• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

The one I'm most irate about was this one:

Irate is one thing.
Being able to have an open and frank conversation about the new standards, and what it does for inclusivity ( or doesn't) shouldn't result in follow on ad-hominem attacks.

Your debate style is unfortunately typical of the "woke" movement. No one holds rational discourse on differing viewpoints anymore, instead choosing to attack the other, or stand on a "woke" soap box, holding forth that one must be right, by virtue of allegedly holding the moral high ground, and those not sharing those opinions are unenlightened, bigots, or both.

Highlighting ( however bluntly), that the trans population is an extremely small one. And further highlighting that the trans population also suffers from statistically high incidence rates of mental illness...then actively hypothesizing that recruitment might be better focused on more fertile ground is not bigotry. You may not like what has been stated, nor what has been hypothesized, but perhaps holding off on your attempts to "call out", the messenger, instead seeking to inform, or understand how their opinion is informed might be an advisable course of action.

Of course it's easier to use moral outrage and offense.....as today society lends it so much currency in discussion....

I came across this article a while back and thought it might have some relevance to this discussion: A retired Marine 3-star general explains 'critical military theory'

The condition is exacerbated and enabled when the most senior military leaders — those who ought to know better — defer to the idealistic judgments of those whose credentials are either nonexistent or formed entirely by ideology…

To be true to its purpose, the U.S. military cannot be a mirror image of the society it serves.Values that are admirable in civilian society — sensitivity, individuality, compassion, and tolerance for the less capable — are often antithetical to the traits that deter a potential enemy and win the wars that must be fought: Conformity, discipline, unity…

Direct ground combat, of the type we must be prepared to fight, is only waged competently when actions are instinctive, almost irrationally disciplined, and wholly sacrificial when required. Consensus building, deference, and (frankly) softness have their place in polite society, but nothing about intense ground combat is polite — it is often sub-humanly coarse…

There is only one overriding standard for military capability: lethality. Those officeholders who dilute this core truth with civil society’s often appropriate priorities (diversity, gender focus, etc.) undermine the military’s chances of success in combat. Reduced chances for success mean more casualties, which makes defeat more likely. Combat is the harshest meritocracy that exists, and nothing but ruthless adherence to this principle contributes to deterrence and combat effectiveness…

more at link
Same thing was said when women were allowed into combat roles and then homosexuals were. Guess what? We didn’t get worse because of it.

Same thing was said when women were allowed into combat roles and then homosexuals were. Guess what? We didn’t get worse because of it.
With that statement I‘m not sure the points in the essay were understood.

Since you mentioned it and at the risk of a giant controversial tangent, this Marine Corps study demonstrated coed fighting units performed worse. Before the pitch forks come out; I didn’t write it. But consider why women and mens sports are separate (even professional sports takes winning more seriously).

With that statement I‘m not sure the points in the essay were understood.

Since you mentioned it and at the risk of a giant controversial tangent, this Marine Corps study demonstrated coed fighting units performed worse. Before the pitch forks come out; I didn’t write it. But consider why women and mens sports are separate (even professional sports takes winning more seriously).

The experiment was heavily skewed to spotlight areas where women were likely to underperform men and neglected to even look at areas where women were likely to be better at then men. From the report itself:

“This event did not address all potential tasks or missions of all closed MOSs, nor did it address all provisional rifle company tasks that female Marines in open MOSs assigned to previously closed units could perform. Instead, this event focused on what were considered the most physically demanding tasks that Marines could reasonably be expected to perform on a frequent basis. “

[
The experiment was heavily skewed to spotlight areas where women were likely to underperform men and neglected to even look at areas where women were likely to be better at then men. From the report itself:

Are the areas women are likely to be better than men at. Spoken about in the article (I didn't read it yet).

I’ll just offer one thought: if hair colour, painted fingernails, or tattoos tangibly impact your unit or team’s discipline, then your unit or team didn’t have discipline to begin with.

It will be a non issue for the combat arms.
A private from a combat arms unit round my parts just got 5 extras for having his hair touching his ears.

We still hammer people for not having ID discs or not having their ID card in their left breast pocket.

Basically wanna merit low this year for promotion? Have some fun with the dress regs.

[

Are the areas women are likely to be better than men at. Spoken about in the article (I didn't read it yet).

A private from a combat arms unit round my parts just got 5 extras for having his hair touching his ears.

We still hammer people for not having ID discs or not having their ID card in their left breast pocket.

Basically wanna merit low this year for promotion? Have some fun with the dress regs.
And for a throw away line I tend to overuse, this is another reason why God invented sergeants.

[

"Still?" Never heard of it in the 80's......

Bring ID disc's for DAG purposes and/or inspections and ID cards in "left breast pocket"? We'd have probably been shit on for being so stupid as to make it easier to lose.

Weird stuff....

I’ll just offer one thought: if hair colour, painted fingernails, or tattoos tangibly impact your unit or team’s discipline, then your unit or team didn’t have discipline to begin with.
I agree. That is why I think this is dangerous.

"Still?" Never heard of it in the 80's......

Bring ID disc's for DAG purposes and/or inspections and ID cards in "left breast pocket"? We'd have probably been shit on for being so stupid as to make it easier to lose.

Weird stuff....

Do you want your ID card to go through the laundry twice a week? Because that’s how your ID card goes through the laundry twice a week.

Occupational requirements must be bona fide. But they should include atypical situations as well as ordinary ones. Example: moving "X" from A to B will ordinarily be done as a 2-person lift. Occasionally a person must be able to do it alone. Therefore, no-one incapable of the one-person lift meets standard.

[

Most people consider me weird for wearing the ID Discs in the first place. My guess would be a lot of people in my unit don't wear them. It also took me five years to get my first set of ID Discs and Name Tags, so part of that issue might belong to the system as well.

I can't understand why anyone would make you put your ID card in such an unsecured place, it's like they are almost looking for an excuse to charge someone for losing it.

That reminds me of BMQ where we weren't allowed to have anything in our tunic pockets. We weren't allowed to have our wallets on us, we had to put our ID and health card lose in one of our pockets and carry notebooks and pens in one of the cargo pockets which really helped for drill.

Just run of the mill brain washing.

Can you imagine a civilian employee losing 2 and a half weekends seeing their family because their hair slightly touched their ears? And the option to argue meant you become a pariah with a bullseye painted on your back. Finish it off with a looming threat of getting posted and have to uproot your family.

Occupational requirements must be bona fide. But they should include atypical situations as well as ordinary ones. Example: moving "X" from A to B will ordinarily be done as a 2-person lift. Occasionally a person must be able to do it alone. Therefore, no-one incapable of the one-person lift meets standard.
This is exactly why the new dress regulations are coming out.

How would purple hair, a goatee, or pink nail polish impact your ability to lift?

Just run of the mill brain washing.

Can you imagine a civilian employee losing 2 and a half weekends seeing their family because their hair slightly touched their ears? And the option to argue meant you become a pariah with a bullseye painted on your back. Finish it off with a looming threat of getting posted and have to uproot your family.
Yet the CAF wonders why people don't join/stay in...

Back