means they can't be on duty watch and have limited roles on the ship for DC (so if you aren't sailing with full complement is a big problem, and the min crew numbers require everyone).

I agree with all of that should be happening, but reality is maybe risk assessments at best. I have no idea if they are still doing the H&S audits but the Formation Safety and Environment folks have this info but aren't doing anything with it.

Pretty good reason things on AOPs keep getting leaked to the press.

The beard/goatee with SCBA on is weird, and I think if anyone does get hurt as a result a whole bunch of someones should be charged for it, but also no idea if that person would get a VAC coverage as they weren't wearing PPE correctly.

The idiots that are trying to play it off as a dress regs thing internally should also be shot; if you want to give someone an exemption to grow a beard cool; but means they can't be on duty watch and have limited roles on the ship for DC (so if you aren't sailing with full complement is a big problem, and the min crew numbers require everyone).
Yes they are doing health and safety audits, in fact I have one coming up. Pmed comes in periodically to check water test logs as well. We also have NETE coming in to do safety audits along with the fire hall.

Before the new dress regs there was a number of people claiming to follow the Norse religion found a sympathetic padre and now was allowed beards. Did not affect their status of duty watch or DC.

We were deployed when the new dress regulations came in, beards came up. We were told by the formation chief that small Goatees were allowed. Didn't sound right to me as everyone is different and what exactly constitutes a small goatee. Put the question to STA and they wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I think everyone is so afraid of these dress regulations they don't want to be the person to rock the boat and possibly be called out.

Yes they are doing health and safety audits, in fact I have one coming up. Pmed comes in periodically to check water test logs as well. We also have NETE coming in to do safety audits along with the fire hall.

Before the new dress regs there was a number of people claiming to follow the Norse religion found a sympathetic padre and now was allowed beards. Did not affect their status of duty watch or DC.

We were deployed when the new dress regulations came in, beards came up. We were told by the formation chief that small Goatees were allowed. Didn't sound right to me as everyone is different and what exactly constitutes a small goatee. Put the question to STA and they wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I think everyone is so afraid of these dress regulations they don't want to be the person to rock the boat and possibly be called out.
Yup, that's all wrong. All falls under the 'Respiratory Protection Program' RPP for the CAF, which is really clear that you need to be clean shaven. Small goatees, long sideburns etc aren't allowed. Do whatever they want for wannabe vikings, but they shouldn't be on duty as they need to be able to fire fight.

That is all run for the CAF by the fire marshall and falls under ADM(IE) so any deviations have to be approved at the VCDS level with risk accepted by the CDS. The RPP is issued by the CDS. The RCN doesn't have authority to not follow it.

Anyone saying otherwise doesn't have the authority, and it's a legal order, so not really sure why it's so difficult to follow. Last I checked it was illegal to give orders contravening orders from higher authority.

Yup, that's all wrong. All falls under the 'Respiratory Protection Program' RPP for the CAF, which is really clear that you need to be clean shaven. Small goatees, long sideburns etc aren't allowed. Do whatever they want for wannabe vikings, but they shouldn't be on duty as they need to be able to fire fight.

That is all run for the CAF by the fire marshall and falls under ADM(IE) so any deviations have to be approved at the VCDS level with risk accepted by the CDS. The RPP is issued by the CDS. The RCN doesn't have authority to not follow it.

Anyone saying otherwise doesn't have the authority, and it's a legal order, so not really sure why it's so difficult to follow. Last I checked it was illegal to give orders contravening orders from higher authority.
100% Correct !!

It would also help if the CAF took steps to beat some sense into its members; in that occasional tailoring, polishing, dry cleaning, and maintaining a uniform is a personal responsibility. The Crown provides you with the cloth, it's the member that turns it into a uniform in accordance with the CFDI, Environmental Instructions, and individual Branch/Corps/Regimental instructions.

"I shouldn't have to pay for this... it's the Crown's responsi-"

Ack... but it's YOUR responsibility to not look like a bag of milk in uniform. Personal pride and the odd buck here and there does wonders for that....
OH you old fogie!!! How dare you insist the troops have pride in their uniforms. They have bigger things to worry about like hair colour, should men wear skirts, nail polish colours etc ;)

It was called Basic Training where a MCpl or Sergeant- like Archie Rafters of The RCR -taught you how to iron etc and take pride in your appearance. And do drill. And land nav etc etc. BUT I guess the toxic masculinity of it all.....

And hem your damn pants ffs.

And another thing - stop with the Norse religion bullshit. Shave the effing beard off if your job demands you be clean shaven. Fuck.

Yes fully aware about RPP and the implications of not having a good seal. It boggles my mind that after many years of enforcing the policy on ships that's its been thrown out. Just a cursory look at different ships on social media it appears many ships are also allowing full on beards.

It was actually an update to the IMO rules; you can still do it 12 miles out (or within 3 miles if it's ground up and you aren't in a special area).

Meanwhile lobsters off Halifax still feed off raw sewage that's only been screened. 🤷‍♂️

https://wwwcdn.imo.org/localresources/en/OurWork/Environment/Documents/Simplified overview of the discharge provisions of the revised MARPOL Annex V.pdf
I'm aware, was just me being sarcastic

There's the Navy thinking they are their own service again 🤣

Shocked Pikachu Face:

pokemon what GIF

Yes fully aware about RPP and the implications of not having a good seal. It boggles my mind that after many years of enforcing the policy on ships that's its been thrown out. Just a cursory look at different ships on social media it appears many ships are also allowing full on beards.
Maybe, just maybe....No more Firefighters and Hull Techs to enforce (explain) said policy...

MY 2 cents..

Maybe, just maybe....No more Firefighters and Hull Techs to enforce (explain) said policy...

MY 2 cents..
Might be the case. Fire fighters weren't navy, so their career progression didn't depend on the navy's approval.

It's a lot easier to raise a fuss when you're not killing your career.

Except that the new Dress Regs are also an order issued by the CDS. So which one do you follow, and which one overides the other, and who decides?

Where I come from we use to call that a clusterfuck. And it's not found only in the military: The company I work for right now has this confusing thing where Human Ressources makes it clear that no use of a personnal cell phone will be tolerated during working hours (or else, you are written up), while the supply side of the house requires you to take pictures of transport breakage of items with your phone to send them before any replacement is authorised, because IT has locked down all the USB ports for security reason and will not release them for our previously issued cameras. Go figure!

Back